Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
iTunes in the cloud is great, finally! I used iTunes Match originally to update all my old music files but let it renew because I liked have music access directly via my Apple TV without having to have a computer on or my iPad/iPhone handy; now I can cancel my iTunes Match renewal this year.

Okay so it doesn't have my ripped CD music, but I can live with that and Airplay when I cannot for the cost of saving $25 a year.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Can someone please tell me what the point of iTunes in the Cloud (or Match) on an Apple TV is? You can already stream your music to your Apple TV over wifi direct from your computer without having to waste your network download gigabytes. It's not like you can use an Apple TV without a computer and there must be very few people who don't download the music they've purchased onto their computer. Don't get it.
Why can't you use an Apple TV without a computer? Of course you can.

It's great because you can do it when your computer is off, and even if the songs you bought are not downloaded on the computer. Or you just haven't setup sharing.

There's no reason for it not to work. Apple TV should let you access your iCloud purchased content, and now it does for music too.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, it's weird that their iOS app doesn't allow Airplay. Maybe they want people to use the Apple TV's built in Netflix app.

Not really. Think about it.. You really really think that Apple itself won't be very soon offering movie AND music streaming? If not, wouldn't Airplay already like be on Netflix ages ago? Um, same for the Amazon app...Although someone said it recently added Airplay?? Edit -- Just checked the Amazon app - NO Airplay on it either :) and that app is brand new... There's something afoot for sure and it's not a rights issue.

Bottom line -- with 500 million mobile devices and counting -- will it really be that long until Apple itself starts acquiring and distributing content? And seriously, they should. They've got tons of cash and content is king. I know I know, they say they won't --- just like Steve said they'd stick with the larger iPad. Never say never.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
direct streaming ?

Does this mean you don't need iTunes to play ?

The only thing i can think of that finds Bluetooth support useful on ATV at the moment is "searching", till Apple adds "stuff"

That alone, is not a big deal..... (just takes ya a bit longer with the remote, unless your speedy)

If its something you have to get out to do (in this case a bluetooth keyboard) its not worth doing. However, good idea though.

blinkin182

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Switzerland
You can stream purchased music if you are not an iTunes Match subscriber.

Also can confirm, bluetooth keyboard works with Apple TV (2nd gen).

Thanks for confirming bluetooth keyboard works with 2nd gen!
I imagine navigation is a combination of arrow keys, enter/return and esc. Is that correct?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Or, better still, rather than Apple trying to pick the right size hard drive to balance pricing needs and customer wants (which widely vary), how about just normalize the USB port and let those that want local storage hookup however much storage they desire?

Either way. Personally I'd prefer a HD built in. I've had to hack my 1st Gen to hook up a 1TB drive. So now I have the ATV and the HD constantly powered on which is not ideal but it is better than having to keep your computer on to stream stuff to your tv.

Apples mantra is elegance and ease of use but having an additional HD attached goes against both of those so putting a HD back in would make more sense - like it did originally (apart from the ridiculously small storage capabilities).

msonic77

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Why would you need a hard drive? If you want to save a movie and watch it multiple times or keep a local iTunes library? Allowing users to attach extra storage would be good, but putting in a hard drive that not many people need just raises the cost and makes it less reliable.
Simple bit : not Apple TV anymore ( same formfactor ) - but MacMicro instead. Let it be ...)

mxswe

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
I was planning on buying a atv3 but then I saw the latest news about finding some info about a new one in the latest ios 5.2

What can we really expect if there is an ATV 4 on the way? Maybe a A6 processor? If that is the case maybe even a appstore?

There has to be something new coming up with the new BT keyboard feature, not that much you can use the keyboard with on the ATV 3 today.

A appstore would be freakin awesome, plex right in to the box what a dream =)

Siri and facetime maybe? Control your apple tv with siri would be pretty nice, samsung is already there with their latest tv's.

There has been talk about a new tv from apple but I don't think they will release a tv. Can't imagine apple have a stock in their stores filled with tv's. Maybe.. maybe they will release a service similiar to netflix in a new apple tv case? With a full supported appstore and siri and camera?

