Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like my 4S is quicker to open an application if I'm sliding a notification on the lock screen. Before, there would be a half second lag before the application would load, but now it seems just as quick as accessing the home screen.

Eric Best

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Tamworth, NSW, Australia
Apologies in advance for the naïvety of my question:I would like to access some of my music wirelessly, but I don't want the lossless music I have already transferred across from my iMac replaced with the lossy iMatch versions. So, is it possible now with 6.1 to turn on iTunes Match without it automatically replacing my Apple lossless music files with lossy versions?
Thanks!

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like my 4S is quicker to open an application if I'm sliding a notification on the lock screen. Before, there would be a half second lag before the application would load, but now it seems just as quick as accessing the home screen.

My 4S is definitely more responsive and the battery life seems to have improved as well but I won't know until I use it a couple more days.

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
So, reinstating a previous function is considered a new feature now? Lucky us.

Yes. Really? :rolleyes: New to software? It's not that hard.

If it's something this version of the software does, than yes it's a feature of this version.
It obviously wasn't possible in the last version, so it wasn't a feature of that version.

You might even be shocked to learn that sometimes, when features change in a software product, that sometimes they come back! I know... it's amazing, but sometimes users even ask for specific features back! Imagine that!

But by all means, keep complaining about it being back now.

I actually never knew it went away. That's how much I actually use iTunes Match. I should probably just cancel now so I don't forget to do so next Fall.

Too much personal information, bro. Might want to keep that kinda thing private.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Are the battery draining issues resolved? Will wait before updating.

I think the battery issue in 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 can't be any worse. So I upgraded anyway. So far the battery life has been okay but I still need more time to determine if there is any significant improvement. Anyway battery improvement is not on the list of updates in 6.1 that Apple provided.:(

----------

meanwhile Android is kicking it into higher gear with JellyBean and taking over the market.

Apple...stupid gimmicks like Siri isn't what the consumer wants...they want a more fluid and accessible OS.

iOS is dying fast...

That's why Forstall was fired. I hope that iOS 7 will bring us more surprise and it'd better have an earlier release date than October.;)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I think the battery issue in 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 can't be any worse. So I upgraded anyway. So far the battery life has been okay but I still need more time to determine if there is any significant improvement. Anyway battery improvement is not on the list of updates in 6.1 that Apple provided.:(

----------

That's why Forstall was fired. I hope that iOS 7 will bring us more surprise and it'd better have an earlier release date than October.;)

I bought into the poor battery life regarding iOS 6. I finally updated to iOS 6 and the battery life on my iPad 2 has been OUTSTANDING. One thing I did was to do a hard reset after I installed iOS 6. I'm averaging around 15-24 hours and that includes playing games, web, and streaming live audio. So far for me iOS 6.1 is the same as 6.0.1 :)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Yes. Really? :rolleyes: New to software? It's not that hard.

If it's something this version of the software does, than yes it's a feature of this version.
It obviously wasn't possible in the last version, so it wasn't a feature of that version.

You might even be shocked to learn that sometimes, when features change in a software product, that sometimes they come back! I know... it's amazing, but sometimes users even ask for specific features back! Imagine that!

But by all means, keep complaining about it being back now.

Too much personal information, bro. Might want to keep that kinda thing private.

You need to calm down. You must be a wreck in person.

rdinterman

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Battery 6.1

Upgraded my iPhone 5 (AT&T) last night to 6.1, significantly better battery today by at least 30%. I have the same routine every Monday so all things being the same today it was a nice improvement.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I really want to give Apple the benefit of the doubt. I've been with them since iOS 1.1.1. But their lack of innovation really is starting to annoy me. It's starting to feel like Blackberry all over again where they keep releasing the same product.

I bought a Galaxy S3 last week and haven't looked back since. Sure it doesn't have the OEM support that Apple has and might never get past Jelly Bean, but it has a bunch of really cool features (NFC, widgets, tethering, interactive data monitor, extendable battery, etc.) Apple please, I want a reason to buy your devices. But all you're doing is pushing me towards Android.

