Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy0614

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
I have the Imac 27 fusion drive. If I understand right the installation of Win 7 thru bootcamp will load on the hard drive not the SSD. If that is correct what would I have to purchase to load Win 7 on ie SSD in order to run my games thru the SSD. Thank you.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
with all the problems that occurs with windows on a Mac, I would just buy a old laptop to use windows ..I plan to keep my old laptop for this, and never use windows on my Mac..

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
I have the Imac 27 fusion drive. If I understand right the installation of Win 7 thru bootcamp will load on the hard drive not the SSD. If that is correct what would I have to purchase to load Win 7 on ie SSD in order to run my games thru the SSD. Thank you.

From my readings you'd need to separate the 2 drives via terminal commands thus pretty much defeating the purpose of the fusion drive. Personally I'd leave it and just run your games from the Bootcamp partition. I did this and I've played max Payne 3 maxed out with no stuttering or issues

tommy0614

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Thank you Ant2369. So you suggest loading Win 7 thru bootcamp onto my Imac and then loading my games. Is that correct?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
If you REALLY REALLY wanted to, you could un-fuse the Fusion, partition it, partition the HDD, re-fuse part of the SSD with part of the Fusion, bootcamp the other partition of the SSD, and use the other part of the HDD for extra Windows data. However, this is all a royal pain in the hiney. Personally I just accept the fact that Windows doesn't run at SSD speeds, and I go into bootcamp no more than once a week probably anyway.

Also bear in mind that many games do have OS X versions that perform well.. you don't need to game exclusively in Windows if you don't want to.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
if you really, really, really needed SSD speeds there are a few threads here about installing Windows on a TunderBolt drive... install with Bootcamp... clone windows partition to external TB SSD.... delete windows partition from HDD... re-Fusion the drive...

but that seems like a lot of work...

Sean

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
if you really, really, really needed SSD speeds there are a few threads here about installing Windows on a TunderBolt drive... install with Bootcamp... clone windows partition to external TB SSD.... delete windows partition from HDD... re-Fusion the drive...

but that seems like a lot of work...

Sean

Or ... you could simply install Windows to an external Thunderbolt SSD drive. No cloning, no re-Fusioning required.

See this thread here:
Installing Windows 8 on an External SSD Guide

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508618/

If you had the option of a larger blade SSD with a Fusion drive, you could install Windows internally on a SSD partition and use the remainder of the SSD as your Fusion portion. However, the 128GB SSD that Apple offers is really too small to do this effectively. I configure my DIY Fusion drives this way ... but with 512GB SSDs.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Install windows on the normal HDD and get an external SSD to install your games onto.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I'd install it here.

21Db7m292jL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Drharrington

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Really getting away from partitions and doing virtual. Virtual box is excellent and free. IMHO better than any other option. Very clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.