Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
It would be better if they just put a freakin hardrive back in. Stupid move taking out.

Why would you need a hard drive? If you want to save a movie and watch it multiple times or keep a local iTunes library? Allowing users to attach extra storage would be good, but putting in a hard drive that not many people need just raises the cost and makes it less reliable.

DDaddyx2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Ugh...

No Amazon VOD for us Prime Members yet?.... lame, Ill keep my Roku until Amazon VOD comes to the Apple TV. iPad and iPhone has the app... why not the TV?
Yeah. It's time for Apple to up this thing up for more apps. Give me Amazon VOD, Spotify and Pandora. Let me take off the things I don't use.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Seems like a really nice little update. If I had a Apple TV would surely download but I use a Mac mini plus plex for my media center.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
- AirPlay audio for videos: Send stereo audio from movies, TV shows, and other videos on Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs).

Not sure what the advantage of this would be. Wouldn't any TV in a home entertainment setup already have connected speakers? Does anyone actually even make dual stereo speakers for airplay (not the single box that booms out "stereo")?

Please someone...explain.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
27769057.jpg

Pardon the excitement, but this is indeed good news. I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard sitting unused (I'm using a wired Extended Keyboard on my iMac)... but not for long! I can't wait to get home and get this loaded. This solves my only remaining gripe with my Apple TVs, as I use the YouTube client rather often.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Is the 2nd generation Apple TV compatible with the Bluetooth Keyboard? I believe it has BT (iFixit) but Apple is known to lie and say the hardware just can't support it when it can.

screw the keyboard, lets get a gamepad!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ugh...

No Amazon VOD for us Prime Members yet?.... lame, Ill keep my Roku until Amazon VOD comes to the Apple TV. iPad and iPhone has the app... why not the TV?

That was a major selling point when I got a new TV...it had to have amazon prime built in since ATV does not.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Not sure what the advantage of this would be. Wouldn't any TV in a home entertainment setup already have connected speakers? Does anyone actually even make dual stereo speakers for airplay (not the single box that booms out "stereo")?

Please someone...explain.

is there a such thing as airplay headphones?

actually... Airport express with headphones plugged in. That way I can watch tv at night without waking the kiddies.

not going to do this, but it could be useful to some people...

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I hope this fixes the "this library has no content" problem (annoying, have to switch off and on again Homesharing each time to fix it ).

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
can I AirPlay my mini to an appletv in the house and use a Bluetooth keyboard connected to the appletv to control the mini?

fozy

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
Multiple airport express support

AppleTV 1 provided support for airplay to multiple airport express stations similar to iTunes on OSX. Has this update restored that service?

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Last edited:

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Anyone else have this issue? my 3rd gen AppleTV has been at the "Step 1 of 2: Preparing update..." for over 2 hours now...

I'm having the exact same issue, came here to see if it was just me. It does appear to be working since the progress bar on mine is now at the 2/3rds mark, but boy is it taking awhile.

I just hope after all this it doesn't end up bricked.

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
In iTunes 11, I marked about 300 home videos as such. Now when scrolling on the AppleTV, there are co-mingled with full-length movies. My old work around is that I used to use TV show sorting for home movies, but its weird that iTunes 11 lets you sort this way, but then does not translate to ATV.

Apple: It just works[...but it doesn't].

-JJ

You could probably Leave them as Movies but change the Genre to Home Movies that way when you scroll through the genres you can See Home video's and they will all be there !

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I'm having the exact same issue, came here to see if it was just me. It does appear to be working since the progress bar on mine is now at the 2/3rds mark, but boy is it taking awhile.

I just hope after all this it doesn't end up bricked.

I know there is a thread on here about the same problem with the last update that came out a few months ago. I have not tried to update mine yet at all, based on those previous issues.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1502944/

Anyone else have this issue? my 3rd gen AppleTV has been at the "Step 1 of 2: Preparing update..." for over 2 hours now...

For those with the issue....is your ATV wireless or wired?

I have 2 ATVs in the house. The wireless one finished in no time. The wired one is going on an hour+....the bar is moving....but just barely.

I know the last update, most people with wired connections it would fail. Mine didn't last time....but this time it's taking it's sweet time.

-Kevin

Dingerz

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
AirPlay default stuck on off..

Can I ask a question. Do any of your with Apple TV have issues with the AirPlay default being stuck on OFF every time you turn on your TV?

It drives me nuts that I have to go into settings to turn it ON before it works each time. I am curious to know if it is only me, or a common issue. Thanks.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
For those with the issue....is your ATV wireless or wired?

I have 2 ATVs in the house. The wireless one finished in no time. The wired one is going on an hour+....the bar is moving....but just barely.

I know the last update, most people with wired connections it would fail. Mine didn't last time....but this time it's taking it's sweet time.

-Kevin

mine is wireless

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Meh....

I want to see NAS support so I don't have to have my main Mac on all the time, just to watch a movie. It's not an unusual request, Apple. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Virtually every other network streaming player out there does this.

I agree... but I doubt Apple would do this, since it would undermine iTunes and iCloud sales. As always, it's all about Apple's bottom line - never about its customers' needs or wishes.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I assume they want you to utilize iCloud as opposed to your local system for this. I know it doesn't fix the issue of ripped movies, since they don't yet match our own personal video content at this time.

Would be nice for Apple to at least offer that option too.

Dream on. The media companies are the roadblock there, not Apple. And it ain't changing anytime soon. In fact, it's technically illegal to even rip your movies from DVD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.