Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Ok I think that every phone ever made does not fare well if sat on. That is why I never understood people putting phones in there back pocket. You can say what you want about the iPhone, but the build is one of the best if not the best. Please tell me a better phone build wise?

Build wise? What do you mean by that? Design? Strength? Both?

In general, I prefer the design of the One X over any other phones in both categories. Very solid phone with a beautiful design.

At the end, it's opinions. You say the iPhone is designed best but not everyone will say the same.

As for people putting their phones in their back pocket. They do it because it was ok with previous phones.

----------

My Nexus has weird scuff marks all over the plastic body. I don't know where they came from or why they won't go away, but it's enough to convince me that plastic loses its aesthetic appeal after a few weeks.

Most materials scuffs, just look at the amount of threads here discussing about scuffs on the iPhone 5.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Build wise? What do you mean by that? Design? Strength? Both?

In general, I prefer the design of the One X over any other phones in both categories. Very solid phone with a beautiful design.

At the end, it's opinions. You say the iPhone is designed best but not everyone will say the same.

As for people putting their phones in their back pocket. They do it because it was ok with previous phones.

----------

Most materials scuffs, just look at the amount of threads here discussing about scuffs on the iPhone 5.

Was it ok with previous phones. If you had an iPhone 4 or a Samsung s2 or HTC one x you could run the risk of smashing the screen. It was never I good idea to have your phone in your back pocket. I don't care what kind of phone you have sit the wrong way and that screen is done.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I don't care what kind of phone you have sit the wrong way and that screen is done.

Nope

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380849,00.asp

I saw a video of people playing soccer with this phone.

And I accidently had my One X in my back pcket once in a while because my only paid of jeans during my trip had huge holes on front both pockets. I don't have it anymore but it never broke/bent the few times I sat down on it. Then agian, I only weight 135lbs.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
My Nexus has weird scuff marks all over the plastic body. I don't know where they came from or why they won't go away, but it's enough to convince me that plastic loses its aesthetic appeal after a few weeks.

Of the smartphones that I have owned, my SGS3 is the one that showed the least amount of wear amongst them all. Save for a barely visible scuff that you have to look hard to find, it looks almost brand new after 6 months.

My Nokia N97 has a plastic body for the most part with a bit of metal. The metal part is dented where I dropped it one day. It has taken a beating, but keeps working. Some of the silvery trim has worn off on the edges of the screen. I used this phone for about 7 months before I ditched it because it really sucked.

My HTC Desire Z was the one I used the longest. It was my daily driver for 20 months before the battery died. The only visible wear on it are in the corners where it seems the sweat of my hand reacts to the rubbery surface over time. Also, the back battery cover is worn. There seemed to be some coating on the metal battery cover that wore off after use. The rest of the phone does not appear to be worn.

I do not use any case with my phones, but I do carry them in a holster that clips on my belt. When at home, it is naked and I leave it on my table.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Ok I think that every phone ever made does not fare well if sat on. That is why I never understood people putting phones in there back pocket. You can say what you want about the iPhone, but the build is one of the best if not the best. Please tell me a better phone build wise?

The Motorola Razr series with their kevlar backs. And Nokia 920 is built like a tank.

For me I always buy cases for my phones. And without a case a iPhone 5 will look like garbage after a few months. This was already proven on gizmodo. Who cares about build quality when your phone looks trashy. I would actually pick a polycarbonate iPhone over a metal iPhone any day.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Nope

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380849,00.asp

I saw a video of people playing soccer with this phone.

And I accidently had my One X in my back pcket once in a while because my only paid of jeans during my trip had huge holes on front both pockets. I don't have it anymore but it never broke/bent the few times I sat down on it. Then agian, I only weight 135lbs.

Well I keep a case on all my phones and have never had issues with iPhone 5. Try looking at the drop test for Samsung gs3 and the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 won each time. Don't get me wrong I love to hate on apple, but this is just one thing that they did not get wrong.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Either way there is almost no way to break the screen by sitting down on it. The main problem with the iphone 5 is that the body can be bent if sat on.

----------

Well I keep a case on all my phones and have never had issues with iPhone 5. Try looking at the drop test for Samsung gs3 and the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 won each time. Don't get me wrong I love to hate on apple, but this is just one thing that they did not get wrong.

I'm not hating on Apple at all. I'm just saying some phones are built better based on my preferences. And we didn't mention drop test earlier. The iphone 5 is better than the GS3 and the Note II. Haven't seen a comparable test with the HTC One X though.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Either way there is almost no way to break the screen by sitting down on it. The main problem with the iphone 5 is that the body can be bent if sat on.

----------

I'm not hating on Apple at all. I'm just saying some phones are built better based on my preferences. And we didn't mention drop test earlier. The iphone 5 is better than the GS3 and the Note II. Haven't seen a comparable test with the HTC One X though.

Yea I don't know. I have had no issues with my iphone bending, but I also I never put my iphone in my back pocket. I had friends put his phone not iphone in his back pocket and he sat down on a hard surface and it cracked the screen.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I like the design. Very sleek and simple. I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in it.

In the end, it will come down to the UI though.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
The important thing to note is that these aren't photos of the Z10, but renderings. They are what a graphic artist THINKS the Z10 will look like.

That said, these are very beautiful renderings.

But the proof will be when the actual hardware comes out. Then we'll get to see if the materials are sturdy, if the software lives up up expectations and is smooth and powerful, and whether app development and features people want aren't hindered by RIM's legendary "security."

Also, it would be kind of nice is WebOS came back. It was a dumb decision on HP's part to kill the platform. Unfortuantely, I have no confidence in HP making right decisions about it.

The same artist predicted the look of the iphone 5 with perfect accuracy.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I've never seen the BB10 OS or this device before today, but from what I've seen at least I'm disappointed that it just looks like another iOS/Android clone. Please tell me I'm wrong on this.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Looks like a decent device to me. It's pretty. Definitely reminds me a bit of the Motorola Droid X from the front. Especially near the earpiece. Hopefully BB can turn the ship around. We shall see. Sucks they cheaped out with the plastic though.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
This is the first time i heard of the Blackberry Z10.

But after looking at a picture of it.

The iPhone 5 looks much better in design.

However i don't know much about the rest of its concepts. So we need to wait.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Man, some serious short term memories here.

No one recalls the BB Playbook? How sleek people thought it was? How it might be better than the iPad? How it might put BB back in the game? How quickly it tanked and hit the discount bins?

Not saying this phone is doomed, but BB haven't exactly been on a roll lately.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The phone looks really nice and I've watched a couple hands on demonstrations of the UI. To be honest, I kind of like it. Not enough to spend money it however..

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
BlackBerrys are way behind.

There nothing compared to iPhones.

1: iPhones
2: Androids
3: Samsung
4: BlackBerrys

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
This is a good looking device. I just hope that the new BB OS delivers as it promised.

It is time to get the 4th major player to come back forth.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Wassup with this plastic phone obsession? You sound like the android folks and their "we have turn by turn and apple doesn't". You will find something else to complain about if they make an "aluminum" version with close to "retina" display. Competition is much needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.