I'm not even sure if a fingerprint scanner would be worth it at this point. I've never been much concerned with security on my device and a password is enough security for most users.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I really want to give Apple the benefit of the doubt. I've been with them since iOS 1.1.1. But their lack of innovation really is starting to annoy me. It's starting to feel like Blackberry all over again where they keep releasing the same product.

I bought a Galaxy S3 last week and haven't looked back since. Sure it doesn't have the OEM support that Apple has and might never get past Jelly Bean, but it has a bunch of really cool features (NFC, widgets, tethering, interactive data monitor, extendable battery, etc.) Apple please, I want a reason to buy your devices. But all you're doing is pushing me towards Android.

I'm not even sure if a fingerprint scanner would be worth it at this point. I've never been much concerned with security on my device and a password is enough security for most users.
I think these ("NFC, widgets, tethering, interactive data monitor, extendable battery, etc.") are not really innovations. ;)

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
About time! I _NEED_ Activator on my iPhone 5~!!!

Eh... I HOPE Activator has been updated since......

----------

I simply cannot go to Android. I have too many apps on iOS which I paid good money for -- apps and games which are much better than the ones I can get on Android. Oh, and purchasing these apps are also much easier for me too. Music as well -- I can purchase music legally right from my iPhone... some people forget what makes an iPhone an iPhone, but you may have different needs to mine.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I think these ("NFC, widgets, tethering, interactive data monitor, extendable battery, etc.") are not really innovations. ;)

Still, they're features the iPhone should have. Plus I like the larger screen of the S3. Should Apple release a 4.5"+ iPhone, I'd be tempted to switch back.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
About time! I _NEED_ Activator on my iPhone 5~!!!

Eh... I HOPE Activator has been updated since......

----------

I simply cannot go to Android. I have too many apps on iOS which I paid good money for -- apps and games which are much better than the ones I can get on Android. Oh, and purchasing these apps are also much easier for me too. Music as well -- I can purchase music legally right from my iPhone... some people forget what makes an iPhone an iPhone, but you may have different needs to mine.
The transition was easier than I thought. There's even an app to transfer over contacts, notes, messages, and such from an iPhone backup. Works well. Most music can play on it too because of the lack of drm.

As far as actually doing stuff with the device, I've found it to be as easy as the iPhone in many ways. There's a little learning curve like what certain icons mean but you get over it fast. And the speed of the device is right up there with the iPhone. It's slightly slower with an occasional hiccup but you have to be super nitpicky to notice it.

Android is no longer an inferior OS, it's equal to iOS in many ways and in other ways, superior. I love the openness, and part of the reason why I switched was that there was no untethered jailbreak for the 4S out and I was tired of waiting. Google Now is amazing. I love how it tells me how long my commute home will take automatically in the notification center.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
It depends on the user...

Siri is one of the most gimmicky features on iOS IMO. It's right up there with Face time.

It is funny, I use FaceTime more than what I do voice calls and I find Siri incredible useful for my work, with reminders, calendars and alarms.

I guess "stocks" and "calculator" should be gimmicky to me because I don't use them?

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Wow. 6.1 blew away all my known bluetooth devices and now won't pair with my headset. I've rebooted both the phone and the device and keeps saying pairing unsuccessful. I'll try my car bluetooth and jambox tonight.

Anyone else having this problem after updating?!?

I'm using a Jabra BT3030 (dog tag) -- just updated it (with BT on, but disconnected from the Jabra) and I don't have any problems. The Jabra reconnects, plays music from the unit etc. .... no problems.

Updated from 6.0.2 to 6.1 on an iPhone 5.

----------

From 92% my iPhone is at 85% after the update and download (using just the phone to download and update over wifi). I have an uneasy feeling that my battery life has actually gotten WORSE... cos just after posting this it's 84%. That wasn't due for at least another 15 minutes (with the previous SW)!!

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
More robust finger tracking

It seems the issue where fast diagonal swipes on the screen which would make touch input stop is fixed, or at least is harder to reproduce. Also, the tearing on springboard and other apps whenever you swipe your finger not perfectly horizontal is fixed. It made the phone feel really choppy and, no offense, closer to many Android phones in terms of scrolling. Anyone else find finger tracking better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.