Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Is this a reaction to Surface being released?

No, the Mini. I think the drop in Apple's profit margin last quarter was mostly the Mini's fault. It's taking over Apple's sales, fast.

They're going to have to fight hard to convince people that buying a large iPad is still a good choice. The retina screen is only just barely doing the job, and they know that difference wont' last forever.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I think it will go like this:

iPad 4 16GB $399.99
iPad 5 32 GB $499.99
Etc...

I hope so, as I think this is a rip off at the current price points. I have a 16 GB iPad 2 that I do fine with, but I would like more storage, but not at these ludicrous price points.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Disappointing. I had hopes the next iPad would come with 32/64/128gb starting at $499. You can buy a 16gb microsd card for $10 and 32gb for $25.

I agree, I was all but convinced that was what was going to happen. "Apple is overpriced" jokes aside, Apple do use to realign specs like that. For example, every now and then upgrade hard drive sizes and CPU's for the identical price point. So this is actually kind of unexpected. I don't think their mobile devices should have a special treatment compared to all of their other products.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
From 16GB to 32GB = 16GB --> 100$
From 32GB to 64GB = 32GB --> 100$
From 64GB to 128GB = 64GB --> 100$

Now i am thinking 100$ for 16GB more is a little bit overpriced :eek:

I work in the produce business. Our cantaloupes are 99¢ per pound. But, if you want to buy only half of a cantaloupe, the price then becomes $1.49 per pound. You pay more for buying a lesser amount.

That same logic could apply here. Buying "less iPad" costs more per megabyte than buying "more iPad."

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No, the Mini.

They're going to have to fight hard to convince people that buying a large iPad is still a good choice. The retina screen is only just barely doing the job, and they know that difference wont' last forever.

Agreed. I don't think there is any real reaction to the Surface Pro but for the mini, yes. I think more and more people are starting to realize that retina is fantastic but not having it on the mini isn't really as big of an issue as some would think. Hanging around here will make people think retina is 100% necessary.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Why more expensive?

Moore's Law and also price per gigabyte has dropped by 50% in the last 12 months should mean the 128GB should be cheaper than the 64GB retina model when it launched.

16GB iPad is pretty useless even for a none power user. 8GB iPod is similar too.

Bigger margins. More expensive iPads / iPhones subsidize for the cheaper ones. That's why the best **value** is always getting the smallest version, that's how you get the most bang for your buck (but of course, limits yoru ability to store stuff)/

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
It would have made more sense to announce and introduce this with the next iPad...

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Cant believe people are complaining already about this meaning their won't be an early iPad 5 release.. They just released the iPad 4 a couple months ago!! And it hasn't even been a year since the iPad 3 came out. Seriously people settle down.

I'd like to take my iPad 3 in and get it upgraded with a chip swap. But that technology hasn't been innovated yet. :p

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Cant believe people are complaining already about this meaning their won't be an early iPad 5 release.. They just released the iPad 4 a couple months ago!! And it hasn't even been a year since the iPad 3 came out. Seriously people settle down.
Yeah, now THAT I didn't expect. It's as if the attention span keeps getting shorter, haha. In particular the iPads have seen an extremely rapid release schedule (to the point of people complaining), and the iPad 4 is still very fresh, even this new variant aside.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I fill my 64g ipad 3 regularly to capacity with HD movies and large apps, so more memory options are great, but not as happy about the cost jump of the larger models of course.

I think like others whenever the ipad 5 is released (I doubt it will be until the fall) they will shift the price points back down and eliminate the 16 gb model.

Until I replace my ipad (in a few years), I am considering other less elegant solutions to offload the movies to, such as those wifi equipped hard drives from seagate.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I hate to be the one to say it. But it seems like with Steve Jobs gone, there's little direction left at Apple. QC is non existent anymore, their product line is becoming stale REALLY fast, and their stock has been going south FAST! I hope Jony can breath some new life into Apple. :cool:

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
What they really need is native Bluetooth mouse/trackpad support. Then it will kill off the Surface and put a major dent in all ultrabooks, even the MacBook Air.

As much as I want the next Mac to have a touchscreen display, I don't see myself typing, then reaching for the screen to activate the magnifying glass to modify text. I have to use the mouse.

So, with the iPad, that seems to be the only way to quickly move and edit on the screen. That's the same reason why I never bothered with a hardware keyboard on the iPad.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I think it will go like this:

iPad 4 16GB $399.99
iPad 5 32 GB $499.99
Etc...

I hope so... Dropping 16GB from the iPad 5 seems about right now since apps are so much bigger because of the retina display.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I wouldn't doubt it. I'm amazed it's taken Apple this long to offer a 128 gb version. The chips are cheap enough that they couldn't have added that much cost to the manufacturing. I wonder if the extra storage takes up much more room? Apple's so obsessed with thin, maybe they had to reconfigure the circuit board.

Why amazed? if you want to sell more of a product you add improvements incrementally. That way you can add a number (Ipad 5) and the product becomes new and improved. People will buy the 128 gb version, then when the iPad 5 goes on sale, they will buy it. Marketing, gimmicks, smoke and mirrors that's what keeps customers coming back.

Last edited:

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I am just happy they didn't do a keynote for this.

I know 2 Peoria personally that use iPads instead of laptops. I did it myself for a while. I can see why they made this move. Higher capacity for local information plus iOS.

Sellewiet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
Who will pay almost a 1000 dollars for an iPad?. Seriously, what would be the profit be on that thing, maybe 300-400 dollars to make, so 600 dollars profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.