Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I own a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 camera that I bought about 3 years ago.

It uses a special format for videos, and came with special software to convert them, but that software only runs on PCs.

I know there are a lot of 3rd party software programs out there that can handle this.

I tried one called iSkySoft, which had a free trial, but the sound was terribly out of sync.

So who else has a Panasonic and a Mac? What software is worth the money?

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I tried downloading the "small tool" but when I tried to open it, Stuffit Expander said the file "does not appear to be compressed or encoded." and couldn't do anything with it.

Suggestions?

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Okay, I got the small tool- for some reason, Chrome couldn't download it, but Firefox could.
Unfortunately, it has the same problem as the other programs I've tried (iSkySoft and ClipWrap)- the sound is out of sync with the picture.

I also tried the ReWrap method, but when I drag a file onto the icon, nothing happens. Well, almost nothing- ReWrap briefly appears in the upper left where the name of the active application appears, but then it goes back to Chrome after a second.

Is there no way to convert these files into something useful that preserves the sound/picture sync? I'd be willing to pay for something that does! I can't believe this is so hard! My old Canon just put the movies into iPhoto. I don't see any advantage to having compressed files that I can't do anything with. :(

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
My Sony camcorder produces video files in the .m2ts format, which is supposedly identical to .mts. I discovered that, if the .m2ts files are renamed to .mpg, QT player 10.2 will open them. Then they can be exported as .mov files. The largest file I've converted so far is 150MB, and it saved as .mov in less than a minute on a 2012 iMac with a 3.4GHz i7 and a 1TB fusion drive.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I tried renaming one of my .MTS files .mpg, but Quicktime said could not be opened.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Could you record a small sample file (1 or 2 seconds) of nothing important and upload it as compressed ZIP somewhere for someone else to download and try upon?

If you still have the files on the card and the folder structure is intact, try iMovie > File > Import from Camera.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
I tried renaming one of my .MTS files .mpg, but Quicktime said could not be opened.

Maybe Panasonic uses a different .mts format than Sony. I just remembered that the camcorder's video files on SD media are .mts. It's the Sony Windows app that names them *.m2ts. Also, iMovie can import Sony video straight from my Sony camcorder, except for 1080 60p.

You are using QT 10.x? QT 7.x.x won't work with these files.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Thanks- I have iMovie '08, and it doesn't recognize .MTS/AVCHD.

Someone on another forum suggested trying to play the converted files that were out of sync on a different computer, and as it turns out, they played fine. Apparently, it's just something about my 2008 MacBook that can't play the MP4 conversions in sync. Actually, VLC did play them in sync, but the picture was distorted.

Anyway, since I can play the .MTS files on VLC, and the converted MP4 files are fine when I upload them, I'm good. :cool:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I have iMovie '08, and it doesn't recognize .MTS/AVCHD.
In that case, I would suggest upgrading to iMovie11(it's only a few $s). It's far far better than iMovie8 and it recognises .mts/AVCHD, so should import from your camera. However, you will need to be running Lion to do that.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
In that case, I would suggest upgrading to iMovie11(it's only a few $s). It's far far better than iMovie8 and it recognises .mts/AVCHD, so should import from your camera. However, you will need to be running Lion to do that.

iMovie might not be much cash, but iMovie plus Lion plus the RAM to run them, and pretty soon we're talking some real bucks.

Handbrake is doing a pretty good job, and VLC plays my files, so I'm getting by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.