What do you guys think?

And sorry for the bad english!

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
BT keyboard support is awesome. I hate using the little remote to type in wifi-passwords. Especially since mine is 18 random characters.

roverma

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
The Netherlands
App remote

Remote app isn't working anymore on iPad 4 and iPad mini after 6.1 update....
Can't connect to Apple TV3, it sees apple tv and connects to iTunes library, but not to the apple tv.
Still works fine on iPhone 4S.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I was planning on buying a atv3 but then I saw the latest news about finding some info about a new one in the latest ios 5.2

What can we really expect if there is an ATV 4 on the way? Maybe a A6 processor? If that is the case maybe even a appstore?

There has to be something new coming up with the new BT keyboard feature, not that much you can use the keyboard with on the ATV 3 today.

A appstore would be freakin awesome, plex right in to the box what a dream =)

Siri and facetime maybe? Control your apple tv with siri would be pretty nice, samsung is already there with their latest tv's.

There has been talk about a new tv from apple but I don't think they will release a tv. Can't imagine apple have a stock in their stores filled with tv's. Maybe.. maybe they will release a service similiar to netflix in a new apple tv case? With a full supported appstore and siri and camera?

What do you guys think?

And sorry for the bad english!

I sure would love an app store, even if its just for gaming. Nothing would be cooler than splitting the game on an ipod touch or iphone, and an iPad, with the TV.

Think about using your iphone or touch as the controller, the iPad as a "map" of the area, and the apple tv as the display.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Either way. Personally I'd prefer a HD built in. I've had to hack my 1st Gen to hook up a 1TB drive. So now I have the ATV and the HD constantly powered on which is not ideal but it is better than having to keep your computer on to stream stuff to your tv.

Apples mantra is elegance and ease of use but having an additional HD attached goes against both of those so putting a HD back in would make more sense - like it did originally (apart from the ridiculously small storage capabilities).

Then it turns into a "how much hard drive storage inside?" question in which no one wins except the small subset that happens to get close to the size they want at the approx. price increase they want. Everyone else is going to gripe about "too small" or "too much" and "I don't want to sync when I have perfectly good storage on my Mac and can stream" and "I don't want to pay more for an on-board drive that doesn't have enough storage", etc. All of these were gripes that constantly flew when the "1" was the one.

I don't think Apple solved that problem by arbitrarily dismissing the internal storage (though the price gripers were happier). Thus, I believe the answer is in normalizing that USB port and letting those wanting to sync attach whatever level of storage they desire and those happy with streaming don't have to pay up for storage they don't want. OR, turn on some NAS discovery features so that the :apple:TV4 or 5 can discover media on network attached drives (maybe hooked to an AEBS or Time Capsule).

As to power conservation, there are plenty of attached storage solutions that spin down when not in use.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Can someone please tell me what the point of iTunes in the Cloud (or Match) on an Apple TV is? You can already stream your music to your Apple TV over wifi direct from your computer without having to waste your network download gigabytes. It's not like you can use an Apple TV without a computer and there must be very few people who don't download the music they've purchased onto their computer. Don't get it.

The major upside is it basically gives you a hard drive without ATV actually having one. I buy movies on my appleTV, and they stay in the "cloud" unless apple loses licencing rights, I can watch those movies anytime, anywhere w/o actually having a copy downloaded.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Thanks for confirming bluetooth keyboard works with 2nd gen!
I imagine navigation is a combination of arrow keys, enter/return and esc. Is that correct?

Owner of 2 :apple:tv 2s here, and I also confirm Bluetooth compatibility.

