Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Cute.

Notice how I said I saw no compelling reason to upgrade. I don't use Siri and everything else brings me nothing I'm gonna use.

Child

So you're simply trolling this thread and name calling for no reason then since you have no desire to use iOS 6.1 or care about what the update does. That clears up a lot.

As for me, my phone is in the middle restarting. I'm hoping that this will fix some of the issues 6 brought me (apps quitting on launch being the biggest problem).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Cute.

Notice how I said I saw no compelling reason to upgrade. I don't use Siri and everything else brings me nothing I'm gonna use.

Child

Strange how many people resist upgrades. So say 1 out of the 100 "bug fixes" is useful to a user, that's an improvement, why people resist is baffling to me. I guess it's the same affliction that causes people to become hoarders ... out with the old, in with the new!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Im on 6.0.1 and asking me the same thing... But i think i will jump on boat, really want to delete and download individual songs from itunes match!

Go for it, increased system performance and bug fixes.

I found another improvement in iOS 6.1 on my i5. Maps doesnt stutter anymore randomly when you zoom in and out and pan around on the Maps.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Woohoo maps seems to have been updated my city Glasgow and my small town outside Glasgow is all flyover wow. Maps seem to be so upto date and accurate too. Thanks Apple :)

Last edited:

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
They've added a Reset Advertising Identifier under About.

Anyone got an idea what that is? Right under Limit Ad Tracking.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
You can tap the song title in the LCD on the iPad music app and it will show you the song number (eg: 1 of 12). I know it's small but I thought it was worth noting.

Plus, I had no idea they were updating the ipad lockscreen controls, they've needed that for ages :) now just the ones in multitasking need updating...

The whole OS is faster on iPad 2.

And, though its been there since 6.0 , I hadn't seen anyone notice this: you can swipe/pinch folders closed on the homescreen (ie, you don't have to tap/press home button). That one was kind of cool :)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Yeah, defitnetly can notice performance improvements on my i5, nothing mindblowing but i DO notice the improvements

----------

The improved lock screen music controls and the overall performance improvements are enough for me!

Which iOS device you notice performance improvements on?

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Well they finally matched the lock screen music controls to the music app controls. Well done Apple, you have truly outdone yourselves here.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
You can tap the song title in the LCD on the iPad music app and it will show you the song number (eg: 1 of 12). I know it's small but I thought it was worth noting.

Plus, I had no idea they were updating the ipad lockscreen controls, they've needed that for ages :) now just the ones in multitasking need updating...

And, though its been there since 6.0 , I hadn't seen anyone notice this: you can swipe/pinch folders closed on the homescreen (ie, you don't have to tap/press home button). That one was kind of cool :)

What? That came with the folders update, didn't it?

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011

That's not new. You could do that since iOS 4.

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Strange how many people resist upgrades. So say 1 out of the 100 "bug fixes" is useful to a user, that's an improvement, why people resist is baffling to me. I guess it's the same affliction that causes people to become hoarders ... out with the old, in with the new!

I find that more times than not an upgrade introduces new bugs. For instance, 6.02 screwed up my cellular connection even after I restored as new. Thank goodness Apple was still signing 6.01 so I could downgrade and that fixed my issues.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I find that more times than not an upgrade introduces new bugs. For instance, 6.02 screwed up my cellular connection even after I restored as new. Thank goodness Apple was still signing 6.01 so I could downgrade and that fixed my issues.

That's how all software updates go. You fix some bugs, and new ones are created.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I'm just waiting for an update to give me the option to choose between a list of my favorite actors voices.

princetanha

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I feel like everything is even faster on iPhone5 , there is an improvement with scrolling .. I noticed that they fixed the bug of fast scrolling , and the new music controls are cool ...
Its a cool thing overall but Come on Apple we need some serious stuff before iOS7 , I mean you all remember how amazing it was when they released 4.2.1 It took safari to a whole new level and I remember iPhone 4 killed all dual core phones of that time in benchmarks with this huge update ..

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Tested my wifi speed and it's wayyyyy faster that ever before (20megs down when I'm only paying for 15). I know it's too early to be certain, but i actually watched a 30 minutes youtube video without a single pause. Really hoping not a freak coincidence.

Edit
20 minutes later and can confirm just a freak coincidence.

Last edited:

lucastatic

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Was it broken at some point? I'm still on 5.1.1 and can't pinch to close.

I'm pretty sure it's actually "tap anywhere outside the folder to close" :) Try that. I've been closing folders that way for ages, never even considered pinching them closed. I'd bet people closing them with a pinch are just tapping outside the folder with one of the fingers they're using to pinch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.