Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It's not a poor man phone since it can't even make calls over cellular.

It's a iPhone without the phone. The 5th gen is very similar to the iPhone 5 in a lot of aspects. :)

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
No because it costs more than an iphone 5 (but the same as the 32gb model)

I love my touch but would never consider using an iphone ever again.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
iPod Touch is something iPhone should be .. specifically the price point, it's only fair if the price is for the iPhone 5, off contract and unlocked.

But hey, two words .. Profit Margin. ;)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It is very much the poor man's iPhone. Pair it with the right voip apps and try to keep an open wifi connection and you can get pretty close to an iPhone functionally without the $100/month service fee and $2,000+ total cost of ownership. Ear buds + microphone is a great way to go.

However, I now think the iPad Mini should get this title as it can be had with cellular data on-demand for <= $30/month. Pair it with the right voip apps (I think talkatone and Skype are killer myself) + earbuds with microphone and you can even more so approximate an iPhone experience without the $100/month service fee. I switched to this option and am yet to use the cellular option. It's working great for texting and inbound & outbound calling mobiles or landlines for near $0/month.

If there's ever a merging of iPad's 4G hardware and data plans with iPod Touch's pocket-ability, I think you'll pretty much nail the "poor man's iPhone" in full.

Last edited:

tr1990

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
Western Sydney
The iPod Touch is not a poor man's iPhone.

I have both the iPhone5 and the iPod Touch 5th Generation.

I use my iPod for my music and games but I have my iPhone for Business E-mail and Personal Calls.

I'd say a cheapie Android Phone is a poor man's iPhone.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
Definitely not the poor-man's iPhone. If you are poor not to afford an iPhone, you wouldn't spend money on an advanced mp3-player.

I'd say it is a portal device - i.e. what brings adolescents and folk who are not interested in the iPhone to Apple products. Once you got the Touch, you definitely want to upgrade to an iPad or even an iPhone after that. Tried this on me - worked like a charm - Apple know their ways...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.