Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
What other equipment? My ATV did that too because my TV is not HDCP-compliant. So did my TiVO and FiOS cable box when I watched movies. It's BS. I had to get a Cables Unlimited HDCP stripper from a bankrupt Chinese company for $50 :mad:

My Xbox, PS3, and my SkyHD Box (HD DVR) work with my TV without batting an eye. But my AppleTV refused to play ball.

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
So does this mean my 720p Apple TV 2 will play music from the cloud? I tried to get it to do that all weekend, finally figured out that it was not the newest Apple TV anymore and went and bought a Apple TV 3. But its still in the shrikwrap and I can return it.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Amazon is a competitor in where Apple wants to go, durrrrrrrrrrrr.

If you use an TV, you'll find out exactly why it's actually a desirable product.

Why would Apple care about another video service, unless they are holding out on the whole App Store issue?

talk

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2007
I wonder if it means that I'll be able to use bluetooth headsets with the apple tv now.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
about time they enabled keyboard use. i felt like pulling out my hair when i have to search for something and select letter by letter.

Plenty apps you can use on an iphone or ipad, which have keyboard functionality

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Is the 2nd generation Apple TV compatible with the Bluetooth Keyboard? I believe it has BT (iFixit) but Apple is known to lie and say the hardware just can't support it when it can.

I have an ATV2, an Apple Wireless Keyboard, and am installing the update now.

I'll let you know when I can test it.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
More Apple TV's on the way? I've always wondered how well they sell, especially in the UK. Everyone I seem to bump into has an iPhone (or Android these days), everyone in my industry has an Apple computer somewhere, but nobody has an Apple TV for personal reasons (work reasons yeah).

I'm in the US and love mine. I bought my parents one and they were like, "Meh," but now use it everyday. They don't really care so much that it's an Apple TV, though. They call it their Netflix machine. In my opinion, if you're willing to buy a $500 iPad or $300 iPhone, you'd be nuts not to get the $99 Apple TV. Once you get into it, it has so much functionality it's crazy, and it plays so well with iOS devices.

childs12111

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Minneapolis
Can't find Purchased Music???

All I have under the Music icon is the option to turn on iTunes Match. Does anyone have any idea (or screenshots) of where to find the Purchased Music?

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
Nothing like that on my second generation ATV. I always wondered why they removed TV Show folders on the second gen one, it's so stupid that you have to scroll though every season instead of one item per show.

I believe this was added in a software update awhile ago. So maybe you're not up to date? My Apple TV is a 2nd gen too.

Unless you mean playlists for TV Shows and Movies from the cloud, in which case there are no playlists. This is just for movies and TV shows from computers.

Settings > Audio & Video > Show Playlists

Toggle it from "Music Only" to "All"

----------

All I have under the Music icon is the option to turn on iTunes Match. Does anyone have any idea (or screenshots) of where to find the Purchased Music?

Same, if you have iTunes Match there is no need though. I switched to my old account and was able to see what iTunes in the Cloud looked like.

So if your account has iTunes Match enabled, you will get the iTunes Match features, otherwise you will just get your purchased music.

robershow

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
Exactly. Why bother with the Netflix iOS app over AirPlay when the TV has a Netflix app built-in?

Off course you can. Netflix support airplay by using the airplay button on the multitasking drawer. It's a 2 screen experience!!

Last edited by a moderator:

sunseeker

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2004
Do most people have more than one icloud account in their home? If everyone in your house has their own then what? How about some support for those who do. It goes back to the multiple apple ID issue that will not be fixed anytime soon.

Not sure what your problem is here.

I have 5 People - each with their own Mac, iPhone and Apple TV

Each Device has home sharing turned on using my iCloud credentials

5 of the Macs are authorised for all 5 accounts (this authorisation limit is the only problem since I actually have 4 Macs that I use plus a Mac used as a media centre in addition to those belonging to other family members)

Every Mac on the network can be seen and items copied from it in iTunes for OSX - provided they're switched on
Every iOS device can access it's own content in the cloud and onboard and send it to any Apple TV
Every iOS device can be used as a controller for the Apple TV
I happen to have a sixth Mac which I run as a media centre - always on and connected to about 4TB of content

So as long as a user comes home now and then they can have local access to, and therefore copy to their device, anything that might be available on any of those other accounts.
At no time do they need to log in using any other apple ID - works pretty seamlessly

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'm in the US and love mine. I bought my parents one and they were like, "Meh," but now use it everyday. They don't really care so much that it's an Apple TV, though. They call it their Netflix machine. In my opinion, if you're willing to buy a $500 iPad or $300 iPhone, you'd be nuts not to get the $99 Apple TV. Once you get into it, it has so much functionality it's crazy, and it plays so well with iOS devices.

There's a reason that Apple presents the AppleTV as an accessory to Macs. When you're spending $1,000, $2,000, or more on a computer, a hundred dollar streaming box is like an HDMI cable is to an HDTV.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
That's one of Apple's biggest competitors. It's never going to support Amazon Prime streaming, just like it's never going to support Google Play or Android mirroring.

+1. Plus, for those of us who value streaming PQ as much or more as convenience, the predominant quality of Amazon's offerings for Prime users is less than stellar (most are not even HD).

Last edited:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Ugh...

No Amazon VOD for us Prime Members yet?.... lame, Ill keep my Roku until Amazon VOD comes to the Apple TV. iPad and iPhone has the app... why not the TV?

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Just noticed Netflix says 'Super HD' and not just 'HD' when went to watch Californication. I read they were increasing their bitrate recently so this must indicate that.

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
Any word on whether this fixes the things that a recent update broke in Podcasts?
Like no longer being able to resume a podcast if you stop it and come back later?
Or the new episode badges only showing sometimes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.