Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sellewiet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
So when you update the Galaxy SII to Jellybean you get NFC?

Smart answer to stupid question: Then you're Galaxy SII OS supports NFC yes.

Stupid answer to stupid question: So when you update you're iPhone 4S to iOS6, it's screen grows half an inch?

Sellewiet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
So what if some features are not supported on some iOS devices? At least they can run all the latest iOS 6 apps and that's what's count.

The real problem with fragmentation is the mess it causes to developers trying to reach the most users possible without having to create multiple versions.

How many versions of Android a developer will have to target if it wants to reach 300 millions potential customers? I bet it's a lot more and that it would have to cover versions all the way back to 2.2... This means in many cases, a lot more work and a lot more testing.

What counts, is that Apple can use these ambiguous numbers to put in a chart to brag about in their press conferences. And what about the developers of Apple products? They used to have to make only one app for the iPhone, now you have the 4/4S resolution, 5 resolution, iPad Mini/iPad 2 resolution and iPad 4 resolution. Plus like I said, not all products have the same features, yet it's all gathered under the same name. That's also fragmentation, but Apple doesn't seem to admit it.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Of the 500 million total iOS devices that Apple has sold, about 100 million have been sold with iOS 6 already installed. That leaves 400 million iOS devices that started with iOS 5 or earlier. 200 million of those have been upgraded to iOS 6.

That's just 50%! Seems pretty low to me!

Mark <--- still running iOS 5 on one iPhone and two iPads and no plans to update!

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Of the 500 million total iOS devices that Apple has sold, about 100 million have been sold with iOS 6 already installed. That leaves 400 million iOS devices that started with iOS 5 or earlier. 200 million of those have been upgraded to iOS 6.

That's just 50%! Seems pretty low to me!

Mark <--- still running iOS 5 on one iPhone and two iPads and no plans to update!

Yes, but not all are eligible. I'd like to know how many original iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPod touch (1st & 2nd gen) were sold. Then we would get a true percentage of total eligible that have upgraded.

EDIT: using these links, lets assume 10 million iPod touches (1/2) for a total of 50,000,000 not eligible.

http://www.learn-cocos2d.com/2012/0...q1-2012-split-by-model-opengl-es-2-0-support/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

So total iOS device sales ever = 500,000,000

Minus those not eligible (50,000,000)

Net Eligible is 450,000,000

On iOS - 300,000,000 or 2/3 or 66.666%

Impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Wonder how much it will jump after the jailbreak comes out. And it should only go up as more people are on iOS 5+ where OTA is available.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
What counts, is that Apple can use these ambiguous numbers to put in a chart to brag about in their press conferences. And what about the developers of Apple products? They used to have to make only one app for the iPhone, now you have the 4/4S resolution, 5 resolution, iPad Mini/iPad 2 resolution and iPad 4 resolution. Plus like I said, not all products have the same features, yet it's all gathered under the same name. That's also fragmentation, but Apple doesn't seem to admit it.

Why would anyone care about these numbers if not in the context of app development?

Obviously Apple brags about them to show that iOS is (still) a huge market for developers. The fact that the 3GS/4 can't do panoramas or Siri doesn't change anything about that. (If anything, it means more sales for panorama apps).

I like how you tried to make the screen issue bigger than it is. There's really only 3 screens form factors to target on iOS, as retina versions run on non-retina displays without any additional work.

1 - 960x640 (works on 480x320 displays without modification)
2 - 1136x640 (doesn't take really much more work than 960x640 as it can use the same icons/assets)
3 - 2048x1536 (works on 1024x768 displays without modification)

Having 3 different screen formats to target is nothing compared to dealing with APIs from multiple OS versions. Do you know anything about mobile development? OS updates are more than user-end features.

Last edited:

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
that's astounding, given how many many ios devices cannot update (iphone 2G, iphone 3G, iPad 1, ipod touch v.1-3). I know they have sold many more of the more recent ones, but still, that knocks out a big chunk of the remaining 40% right off the bat.

Andreu

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
I'm still rocking the iPad 1 with iOS 5.1 . I'd like a mini iPad with a retina display and a a6x processor though.

Smart choice. Don't ever update to iOS 6. it kills your bluetooth.

my 3GS bluetooth stopped connecting to my iPad3 since iOS 6 but still works with my MBP.
since iOS 6.1 a few hours ago. it stopped working altogether with my MBP.
This has been ongoing since iOS 6 launch and Apple simply denied it. give me back iOS 5 anytime and I'll prove to you that my bluetooth works fine on 3GS without any issues...

