Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In its iOS 6.1 press release today, Apple disclosed some impressive usage numbers for iOS 6 and the iOS platform. As of today, nearly 300 million iOS devices -- iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- are running iOS 6, with nine billion photos uploaded to Photo Stream, 450 billion iMessages sent and over four trillion notifications received.

iphone_ipad_ipad_mini_update.jpg
Of these, perhaps the most impressive is that 300 million devices are currently running iOS 6. That is, as EdibleApple points out, roughly 60 percent of all iOS devices ever sold:
During Apple's most recent earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Apple to date has sold over 500 million iOS devices. If we put those pieces together we see that over half of every iOS device ever sold is now running the most recent version of Apple's mobile operating system. Contrast that of course to Android where a scant minority of users are ever caught running the most recent iteration of Android.
The Next Web notes that Apple sold some 75 million iOS devices in the December quarter alone, all of which are running iOS 6, plus 100 million upgrades to iOS 6 in its first week of availability back in September.

Apple has clearly been successful in keeping devices upgraded to the latest version of iOS, particularly through the over-the-air update feature that was introduced last year in iOS 5. This keeps iOS devices secure, and keeps users up to date with the latest new features to come out of Cupertino.

Article Link: Nearly 300 Million Devices Running iOS 6, 60% of All iOS Devices Ever

hello12

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
IOs 6 is already the best OS for a phone. But iOS 7 needs to be revolutionary (by that I mean introduce a lot of the features users are dying to have). I hope they listen.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Contrast that of course to Android where a scant minority of users are ever caught running the most recent iteration of Android.

They probably just cant find the right download link, for the right provider, for the right version of phone they are using and after they confirmed that the version in question is approved by the various providers of cell service.

Man, I love this Open OS stuff! :D

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
This keeps iOS devices secure, and keeps users up to date with the latest new features to come out of Cupertino.

If only it was ''all'' the latest features...

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Well there seems to be about 299,999,000 people that don't come on macrumors and complain about it.

Calm down, just saying it would be better if all features were available. So much negativity.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I bet the ones missing are devices jailbroken or outdated (iPhone 3G and iPhone and several other iPod Touches and the iPad)

Some people just don't care about updates or whatnots. I knew this one girl who didn't even have a single song on her iPhone because she didn't how to transfer songs. I sincerely don't expect her to update...

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
EdibleApple said:
If we put those pieces together we see that over half of every iOS device ever sold is now running the most recent version of Apple's mobile operating system.

:eek:

And people say Android is fragmented!?!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
We devs <3 iOS user's track record of staying up to date

I'd like it if springboard (the Homescreen) was a bit more... IDK, active... In iOS 7. IE, if the temperature icon updated on its own, and the ability to have widgets. But I'm sure you've all heard that before so I won't go into detail. If Apple adds those, I'll see absolutely no advantage to using Android or Windows or BB over iOS...

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Not much Choice

As an APP developer, I can tell you that Apple makes it pretty darn difficult to support older OSes. Xcode all but forces you to add "retina iphone5 this" and "Arm7 that". That is why new APPs (and even many older ones that ran fine on OS4 or 5) require OS6 to run. Kinda sux, but that's how the game is played. M$ invented it, Apple is simply perfecting it as they are always keen to do.

-iamthinking

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
The fact they keep track of the number as notifications and messages received/sent scares the s*** out of me.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
I honestly don't think anything revolutionary will come from iOS 7. It was probably well under development when the announcement was made that Federighi and Ive were going to be put in charge. You'll more likely see the stamp of the new execs in iOS 8 or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.