Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
For those (like me) struggling to choose, hopefully this will help put an end to the endless posts about which of these two superb products to spend your hard earned cash on..

Instructions: score the questions on a scale of 0=Not at all to 5=Very much

Factors for the iPad mini

How much do you value the cost saving of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)

TOTAL for iPad mini =

Factors for the iPad retina

How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5)
How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5)

Total for iPad retina =

Whichever scores higher wins !

(And if you don't like the answer that you get ... well then maybe that has helped make your decision too :D )

Deag.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory

1. How much do you value the cost saving of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
2. How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
3. How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
4. How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5)
5. How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)

TOTAL for iPad mini =

6. How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5)
7. How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5)
8. How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
9. How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
10. How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5)

Total for iPad retina =

1. 0
2. 5 (I would like to give this a 7 out of 5)
3. 2.5
4. 2
5. 3.5

Mini = 13
==========

6. 2
7. 0
8. 2
9. 4
10. 4

ipad = 12

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
1. 0
2. 5 (I would like to give this a 7 out of 5)
3. 2.5
4. 2
5. 3.5

Mini = 13
==========

6. 2
7. 0
8. 2
9. 4
10. 4

ipad = 12

Too close to call dude... you would be happier with either. As a trained scientist, I would say this is within the margin of error of the test !

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
For those (like me) struggling to choose, hopefully this will help put an end to the endless posts about which of these two superb products to spend your hard earned cash on..

How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)

TOTAL for iPad mini =

How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5)
How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5)

Total for iPad retina =

(And if you don't like the answer that you get ... well then maybe that has helped make your decision too :D )

Deag.

Is the ipad 4 really more future proof?

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
For me the scores are

mini 4,3,2,2,3 = 14
retina 5,2,2,2,2 = 13

Mini is the winner (for me)... just.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I didn't score it like that, but the mini won out for me. I considered the lightness/portability/less cost/newer design to be more important for me than the retina/larger screen/faster internals.

And edited to add, I had both right in front of me, and had the money to purchase either of them right then and there, and had to make a decision (and I hate making decisions like that), and went with the mini.

Last edited:

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
How much do you value the cost saving of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 4
How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0

TOTAL for iPad mini = 4

How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5) = 3
How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5) = 4
How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5) = 0
How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5) = 5
How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5) = 0

Total for iPad retina = 12

Mini = 4
iPad 4 = 12

No contest.

Side note: The mini speakers may be stereo, but head to head I find the iPad 4's speaker better in overall tonality and quality.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I think you're missing one very important attribute for the mini. Its real world battery life is incredible. Much longer than the rated 10 hours. This has been well documented on Anandtech and is a significant benefit over the iPad with retina.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Whichever scores higher? This isn't a guide; more like a chick magazine survey but iPads replaced men. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I never got these type of surveys. Simply put the person is going to put more emphasis on what they already want. That is I want an iPad mini so I'm going to consciously pick what makes the iPad mini a better choice for me.

The bottom line, pick the product that best fits your needs. Do you want a retina display, then get the iPad 4, need or like the smaller form factor of a 7" tablet, then get the mini. Simple :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Struggling to choose is accomplished by trying out what you are interested in, not by this whatever scoring thread.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Improved guide:

Want a small iPad? Pick the iPad mini.
Want a big iPad? Go with the regular iPad.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I never got these type of surveys. Simply put the person is going to put more emphasis on what they already want.

I think you DO "get" these surveys after all.

They're a silly construct to help people realize they actually do know what they want.

Regards,
Tom

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I never got these type of surveys. Simply put the person is going to put more emphasis on what they already want. That is I want an iPad mini so I'm going to consciously pick what makes the iPad mini a better choice for me.

yup ! that's kinda the point.

They're a silly construct to help people realize they actually do know what they want.

and yup again.

All it does is list the differences and perhaps help folk consider how much they value the differences.... and maybe we get in 1 less "which iPad should I buy ?" thread that seem so popular on this board.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011

TOTAL for iPad mini =

Total for iPad retina =

Deag.

=13

=13

Dammit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.