Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Does anyone remember the time when iOS updates actually meant something? There was a time not long ago when they actually launched innovative features...

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Just FYI: the Advertising Identifier reset button is buried way down in Settings -> General -> About -> Advertising.

There's also an on/off switch for the "Limit Ad Tracking" setting.

Did you take notice of whether it was on or off by default?

I'll be turning it on.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I agree IOS is dying fast! Why do you think we are all waiting for Jailbreak!? For the same reason people are leaving IOS! or correct me if I am wrong?

We = small group of people compared to total iOS users. Not everyone needs their phones customized/tweaked. We have six iPhones in our family and only I care about the jailbreak.

JPOWA

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
MuscleNerd posted on twitter: Do not update via OTA! (I'm assuming updating through iTunes is ok though..)

Just did :(

He explained it was because updating OTA adds new SHSH blobs, and also creates a new scenario for them to test (which they don't have time for). Better to just stick with iTunes update until more information is available.

What about if someone has to restore? Will it be ok?

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Did you take notice of whether it was on or off by default?

I'll be turning it on.

It's off by default, allowing apple to anonymously track you and provide you with ads based on your location.

As for me? I turned the switch ON to prevent apple tracking me. (Saves data, battery, privacy)

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Downloading iTunes Match songs from the cloud? I'd love to be able to do that without "turning on" iTunes Match on my phone and having to wipe my music library. (I'm on the subway a lot, and the cloud doesn't exactly work down there.)

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
IPv6 over LTE... keeps getting better!

I connect my ip5 up to my desktop machine at work mainly to charge it. But I've discovered that it actually will tether doing that. I normally don't care much, because the tethering in network preferences is a lower priority than my local connection...

but it turns out that the tethering is presenting me with a usable IPv6 address as well!

My local connection where I am has a private (unroutable) IPv6 address, and it's never worked, but with my phone plugged in, I can ssh -b [tethering address] -6 dest and it *works*!

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
All i want is the ability for Siri to search for videos on my shared library on my iPad... Is that too much to ask?

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I like how after the reboot with the 6.1 installed the start up screen is the welcome screen like how you activate a new iOS product

akf2000

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Downloading iTunes Match songs from the cloud? I'd love to be able to do that without "turning on" iTunes Match on my phone and having to wipe my music library. (I'm on the subway a lot, and the cloud doesn't exactly work down there.)

EXACTLY! Previously you'd be allowed to do this! Now it wipes your entire iPhone - I'd have to download 2,500 songs over wi-fi, no thanks. My Match subs is such a waste.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
It's off by default, allowing apple to anonymously track you and provide you with ads based on your location.

As for me? I turned the switch ON to prevent apple tracking me. (Saves data, battery, privacy)

Mine came set to on by default. Weird that yours didn't.

xxnemoxx

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
In other news:

Apple releases, iOS 6.1.1 New features include:

Fixed security Issues.

Now we wait for the jailbreak :D

Banan911

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Aarhus, Denmark
Fantastic and very anticipated update. I can now take advantage of my carriers LTE network.

58/20 Mbps. How awesome from a mobile device ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 86

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Been working for a day now with the beta 5 / GM update and I am pleasantly surprised by improved speed and battery time on my 4S.

I prefer stable usability over eye-candy user-interfaces such as Jellybean and Windows Phone stuff any day.

Great job, Apple!

Says the person running Apple betas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.