Navigation is very close to what you imagine, along with a pleasant surprise or two. On the Apple wireless keyboard:
  • Arrow keys: Analogous to the direction keys on the Apple Remote.
  • Enter key: Equivalent to the Select button (in center of direction keys).
  • Escape key: Equivalent to the Menu key (i.e. "escapes" to previous menu).
  • Play/Pause in the media button area: Just like the Play/Pause button on the remote.
  • Next/Previous in the media button area: Can be used either for rewind/FF, or next/previous chapter. I haven't played with it enough to figure out which.
  • Typing in search functions for both NetFlix and YouTube works as expected.
  • And the pleasant surprise: While in a menu with lots of items e.g. a list of music artists, pressing a keyboard letter instantly jumps to that letter in the list. No more holding the Down button! ZZ Top fans rejoice! :D

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Then it turns into a "how much hard drive storage inside?" question in which no one wins except the small subset that happens to get close to the size they want at the approx. price increase they want. Everyone else is going to gripe about "too small" or "too much" and "I don't want to sync when I have perfectly good storage on my Mac and can stream" and "I don't want to pay more for an on-board drive that doesn't have enough storage", etc. All of these were gripes that constantly flew when the "1" was the one.

I don't think Apple solved that problem by arbitrarily dismissing the internal storage (though the price gripers were happier). Thus, I believe the answer is in normalizing that USB port and letting those wanting to sync attach whatever level of storage they desire and those happy with streaming don't have to pay up for storage they don't want. OR, turn on some NAS discovery features so that the :apple:TV4 or 5 can discover media on network attached drives (maybe hooked to an AEBS or Time Capsule).

As to power conservation, there are plenty of attached storage solutions that spin down when not in use.

Or provide a hd option :rolleyes:

thesaint580

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Even after 4 hrs of leaving the Apple TV to update, it was still stuck at 2/3s trying to prepare the update. Not sure to try again or use iTunes now. Wondering what's up with Apple QA Engineers these days.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Even after 4 hrs of leaving the Apple TV to update, it was still stuck at 2/3s trying to prepare the update. Not sure to try again or use iTunes now. Wondering what's up with Apple QA Engineers these days.

Same happened to me, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it started fine and the second attempt at updating went without a hitch. No big deal.:)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Or provide a hd option :rolleyes:

What option though? What's the "right" size for an :apple:TV hard drive and how much higher should the price be to serve that option? Is that 1TB and a bigger case for about $199-$249 retail? Or is that 1TB as an SSD in a similar sized case for about $1,000-$1,500+? Is 1TB the right size (it wouldn't be for me)? So how about 2TB or 3TB and the retail increase to accommodate those sizes? I've seen guys post that they have 5+TBs of media. Maybe 128GB SSD and pricing it at about $199-$249 retail? Is 128GB too small for you? Maybe 256GB and pricing it at about $249-349 retail? See the problem?

Eyes roll or not, there is no right size. Too small to keep the price low and the crowd will scoff at the piddly storage. Too large to cover a broad range of "I want to sync my collection" (of widely varied sizes) and the price will be much higher, so the crowd will scoff at the higher price. There's a no-win here for Apple if they try to build it inside.

Normalize the USB port and Apple or third parties could build a matching case (ala mini-stack: http://www.newertech.com/products/ministack.php) that would cleanly attach to the :apple:TV to yield the (near) appearance of a single unit. THAT solution would then feed the wishes of nearly everyone in terms of how much storage they want and how much they want to pay up for it. And those that don't care as much about aesthetics could attach fat drives in less seamless enclosures for less.

I had the gen "1" and loved the ability to sync myself. I miss that feature every day. But, I also ran out of storage space and it turned into selective sync, then opening it to install a third party (bigger than stock) drive, and then jailbreaking and attaching the amount of storage I wanted. I completely understand the desire for it but Apple can't get this one right for the masses, only the select few where Apple's choice would just happen to line up with what those few consider "about right" and accepting of the price increase.

Today, Apple announced a 128GB iPad option and the thread is rapidly filling with gripes about the price increase for 64GB of additional storage at a $100 premium. That's what happens when Apple picks the capacity and charges for it. There's already a USB port on the existing model. Normalize it and turn on the underlying software to resurrect sync. Then everyone can attach whatever storage (vs. cost) best fits their own needs. And those happy with streaming don't have to pay anything extra for "piddly on-board storage 'I'll' never use."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.