Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hello PPC users, I have ran into a little problem on my PowerMac G5 2,5 GHz, late 2005.
You see, the Airport card appears to... disappear.

When i start the computer: Airport is found and connects to my network.
However, a pair of seconds later, it simply turns off.
I go into the settings/network and try to reenable it; but to no avail. It does not want to switch it on.
And if you restart or try to make a new Airport connection it simply states that there are no Airport cards installed.

This is proving to be quite a problem as on one boot the Airport functions for about a minute (max), and on the next boot it doesn't.

I checked the inards of it, but the card is sitting firmly, and no traces of any faulty wires or loose connections.

I've tried everything and now im stuck, any ideas?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello PPC users, I have ran into a little problem on my PowerMac G5 2,5 GHz, late 2005.
You see, the Airport card appears to... disappear.

When i start the computer: Airport is found and connects to my network.
However, a pair of seconds later, it simply turns off.
I go into the settings/network and try to reenable it; but to no avail. It does not want to switch it on.
And if you restart or try to make a new Airport connection it simply states that there are no Airport cards installed.

This is proving to be quite a problem as on one boot the Airport functions for about a minute (max), and on the next boot it doesn't.

I checked the inards of it, but the card is sitting firmly, and no traces of any faulty wires or loose connections.

I've tried everything and now im stuck, any ideas?
The Airport card has failed?

Wouldn't know how to check that though.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I doubt that it has failed, as it does work now and then (and there are no records about failing airport cards in PMG5). There seem to be something else going on, maybe in the software? It's running Leopard if that matters.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Nope, can't be my ISP. The router is brand new, but it works on every other Mac in the household. Using TeliaSonera.

One does not need to be connected to the router to make the card disappear. It just happens with the snap of your fingers.

Nobody had this problem before?

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Sounds like a hardware problem and not a connection problem, as if I'm understanding correctly, it's not disconnecting from the network, it's just shutting off and not being detected.

Check to make sure it's seated correctly and hasn't popped loose. It's probably a good idea to just take it out and reseat it as well as the antenna.

Otherwise, it's likely either the card itself or the plug on your motherboard failing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.