Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
One good thing about getting it from Best Buy is the $10 a month insurance you can get. If you drop the phone and break it, they'll replace it with no deductible. If you drop it only once in one year, then you break even compared to getting another from Google. However, if you were to have horrible luck and break it more than once, then you could save a lot of money. (This isn't considering buying a replacement glass and doing it yourself, which would be cheaper.)

Then again, if you buy it from Best Buy and don't break it, you could have used that money to buy the next Nexus later this year.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Perhaps I should have used different words earlier.

Paying a premium now for this phone makes no sense.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I don't think the Nexus 4 is worth it even at $299.

At this point and time, I wouldn't recommend the Nexus 4 to anyone unless budget was 100% the reason.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
lol, why would you buy a Nexus 4 for that much?

I picked up a Note 2 on CL for $460 last week.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
One good thing about getting it from Best Buy is the $10 a month insurance you can get. If you drop the phone and break it, they'll replace it with no deductible. If you drop it only once in one year, then you break even compared to getting another from Google. However, if you were to have horrible luck and break it more than once, then you could save a lot of money. (This isn't considering buying a replacement glass and doing it yourself, which would be cheaper.)

Then again, if you buy it from Best Buy and don't break it, you could have used that money to buy the next Nexus later this year.

Is BB going to even be around much longer? :eek:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Lack of LTE and the reportedly lackluster battery life are the two main N4 negatives I'm aware of. Otherwise - for an Android device - it seems pretty solid.

Edit: But, as stated before, the unlocked, no-contract phone is $349 on Google Play. There's NO reason to pay $599 at Best Buy unless you really, really need one NOW for a $250 premium.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I have a 16gb one I will sell. I used it for 3 days lol.. Been sitting in my room for over a month.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

You can take any phone to best buy and get the insurance....you do not have to buy it from them. I took an s3 there after buying it from ATT off contract b.c it was $250 cheaper than Best buy was selling it for.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Check my post history If you can't wait.

-Message brought to you by a nexus 4.

So are you saying that you don't like the nexus 4 because

- battery life
- camera
- earpiece
- signal reception
- no LTE
- ergonomics

1) If I get 4 hours of screen time that is already solid
2) Saw the pictures myself and they are fairly decent
3) I can live with that
4) I can live with that
5) You already knew that when you bought it
6) I can live with that

The arguments seem pretty weak in my opinion. You are saying I should pay $300 extra to solve all these problems and get an iphone instead? While losing on things such as pattern unlock, swype, kinetic scrolling, set any app as default, google integration, big display. Just out of curiosity what previous phones have you owned?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So are you saying that you don't like the nexus 4 because

- battery life
- camera
- earpiece
- signal reception
- no LTE
- ergonomics

1) If I get 4 hours of screen time that is already solid
2) Saw the pictures myself and they are fairly decent
3) I can live with that
4) I can live with that
5) You already knew that when you bought it
6) I can live with that

The arguments seem pretty weak in my opinion. You are saying I should pay $300 extra to solve all these problems and get an iphone instead? While losing on things such as pattern unlock, swype, kinetic scrolling, set any app as default, google integration, big display. Just out of curiosity what previous phones have you owned?

1) Good luck trying to get 4 hours screen time--never saw that in a month of use.
2) You have low camera standards then because camera is terrible compared to competition.
3) Again, you have low standards of you find a constant buzzing in the earpiece as acceptable.
4) See number 3

Why does everyone automatically assume that if someone levies criticism of an Android device that they're an iPhone fanboy? I know Couch wouldn't make the recommendation you suggested, nor would I. I would however recommend spending the extra money on a Note 2 out of contract as it has none of these problems and adds the benefit of a removable battery and expandable storage.

My $0.02...I wouldn't recommend it at $600, have a hard time even at the $300/$350 Google is charging out of contract The extra $300 I spent on an out of contract Note 2--definitely worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.