Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Woah, easy there. I was skeptical at first, but the smaller bezel is actually great on the mini. I found myself holding it like an iPhone, specially since it weights lesser than my 4S, if that stud case with the new iPad, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Yep...the Bezel on the iPad is actually too big and makes the device a tad too large for most. Get rid of that and you can make it smaller or go bigger with the screen some.

I prefer the Mini's bezel (and the iPad should do the same) and if the iPad is lighter, then it becomes easier to hold, especially if the back has a coating on it for gripping.

quaternio

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
This has about done it for me; between this rumor and the 128GB possibility, I think I'm going to wait until the 5th one comes out. I may get a low capacity Mini to tide me over though, as I am between iPads at the moment, and it actually has been a bit of a pain to only have an iPhone 5 (good though it may be).

Getting rid of the bezels?? WTF?? Not sure if someone threw a brick at Jonny Ive's head or if this is because Steve Jobs isn't here to point out this garbage design. If this truly is the new iPad than I'm done getting iPads from Apple. I have never been this disappointed in Apple.

I'm not sure what your complaint is. Have you tried the iPad Mini's narrow bezel and been disappointed with it?

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Now this is the iPad I would plunk down some money for. Had to wait a few generations, but the form factor and features are finally making it compelling for me.

I have a feeling quite a few people have also held off purchasing their first iPad. I know I have. I was just waiting for that 'perfect storm' of features/value that it takes Apple products a few generations in to hit.

pipa

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Bitcoin City
iPad 5 ladies and gents. You've seem it here 7 months in advance. I have to admit that for the last 2-3 years of apple devices I have basically seen the product months before release. I think until the iphone 6 comes out I'm not going to log onto this site. Lol

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Hard to tell from the photos, but it almost looks like it could have a non-slip surface. That was a nice feature of the Nexus 7 that I really liked.

I guarantee that's the exact same aluminum thats on the iPad mini.

----------

gonna need some other reason to upgrade; ipad3 does everything perfectly

honestly thinking about going android with it's higher res screen (2560x1600)

On a device that doesn't perform half as well in real world use? It drops every other frame and its battery is absolutely pathetic for a modern tablet.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Now that this is out..

They better release this soon. It is such a major change and a rather practical change, people in the know will wait and the current model sales will suffer. They need a tighter grip on leaks. That is unless it was meant for release soon.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
They better release this soon. It is such a major change and a rather practical change, people in the know will wait and the current model sales will suffer. They need a tighter grip on leaks. That is unless it was meant for release soon.

Someone needs to build a periodic table layout of ios devices. With ipods/ iphone in place of noble gases and ipads aling the bottoms like solid metals... Lol

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Getting rid of the bezels?? WTF?? Not sure if someone threw a brick at Jonny Ive's head or if this is because Steve Jobs isn't here to point out this garbage design. If this truly is the new iPad than I'm done getting iPads from Apple. I have never been this disappointed in Apple.

I thought Apple try and go for thinner and lighter devices? Only Ipad 3/4 stopped this trend.

BmMac427

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
March?

So with the leaks starting, could a March release be possible? I think something would come out in March, why release everything in 1 quarter?

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
So with the leaks starting, could a March release be possible? I think something would come out in March, why release everything in 1 quarter?

Sounds like a 128gb model will come in March. I bet they wait until October for this to utilize next chip tech--A7X. A7 will debut in iPhone 5S this summer.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
So far I am not a pad adopter. A reduced border iPad or a retina iPad Mini would make me pull the trigger if only to see how some more busy apps work on the pad vs the phone. I have met dozens of kids that crave iPads, some of which would settle for a Kindle Fire HD as a lower cost backup plan if budget is a constraint.

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
I have some reservations about the thin bezel from usability perspective that will have to be put to rest once the device is out, but it sure looks great! Assuming it will be good deal lighter and maintain similar battery life, my iPad 4 will feel pretty abandoned as soon as the new one comes out!

Now all we are missing is the 4.5 - 5" version of the same design. Bring on the phablet Apple! That would be one sexy iOS family.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
The only thing that I think could distinguish this as fake is the microphone hole on the back of the cellular antenna, instead of on the top like every other iPad to date. Then again it is easy to believe that this will change.

The mic hole actually makes me think it's real.

The reality is that it's expected to be redesigned exactly like the mini right? The mini houses a 4:3 display, the full size houses a 4:3 display. The cases should by all rights be exactly the same in every way but actual size.

If someone wanted to fake this, all they'd need to do is take a picture of an ipad mini case. If it's not next to anything to give it scale, no one would be able to tell the difference. Even with another mini case next to it, it's easy enough to scale one up.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
gonna need some other reason to upgrade; ipad3 does everything perfectly

honestly thinking about going android with it's higher res screen (2560x1600)

I feel you on the first point. Not so much the second one.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
The mic hole actually makes me think it's real.

The reality is that it's expected to be redesigned exactly like the mini right? The mini houses a 4:3 display, the full size houses a 4:3 display. The cases should by all rights be exactly the same in every way but actual size.

If someone wanted to fake this, all they'd need to do is take a picture of an ipad mini case. If it's not next to anything to give it scale, no one would be able to tell the difference. Even with another mini case next to it, it's easy enough to scale one up.

People have already made a full size mock up though.

I mean do you think Apple is going to release ipad 5 as heavy and the same design as the last few?

It's 99% certain almost ipad will look like this. Real or fake it won't be long until Apple announce one and we can all buy it. My prediction is March. We seen Iphone 5 parts a few months before launch. October will be all about Iphone.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Why would apple stay with the same style of paint job like on the iPhone that has received so many complaints of chipping and silver showing through?

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
I have a feeling quite a few people have also held off purchasing their first iPad. I know I have. I was just waiting for that 'perfect storm' of features/value that it takes Apple products a few generations in to hit.

Ipad 3 was the tipping point on a truly great device. Retina+LTE=Hotness
Same for the iPhone 5

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
If this ends up being true it will be a DAY 1 buy for me. The iPad Mini just blows me away every time I hold it compared to a normal iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.