Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of iOS 6.1 this morning, Apple introduced a minor change to Passbook, restoring the former "Welcome" screen to the app.

When Passbook was first introduced with iOS 6, it opened with a page that gave users a quick way to locate and download Passbook-enabled apps. Unfortunately, the Welcome screen disappeared after a single Passbook app was downloaded, making it difficult to discover additional apps that used the functionality.

passbook.jpg

iOS 6.1 has made the Welcome screen a permanent fixture in the app, and it can now be found below other Passbook cards. Tapping the Welcome card opens a list of apps that use Passbook in the App Store.

Though Apple includes a Passbook section in the App Store, the newly permanent Welcome card provides a faster way to find Passbook-enabled apps.

Apple's Passbook included just a handful of apps at launch, but the service has proven to be popular with both users and developers. Apple's list of Apps for Passbook now includes more than 20 apps, including those from major retailers like Fandango, Target, Sephora, and Walgreens.

Article Link: Minor Change in iOS 6.1 Makes it Easier to Find Passbook-Enabled Apps

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I use it a ton - travel for work and have my boarding passes and AA advantage card handy all the time - also use it at Starbucks, the movies and walgreens regularly.

Will be happy when MLB tickets are expanded - being a season ticket holder with the Rangers, I'd love to store all my tickets on passbook!

Keep cranking out the passes! Would love to see an official Best Buy Reward zone card pass with real-time points updates - I know I could make one online, I just prefer the clean look of the official versions.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Passbook is awesome, but needs more apps.

I use it all the time at Starbucks and going to the movies. I love how it appears on your lockscreen when you arrive at the venue. Ultra convenient. :)

trilaemasu

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
I tried using Passbook over the past holiday with my flights. It functioned well.

Biggest problem I guess is the lack of spread. I have a Starbucks gift card on it because someone gave it to me Christmas 2011 and I never go to Starbucks. I've only opened it up for Passhack, otherwise. No other uses in it for me.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Whenever I fly or go to the movies I enjoy using passbook, but as a student, that's not very often.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If the local busses and subways would start supporting passbook I could have a lot fewer tickets in my pocket... (I go through 4 tickets/week day... kind of a hassle making sure they're not stuck together with gloved hands and whatnot.)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Fandango, Starbucks, Target, and Delta are great.

Would love to have more... :(
CVS card!, Kroger card, Autozone card, Dicks cards, etc. :( too many laser scanners that work quirky off the LCD.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Yea, I have to say that enjoy and use Passbook all the time. Especially at Starbucks which is the store that I visit most often which supports Passbook. Can't wait for more stores to utilize it.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My experience with Passbook has been disappointing.

1. The design of the Passbook app, with the light-colour low-contrast text, is really poor. How that passed quality testing is beyond me.
  2. The non-responsive welcome screen of the app was disconcerting.
  3. The need to download individual apps in order to load Passbook passes seems like overkill to me. Why can't the passes just be downloaded directly? This left me confused.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I was in the Apple Store yesterday, was playing with the iPhone 5 and opened up Passbook. I noticed it had all these cards in it, and I asked the Apple worker how do I get my wife's to look like that, because I was under the impression they only show when you're new a location.

If I use Passbook, I don't want to open it up and not see any cards, I'd like to know whats in it.

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
My experience with Passbook has been disappointing.

1. The need to download individual apps in order to load Passbook passes seems like overkill to me. Why can't the passes just be downloaded directly? This left me confused.

This can be done. I don't know why companies aren't doing this. I would much prefer getting an emailed pass than needing to download and install an app I don't want.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I was in the Apple Store yesterday, was playing with the iPhone 5 and opened up Passbook. I noticed it had all these cards in it, and I asked the Apple worker how do I get my wife's to look like that, because I was under the impression they only show when you're new a location.

If I use Passbook, I don't want to open it up and not see any cards, I'd like to know whats in it.

All of your cards are going to be in passbook every time you open the app.

Certain cards will show up on the lock screen when you're at a pre-set destination.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
If the local busses and subways would start supporting passbook I could have a lot fewer tickets in my pocket... (I go through 4 tickets/week day... kind of a hassle making sure they're not stuck together with gloved hands and whatnot.)

Subway would be awesome for NYC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.