Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
It seems the issue where fast diagonal swipes on the screen which would make touch input stop is fixed, or at least is harder to reproduce. Also, the tearing on springboard and other apps whenever you swipe your finger not perfectly horizontal is fixed. It made the phone feel really choppy and, no offense, closer to many Android phones in terms of scrolling. Anyone else find finger tracking better?

A part of me is happy that you actually tried the crazy scrolling one.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
Heres the biggest change I've noticed...

HQ0PCQW.png

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
One thing I noticed is that is remains connected to our school's restricted wifi. Before 6.1 I had to keep entering my access details into the server log-in screen -- note that this is not the wifi password (iOS is at least smart enough to be able to keep _those_ log-in details on hand).

So now that the wifi connection doesn't cut out... I wonder if this is draining my battery faster?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
A part of me is happy that you actually tried the crazy scrolling one.

Lol. I noticed the problem with the iPhone 5 not from reading reports, but when colouring something in a drawing app. When I read that it might be a software issue, you bet I would test it out when a new update came out.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I tried it out, and yes. We can FINALLY download individual songs from iCloud, and delete them too with iTunes Match turned on. I'm glad that this is fixed.

Perversely, I needed space free (1gb for the install and re-shuffle) that I could have got be trimming out a few unlistend to iCloud songs, instead of nuking some of my larger apps!

errepi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
new layout for music playback in locked screen

just noticed a new layout of the controls in the music playback screen when device is locked, after upgrading to iOS 6.1

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
The transition was easier than I thought. There's even an app to transfer over contacts, notes, messages, and such from an iPhone backup. Works well. Most music can play on it too because of the lack of drm.

As far as actually doing stuff with the device, I've found it to be as easy as the iPhone in many ways. There's a little learning curve like what certain icons mean but you get over it fast. And the speed of the device is right up there with the iPhone. It's slightly slower with an occasional hiccup but you have to be super nitpicky to notice it.

Android is no longer an inferior OS, it's equal to iOS in many ways and in other ways, superior. I love the openness, and part of the reason why I switched was that there was no untethered jailbreak for the 4S out and I was tired of waiting. Google Now is amazing. I love how it tells me how long my commute home will take automatically in the notification center.

But at what cost? You have a big brick oozing through your pockets.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I know that for some developers you usually know what a software version usually us. But seriously people y'all are acting like a .1 increment in software version is meant to be a HUGE update? What the?

It's a software version number, it's not that big of a deal. "This doesn't belong as a .1 update" is pretty dumb to hear. Their are some developers who never go up to the next version. I use this one software that has been at version 3 forever! Since I've always used it yet it is always updated. It's like a 3.54 now. Seriously people it's a software version number it's not a big deal.

Someone said something earlier in this thread that struck me perfect. When iOS does something great they are called fanboys. When iOS or Apple makes a mistake all you ever hear about is their mistakes. Yet you never hear about Android flaws (oh and yes their are some, no software is perfect). Everyone makes it a huge deal and acts like Apple is dead if they make a "mistake."

Have they made mistakes? Yes no doubt. Every company does. But when Apple does it is all you ever hear about. They must be doing ok. They have billions of dollars in the bank and are the 2nd most valuable company ever. You know how many companies (that make mistakes also, yet never hear about) would do anything to be in the position Apple is in? A lot.

I'm far from an Apple fanboy. My good friend just got a new Android phone. She let me play with it and yes their were things I liked and it will be on my list of phones to check out when I upgrade. Though I also found some things I didn't like in my short time using it. Yet you never hear about those things. But if it was Apple that is all you would hear about.

I just admit when I see good products. I see good products from Apple.

Since 1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
San Francisco
Here's a unique concept for Apple software development team:

QA TEST PLAN!

And yes I did mean to shout. Why is it that the simplest of things like software updates are so buggy even in the install procedure? Does anyone at Apple actually understand the basics of software release like seeing if the new software will actually download and install without umpteen attempts? I just ran into the same problem on an iPod touch Gen 4 and iPad Gen 3 both running iOS 5. While trying to update both claimed to not be connected to the Internet and required a hard boot just to proceed. Is it too much to ask for someone to actually write and execute a QA test plan?

My crappy little Motorola Defy XT from Republic Wireless running ancient Android software works better an this.

SnackeyG

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Anyone else get 6.1 beta 4 pushed out for the OTA update? I'm thinking I shouldn't install it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Slow down guys .... let the public feel the this update first, THEN jailbreak ....

You lot breeding like wabbits.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Is it just me or did this update shrink the size of the URL bar in Safari?

Hopefully this removes all the bugs I've encountered in Safari.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
It seems the issue where fast diagonal swipes on the screen which would make touch input stop is fixed, or at least is harder to reproduce. Also, the tearing on springboard and other apps whenever you swipe your finger not perfectly horizontal is fixed. It made the phone feel really choppy and, no offense, closer to many Android phones in terms of scrolling. Anyone else find finger tracking better?

Nope. The touch is exactly the same. I got the fast diagonal swipes to screw up after the same amount of time. My wife's iPhone 5 is on 6.0.2 and it does the same thing as mine, which is on 6.1.

The touch registration still sucks.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
No Vodafone for Ultra LTE...

Thank you Apple :p (not that i use any wireless on the iPhone, but still like to complain :) )

That anything like LTE + ? A new marketing term perhaps ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.