Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
People have already made a full size mock up though.

I mean do you think Apple is going to release ipad 5 as heavy and the same design as the last few?

It's 99% certain almost ipad will look like this. Real or fake it won't be long until Apple announce one and we can all buy it. My prediction is March. We seen Iphone 5 parts a few months before launch. October will be all about Iphone.

iPhone 5 leaks started 5 months before launch

New iPhone chip ---> new iPad chip

For example:
iPhone 5 A6 ----> ipad 4 A6X

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Any one else think the iPad 2 was the best? Its not heavy like the 3rd and 4th gens, and just feels perfect in your hand. The side bezel is the perfect width for my thumb. Maybe its just me.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
Nice, I love the look and smaller size.

I'm not really a fan of the current design. I find the 1st Gen iPad to be more aesthetically pleasing, although this leak has the 1st Gen beat.

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Any one else think the iPad 2 was the best? Its not heavy like the 3rd and 4th gens, and just feels perfect in your hand. The side bezel is the perfect width for my thumb. Maybe its just me.

With the exception of its camera, I would say yes.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Honestly, if you think an iPad is heavy, you need to lift some weights and eat some protein.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
If it's really that much smaller and maintains the 9.7inch screen, I'm in for the next-gen iPad. I've been tempted by the Mini by its thin bezels and such, but have been reluctant. The smaller 10inch looks awesome.

LeoCastillo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Manila, Philippines

For big iPads the Retina Display is truly awesome, so no, I won't go for iPad 2. If size and weight was the issue, I would say go with iPad mini. Excellent device.

Leo

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Gimme gimme gimme!

I was looking forward to buying a 13" Retina MacBook Pro for a portable but I now have the difficult choice between one of these and the MacBook Pro. Damn first world problems! :eek:

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
If a March release, it will use A6X and we will see an update to A7X in October. The choice will be redesign in March or more powerful in October. Buy in March, have new form factor for a year; buy in October, have performance increase for a year. This will be a fair and nice upgrade cycle.

I will upgrade immediately from my iPad 3 gen if available in March. Thin and light very important to me.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This rumor makes a lot of sense and if it turns out to be true, I will be buying one... two, if the next mini isn't retina.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
The only thing that I think could distinguish this as fake is the microphone hole on the back of the cellular antenna, instead of on the top like every other iPad to date.

The new beamforming microphone setup they are rolling out on iOS devices and Macs requires at least two microphones.

If a March release, it will use A6X and we will see an update to A7X in October.

There is also the likelihood of a 28nm die shrink of the A6X. The 28nm A6X could also be multi-sourced from Samsung as well as another fab.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
If a March release, it will use A6X and we will see an update to A7X in October. The choice will be redesign in March or more powerful in October. Buy in March, have new form factor for a year; buy in October, have performance increase for a year. This will be a fair and nice upgrade cycle.

I will upgrade immediately from my iPad 3 gen if available in March. Thin and light very important to me.

Has Apple ever released a new iOS device iteration (besides iPods) without upgrading the chip?

That scenario will be iPad 3 and iPad 4 fiasco all over again.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
People are surprisingly upbeat about this one... where are all the posts about lack of innovation?

Couldn't they make an ipad with no bezel? And use software or some sort of dead zone to detect thumbs?

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I have the iPad 1 and the mini. They each serve their purpose and both are growing strong. The iPad 1 is great at home and is on the coffee table. I actually like the wider border from a practical standpoint because my shirt and fingers don't interfere with the display. It still holds a charge well and runs everything I want.

The mini is my travel ipad and I use it as a large gps machine in my vehicle when going on vacation. It is easy to hold in one hand and is ultra portable. I do find that on occasion I need to readjust my hand holding it because my thumb or shirt will interfere with the screen (either in visibility or the touch sensing).

So, IMHO, it does look like Apple will have another great iteration of their product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.