Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I love that design and I hope they do it--but I will probably be sticking with my 3rd gen iPad this year. In 2012, I upgraded every piece of tech in my house, and that included the iPad 3 in March. Almost everything you see in my signature was purchased last year as a replacement for something non-Apple that didn't work anymore (except for the iOS devices).

Needless to say--I need a year off. I'm broke. But GO APPLE!! That's a great design!!!

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I'm getting tired and annoyed of product leaks?
I understand your annoyance…

…but have you considered not reading MacRumors? I mean, this is kind of the place where all the rumors you say you dislike are compiled.

Edit: Yeah, ok, everyone else beat me to it.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
A retina iPad that is both faster and lighter than my iPad 3 is an instant sale in my book. I just wish it would come in March, but increasingly the rumors are saying October.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Surprised and pleased by how how much to the length seems to be reduced by this redesign. The bezel on the current one is just too big.

Given that reduction a 12inch might not be so silly for the range. As long as all three used the same PPI for the screen.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Looks nice! However, I wouldn't mind them expanding the screen size while keeping the same exterior (width and height) dimensions.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
This looks fantastic!

I'm still happy that I bought an iPad 4. I'm totally pleased with it. It's got the Retina screen, and twice the power of the iPad 3. It does just about everything I need.

Nonetheless, this iPad 5 form factor looks great.

If Apple does release an iPad Mini Retina with more powerful innards, I'll probably spring for that. It's more portable and will fit in my jacket pocket.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
Can anyone tell from these photos if the bigger iPad has thinner side bezels like the mini?
Current generation iPads on top of the leaked image. 5th Gen. iPad seems to have thinner bezels on the sides.
attachment.php

EDIT: Cleaned up a bit.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ipad5.jpg
    ipad5.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 11,550
  • ipad5_2.jpg
    ipad5_2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 11,110
Last edited:

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
The only thing that I think could distinguish this as fake is the microphone hole on the back of the cellular antenna, instead of on the top like every other iPad to date. Then again it is easy to believe that this will change.

Other than that this looks great. Hope it comes out around WWDC.

P.S.: Did anybody else notice that there aren't any speaker grills on the back? FINALLY!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It'll be just look like 9.7" iPad Mini. Chamfered edge and thinner bezel on both sides.

Nothing new here. Move on :eek:

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Current generation iPads on top of the leaked image. 5th Gen. iPad seems to have thinner bezels on the sides.
View attachment 393246

It'd have to be much lighter... it's awkward to hold with one hand as it is, in portrait, with large bezels.
It'd be even trickier if it was only a little bit lighter and those thin bezels =\

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
I'm getting tired and annoyed of product leaks!

I miss the days when products were not basically leaked piece by piece and essentially put together weeks before the announcement. I miss the days of not knowing what was going to be unveiled at the keynote. I miss the feeling of complete surprise and awe when the product was finally unveiled after waiting on the edge of my seat for what felt like an eternity.

Sure the leak if the iphone 4 was some fluke freak accident - and shocking at the same time, but knowing what the iphone 5 looked like a month before the keynote was just down right annoying.

I wish the supply chain would stop leaking images :(

i wish on the return of elevators.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Now this is the iPad I would plunk down some money for. Had to wait a few generations, but the form factor and features are finally making it compelling for me.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
gonna need some other reason to upgrade; ipad3 does everything perfectly

honestly thinking about going android with it's higher res screen (2560x1600)

Seems a trivial thing to dictate your platform choice but if if it means so much to you, then go to Android. Frankly, I find too many other compelling reasons to stick with iOS over Android to worry about something as pointless as screen resolution. Never understood the obsession with it, and that includes when Apple was talking it up too. I have an iPad 2 and I've never once thrown up my hands in frustration over the pixel density. I also have an iPhone 4S and have never once marveled over how awesome the resolution is. It's just a display. As long as it's not pixellated on the level of an Atari 2600 game, it's fine. :rolleyes:

chuckee.2002

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Sydney Australia
I was thinking of getting an iPad mini when it gets retina, but with this new design of the full sized iPad, me wants one and not get the mini anymore!

I have a nexus 7, works fine but there's really nothing to compare for the iPad experience. Smooth "buttery" UI and really nice apps. I don't know, but the apps in the android market, although have the same apps in apple, doesn't work well in android and sometimes have a different design when its in apple apps. :S

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Wow, now I need to wait!

I have a 15" MBP, and an iPhone 4S, 64GB. I've never felt the burning need for an iPad, because I have both ends of the spectrum covered.

Recently I wish I had a larger screen for my IOS apps, but the mini is just a bit too small, but while I like the iPad screen size, the unit is just a bit big (although at 6'4", my large hands are OK with a full size iPad)

Now along comes a Retina display, with something not much bigger than a Mini, and I'm sure screaming fast with all the features.

I want this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.