Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Some dude is selling a retrofitted iBook for $450. Here are the specs:

1024x768 display
G3 466MHz
576MB RAM
64GB SSD
DVD-RW
Internal AirPort
New battery

Also, the overall machine is in excellent cosmetic condition - practically as if it was just taken out of the box.

Would this be a decent buy in any shape or form? I obviously have no illusions of doing anything fancy, but this would be a nice addition to a collection and maybe I'd drag it out every now and then for doing some word processing.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I would never pay that much for a clamshell,even with the wild upgrades...but if it's something you really want,and you have the extra $$$...why not.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
I'm not nostalgic, I don't collect... I wouldn't pay money for a non-Intel Mac, not even sure you could pay me to take one.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If you're a hardcore collector and you don't mind to spend such money – why not. If it's really in "just out of a box" shape OFC. Original box and accessories would be nice too.
Personally I'd find more fun in modifying it myself (and I'd love to do that with my 466, but so far I can't get needed LG LCD cable).

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Doesn't sound like he actually did a whole lot of "retrofitting" to it. If it were an Intel system in a clamshell case, then it would most likely be worth that and possibly much more. But an "upgraded" G3? Probably not.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Hell no. My 4,1 Macbook, 2.1GHz, cost $399. I stick in a $120 128GB SSD, 6GB memory, even without those upgrades, it's cheaper, and will obliterate the G3 in performance in every single way you can think up.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Nope - the only things that I see there that would really bump it up in price from a standard clamshell are the new, higher-res display and the SSD. However, whereas these would make it more pleasant to use, it would still be a fairly miserable experience for daily usage. Plus, if you're looking for a collector's machine, realize that this machine is nowhere near original any longer.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
From a collector's point of view, it's worthless. Collectors want mint, stock items.

You would put an SSD in it to make it faster, not more valuable. And the upgraded screen is nice, but again, it's still a G3, which means it can't stream any video and it's going to be slow even with the SSD. It's not practical for any use other than turning it on to show friends.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I wouldn't pay $450 for ANY PowerPC Mac. For this, not more than $50 myself, $100 max for anyone else and that wouldn't be a great deal.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

1024x768 display
G3 466MHz
576MB RAM
64GB SSD
DVD-RW
Internal AirPort
New battery

Also, the overall machine is in excellent cosmetic condition - practically as if it was just taken out of the box.

Would this be a decent buy in any shape or form? I obviously have no illusions of doing anything fancy, but this would be a nice addition to a collection and maybe I'd drag it out every now and then for doing some word processing.

It depends, does it run Crysis? :p

No, seriously, no. He's trying to rip you off. Get instead a White Macbook 13.3"

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Huh?

The specs indicate it is a clamshell iBook with Firewire, but those only have an 800x600 display. I am always leery of people selling stuff and they don't know the specs.

As a piece of hardware, it would be worth the cost of shipping to some people. As a collector's item, well, as pointed out, people want it in pristine condition with all the original stuff.

It is basically worth whatever you would want to pay for it. Given it has a new battery (worth $50???) and a 64GB SSD (worth $80??) full 512 MB RAM module (worth $30???)...it isn't worth much more than the amount one could salvage from it.

FYI, some color iBooks were less common than others, so a Lime green one may be worth $50 to somebody.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I'll sell you an iBook with a 1.33 GHz G4 processor, 1.5 GB of RAM, and a 1024 x 768 display for $750. :p

But no, I wouldn't take the clam shell for half the price. I'd have no use for it, and I'm not sure it would be worth what you'd pay for it ten years down the line.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
But no, I wouldn't take the clam shell for half the price. I'd have no use for it, and I'm not sure it would be worth what you'd pay for it ten years down the line.

And that's the real problem. It doesn't have a value to collectors today, so most certainly no collectible value in 5-10 years. Which would be fine if it were at least usable today, but it's really not. It's not like taking a G4 iBook or PowerBook and doing similar upgrades. Those machines can still get quite a bit of use out of, but G3's are long past their expiration dates unless all you do is check email and do word processing. Browsing isn't going to be that great and anything with Flash/Java/ or streaming video is not going to work well if at all.

I had a G3 Pismo, great machine in it's time, but that became so outdated it really couldn't be used for any current things even a few years ago, and it was more powerful than the clamshell.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
And that's the real problem. It doesn't have a value to collectors today, so most certainly no collectible value in 5-10 years. Which would be fine if it were at least usable today, but it's really not. It's not like taking a G4 iBook or PowerBook and doing similar upgrades. Those machines can still get quite a bit of use out of, but G3's are long past their expiration dates unless all you do is check email and do word processing. Browsing isn't going to be that great and anything with Flash/Java/ or streaming video is not going to work well if at all.

I had a G3 Pismo, great machine in it's time, but that became so outdated it really couldn't be used for any current things even a few years ago, and it was more powerful than the clamshell.

I think it depends... Item is worth as much as one wants to pay for it. Collectible? It depends on what do you collecting for. My collection is not for future resale, so I don't really care how much it will be worth in 5 or more years. If one wants insanely upgraded Clamshell and has some $ to throw out - why not?

$450 is overkill, I agree. I'd prefer to mod it myself instead of buying modded one. It would cost a lot less and would give me a lot more fun.
But It's me, someone else could have different priorities.

Useability? My Clamshell serves as jukebox and light web browsing machine - yes, it's still possible with G3 optimized Camino, even in 800x600. Running 10.4.11 and OS 9. Still great machine for some OS 9 games. All depends on needs.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

1024x768 display
G3 466MHz
576MB RAM
64GB SSD
DVD-RW
Internal AirPort
New battery

I would advise against it. I purchased my iBook G4 for $149 less than 4 months ago.

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I agree that it's too expensive.

On the other hand, a fresh lime green iBook with a watch-able screen would be the baddest notebook at your local Starbucks. ;)

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I know it has its appeal, but count me among those who did not like that iBook at all. I don't know what it is about it, I like the G3 iMacs just fine, but those iBooks are not my favorites. I'd much rather rock a Pismo.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Yeah its too high,but if you really really want it and trust me ive been there you could talk him WAY WAY down or ebay has them for $100-150 and you could mod it exactly the way you want it and that is a good feeling ,for that price maybe some gold plating? platinum charger tip? diamond keys j/k

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.