Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I have an iPhone 5 and recently switched over from Safari to Chrome. I want to make Chrome my default browser; anything that requires a redirect is done via Safari. Can it be changed?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have an iPhone 5 and recently switched over from Safari to Chrome. I want to make Chrome my default browser; anything that requires a redirect is done via Safari. Can it be changed?

Not without changing system preferences which can only be accomplished thru a jailbreak. Rumors have it (the jailbreak) coming in Sunday.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Not without a Jailbreak.

Which a update is expected in February.

However i highly suggest not Jailbreaking.

If you ever have problems with your device and it's under AppleCare/AppleCare+ it will no longer be supported because you broke the TOS.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Not without a Jailbreak.

Which a update is expected in February.

However i highly suggest not Jailbreaking.

If you ever have problems with your device and it's under AppleCare/AppleCare+ it will no longer be supported because you broke the TOS.

1. Restore iPhone
2. Take to Apple for repairs
3. ????
4. PROFIT!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
.___.

I never dealt with Jailbreaks. Sooooo...

I have a question. Who exactly updates Jailbreaking to the latest version like we've been hearing so much about coming in February?

There's a kind of 'hobbyist' team who do it, called the Dev Team. They work to find exploits in iOS then release it as a jailbreak, or at least they used to. Haven't heard from them for a while, and not sure who created the 6.1 jailbreak.

You can unjailbreak simply by restoring.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Damn. I hate jailbreaking.

You can make a shortcut in Safari to open your current tab in Chrome. Sure it isn't as good as setting a default browser, but if you prefer Chrome it is a quick way to get back.

Code:
javascript:location.href="googlechrome"+location.href.substring(4);

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
.___.

I never dealt with Jailbreaks. Sooooo...

So.....you probably shouldn't advise people on them. ;)

Anyway, it is supremely easy to undo a jailbreak.

1. Back up phone
2. Click 'Restore' in iTunes.
3. Wait
4. When phone boots, restore from backup.
5. Clean, fresh, non jailbroken phone with all your regular non JB apps and settings still intact.

I for one, am so excited to have a jailbroken phone again. I had a JB 4S until September, and I got the 5. While I prefer the 5 over a jailbroken 4S, a jailbroken 5 will be awesome. There are SO many good tweaks and customization options available, and you still have access to all the great App store stuff.

vahighland

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Atlanta
Wow this really brings back memories. I remember when Microsoft was sued by the federal government (and subsequently by some states) for bundling their browser with their operating system; forcing Microsoft to allow other browsers to be installed/integrated with the OS.

Amazing how times have changed. I guess the government loves Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.