Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
This shall make me ponder between the mini and full size ipad ! If the full size ipad is really light i might skip the mini !

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Any one else think the iPad 2 was the best? Its not heavy like the 3rd and 4th gens, and just feels perfect in your hand. The side bezel is the perfect width for my thumb. Maybe its just me.

Not just you. I have held back with my iPad 2 for some of the same reasons. I do wish that the 3rd and 4th were lighter as I really wanted the retina display, but I just couldn't pull the trigger as the 2nd has worked well for me up till now. If this rumor is correct, then I will be planning to upgrade to the 5th this year to finally get retina and get the weight and size benefits.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Looks good, but guess the 4th gen is the last one where you can get a black front and a silver black. Shame to be saddled with that cheap black back if you want a black bezel.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Getting rid of the bezels?? WTF?? Not sure if someone threw a brick at Jonny Ive's head or if this is because Steve Jobs isn't here to point out this garbage design. If this truly is the new iPad than I'm done getting iPads from Apple. I have never been this disappointed in Apple.

I don't know why people are so into Ive. The guy doesn't know when to stop. The newest iMac is proof of that. He's willing to make huge tradeoff's all in the process of making something sleeker or slimmer even if it doesn't provide any real benefit.

The guy also has a strange obsession to using sharp edges on handheld devices.

Last edited:

BmMac427

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Gimme gimme gimme!

I was looking forward to buying a 13" Retina MacBook Pro for a portable but I now have the difficult choice between one of these and the MacBook Pro. Damn first world problems! :eek:

Why not go with the macbook air? Very portable. Id go with a laptop over an iPad first. Thats just me.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Why'd people think that it will have the A6X? Maybe it will have the A7 or A7X.

Remember that the A-Series started with the iPad 1, then iPhone 4. iPad 2 got A5 then the iPhone 4S did... There's no reason why this baby can't have the A7 and then use it on the iPhone 5S.

wingsabre

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I always wondered why Apple moved away from the iPad 1 design. The square/box design looks way better than the tapered on found in the iPad 2-4.

It's easier to pick up. For larger/heavier objects, a tapered edge makes it significantly easier to pick up and reduces the chance of scraping the back. In the first iPad, it had a straight edge, but it also slightly tapered to the back. It was also a lot thicker, and could fit that into the design.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Why not go with the macbook air? Very portable. Id go with a laptop over an iPad first. Thats just me.

I agree. Unless you really need an optical drive or 500gb of storage I don't know why anyone would pick the regular 13 inch macbook pro over an air. And I don't really recommend the the 13 retina. Its too laggy.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Yes, Yes, YES!! I knew they'd do that, as soon as I saw the mini had software to handle the thumb on the screen.

There's a lot of metal missing; this should make it significantly lighter. I might have to upgrade from my iPad 1 now.. I need to actually take it's weight in hand and see.

The mini is stunning too; if they put retina on it it'll be killer. However, I doubt they will do so now, as it would make it extremely difficult to choose between the regular and the mini!:D

Now Apple, bring on separate user accounts and an OSX ML gesture to make the icons disappear/reappear in iOS7 and I'm good.:apple:

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
If the new iPad is this small, they may not put retina in the iPad mini.

The iPad Mini would have been pointless then.

People need to have choice.

Apple just can't shove one thing down there throat and expect them to like it.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
yup... another same ipad.

How much more different do you want it to be? I don't see where they can take this design any further and keep it functional for most people.

Although I'd love to see a bezel-less iPad (I hold mine like a painter's palette most of the time, negating the bezels), I can see the necessity for the top and bottom bezels for the camera and home button.

The form factor is basically mature at this point; however this is a significant change in design for the full size iPad, despite the fact we've seen it in the iPad mini. Is that what you meant?

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
How much more different do you want it to be? I don't see where they can take this design any further and keep it functional for most people.

Although I'd love to see a bezel-less iPad (I hold mine like a painter's palette most of the time, negating the bezels), I can see the necessity for the top and bottom bezels for the camera and home button.

The form factor is basically mature at this point; however this is a significant change in design for the full size iPad, despite the fact we've seen it in the iPad mini. Is that what you meant?

Agreed.

An iPad is an iPad.

It changes with every update. But why do we need the model to look different each time?

Apple just won't suck a new design out of there crappers every single year.

We might get a new design this year.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Black cases tend to show finger prints...

Looks thinner too, but hopefully Apple kept the battery capacity.

But it'll take more than a sleek case to maintain the iPad's dominance... hopefully there are software improvements too.

Crazyadv

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
gonna need some other reason to upgrade; ipad3 does everything perfectly

honestly thinking about going android with it's higher res screen (2560x1600)

Unless your eyes have a freakish ability to discriminate greater detail than is humanly possible, getting a higher resolution is pointless. It's called a "retina" display for a reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.