Apple died with Steve Jobs..

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Apparently you haven't used any version of Android in the last few years, not to mention 4.2 The keyboard in 4.2 is so much better than iOS it's ridiculous. Not to mention the "GUI" in 4.2 absolutely smokes iOS these days.

People who insist that iOS is still at the top of the heap do so out of ignorance. The game has changed people.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/19/android-4-2-gate-here-are-some-of-the-major-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/

Also a very small percentage has JellyBean 4.2. Just because Google reskinned their OS and finally decided to add smoothness and consistency to their OS is not groundbreaking at all. Matter of fact iOS users have been enjoying a very smooth consistent OS for a while now. And Jelly Bean touch latency and scrolling is still inferior to iOS espcially on a i5 with iOS 6.1

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Yeah but they just gave it the same name, but not all features are supported on all devices, so that % is a bit skewed. With Android, if a device has JellyBean, it has all the features of JellyBean.
While that may be true, the real point of getting everyone to update iOS is so that us developers have an easy API to target. So while the user features may or not be supported by certain iOS devices, the API (which is what everyone talks about when they say “fragmentation”) is basically the same, which is really, in the end what matters, at least to developers....

Beautyspin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2012
Yeah, it is. How many Android devices are out there? Lets say there's 100.

Of those 100;

How many run the most recent OS build?
What's their screen resolution?
How much RAM do they have?
What's their CPU benchmarks?
Will my App run on every one of those devices?

Apple Developers get it very, very easy when compared to Android. Android is ridiculously fragmented, and Google have only recently started taking steps to stop it.

At the beginning - it was the number of activations. Then it became the number the Apps, then it became the total number of devices with the OS, then the total APP downloads.. Apple was always leading and Android kept beating them..

Now we have fragmentation and web traffic and profit - Three metrics where Apple leads. Any bets on how long they are going to do that (the profit thing looks like a thing of past as rumours of a cheap iphone and end of career subsidies float. Already Nexus 7 forced iPad mini which has the least GM). The Stock price is tanking like no tomorrow.. It is tough to be an apple fanboy these days..

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Some people just don't care about updates or whatnots. I knew this one girl who didn't even have a single song on her iPhone because she didn't how to transfer songs. I sincerely don't expect her to update...

Although it does prompt you update to iOS6 - So a lot of people will just go "oh, yeah, whatever then" and hit update when the box comes up, when they otherwise wouldn't have bothered.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
Same happens on Android and Windows Phone, you get a notification that a system update is available, you tap it and update.

Nope, not on my S2 running Gingerbread. I know there's an ICS update available for it--even approved by my carrier--but I can click the Check for Update button all day long and I'll never get it. It's just the same old sloppy OS...

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I bet the ones missing are devices jailbroken or outdated (iPhone 3G and iPhone and several other iPod Touches and the iPad)
My iPhone 4 isn't jailbroken, but updating the OS to iOS 6 would have broken the map functionality on my device, only bringing a number of minor, useless features. I know I could use the new Google Maps instead, but all other apps would be using Apple Maps by default, so there's really no incentive for me to update.
Yeah I know, cool story bro.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
My iPhone 4 isn't jailbroken, but updating the OS to iOS 6 would have broken the map functionality on my device, only bringing a number of minor, useless features. I know I could use the new Google Maps instead, but all other apps would be using Apple Maps by default, so there's really no incentive for me to update.
Yeah I know, cool story bro.

Not really, sacrificing Google Maps default settings is a big one for many. So yes, I understand.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Smart answer to stupid question: Then you're Galaxy SII OS supports NFC yes.

Stupid answer to stupid question: So when you update you're iPhone 4S to iOS6, it's screen grows half an inch?

I think you missed the point entirely.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
OMG are you kidding me? GUI is way better than androids. So is keyboard. Apparently you dont know how the iPhone keyboard works in the background. Haptic feedback is useless.

The GUI can use improvements - it's getting stale.

Have you used swype? You can take many times faster (and easier) than pecking at the keys. Haptic feedback is not useless - it's quite successful on the Galaxy Note 2, but the iPhone could benefit from moderate use of it (i.e. confirmation prompts, etc.).

----------

So when you update the Galaxy SII to Jellybean you get NFC?

That's a hardware feature - but all the software functions should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.