Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I've been rolling out ideas for some time now. MacRumors is one of the first places to hear about it, since other forums are full of trolls (feel special). One thing I believe really needs to be reinvented: chargers. That's where Fre came to mind. Fre is an acronym: Freely Recharge Electronics. You can only imagine what this invention is based around...
The idea is wireless charging. Almost like Bluetooth but with a greater purpose. A plug goes into a wall outlet and a dongle goes into the phone's (or other electronics) charging port. This is limitless since there are many ports out there. The plug would pick up the charge from the outlet and transmit it to the dongle, thus charging the phone. I'm not sure if it would work but I KNOW there's nothing like it on the market today.
The other idea I had (which doesn't have a name yet) is like a charging station. Put your phone/device on the platform and it is again charged wirelessly. The platform gets plugged into the wall while the phone picks up the charge automatically, wirelessly.
What do you think of these ideas?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I've been rolling out ideas for some time now. MacRumors is one of the first places to hear about it, since other forums are full of trolls (feel special). One thing I believe really needs to be reinvented: chargers. That's where Fre came to mind. Fre is an acronym: Freely Recharge Electronics. You can only imagine what this invention is based around...
The idea is wireless charging. Almost like Bluetooth but with a greater purpose. A plug goes into a wall outlet and a dongle goes into the phone's (or other electronics) charging port. This is limitless since there are many ports out there. The plug would pick up the charge from the outlet and transmit it to the dongle, thus charging the phone. I'm not sure if it would work but I KNOW there's nothing like it on the market today.
There's nothing like that on the market because the technology to transmit enough power to charge a phone over long distances doesn't exist.

The other idea I had (which doesn't have a name yet) is like a charging station. Put your phone/device on the platform and it is again charged wirelessly. The platform gets plugged into the wall while the phone picks up the charge automatically, wirelessly.
What do you think of these ideas?

Induction charging. It's been around for years, has never really taken off. I have an induction charger for my Magic Mouse though. It's pretty convenient.

Renzatic

Suspended
There's nothing like that on the market because the technology to transmit enough power to charge a phone over long distances doesn't exist.

Depends on what you mean by long distance. I'm sure someone could rig something up that would allow you to charge your phone wirelessly while in the same room fairly easily. The biggest problem is that it'd be large, expensive, and probably not very efficient because you'll have to keep its energy output low enough so it doest electrocute anyone who accidentally brushes up against it.

Or you could use a microwave rectenna hooked up to the bottom of a cell phone with some kind of transmitter hooked up to the AC. Though for some reason, I don't think that's a good idea. What with the potential for cooked brains and all.

But anyway, it could be done. It's just that as of right now, none of the technology is very safe, small, or cheap.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Wireless charging pads like that have been around for some time - My friend has an Energizer one that he uses to charge his Wii remotes :)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Hey dude, I think it is great that you're thinking of these things and all, and I don't want this to sound harsher than it inevitably will. And I don't want to discourage you. But have you ever researched your ideas for more than 30 seconds?

I think you should keep it up, and just because something exists doesn't mean you couldn't improve on it. There are some clear technological hurdles for your first idea (which are being worked on by many), and your second idea has been around for a while.

What exactly was your plan for these ideas? As far as I can tell you have no technical expertise, and I suspect you have little more than a half-baked idea and (IMO) a silly name. You don't just go sell that someone.

Are you genuinely passionate about something, or are you still just trying to get rich quick? I've got some kelp futures you might be interested in...

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Hey dude, I think it is great that you're thinking of these things and all, and I don't want this to sound harsher than it inevitably will. And I don't want to discourage you. But have you ever researched your ideas for more than 30 seconds?

I think you should keep it up, and just because something exists doesn't mean you couldn't improve on it. There are some clear technological hurdles for your first idea (which are being worked on by many), and your second idea has been around for a while.

What exactly was your plan for these ideas? As far as I can tell you have no technical expertise, and I suspect you have little more than a half-baked idea and (IMO) a silly name. You don't just go sell that someone.

Are you genuinely passionate about something, or are you still just trying to get rich quick? I've got some kelp futures you might be interested in...

Yes, I try to think through my ideas. Specifically, if it would benefit people. That's where all my ideas come from - to continue innovating and making life easier. To answer your other question.... both.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yes, I try to think through my ideas. Specifically, if it would benefit people. That's where all my ideas come from - to continue innovating and making life easier. To answer your other question.... both.

Stop trying to get rich quick.

So you think of idea A. What's your next step?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Stop trying to get rich quick.

So you think of idea A. What's your next step?

Make a logo. Done.
6TtsZjQ.jpg

After that: R&D

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm just curious what you think R&D entails. Patents come after you have something to patent.

Research and Development. Pretty self-explanatory. Right; and now that Apple has something to patent, they patented it.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Research and Development. Pretty self-explanatory.

Congratulations, you knew what the letters stood for. Is that all you know about it?

So far all I get from you is the following business model:

1) think of something totally awesome, or not as long as it makes me money
1a) make logo
2) ????
3) profit!

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Their patent is nearly the same as my idea though. Unless I could manipulate it by increasing the range. Their patent says 1 meter.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
They don't have a patent (yet). What you are looking at is a published patent application.

I don't even see signs of a first office action in public PAIR.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.