Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
$929 for a 4G large-screen gameboy for kids? I don't think typical parents will ever consider this.

----------

I don't know. $929 is pretty steep for an iPad unless - without a doubt - you're going to use it a lot and in lieu of any other device.

Especially since you can get an entry level MacBook Air for $999

I agree so, 128GB for installing 100 games into your iPad seems ridiculous.

And MBA do have USB ports and run real Office, nearly identical portability as iPad, MBA is a much better deal.

JM-Prod

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
With twice the storage capacity and an unparalleled selection of over 300,000 native iPad apps, enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs.

Great, I guess this is the new MacPro?

Btw: I own an iPad and find it truly useless for anything than games. I can't multitask with it (switching apps is not multitasking) and there is no real workflow possible. I find it troubling that the CEO of Apple uses his iPad 90% of the time, as me and most people I know work much faster than an iPad can allow, even for basic task, more advanced task is not possible on an iPad at all...

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
This doesn't look good for an early release of the 5th Generation :(

I would appreciate if Apple would return to their common life cycles which we were used to (still don't quite get the early shift towards the 4th generation iPad - I mean there was no lack of power obviously...).

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I wonder how much an individual memory chip costs Apple, considering the massive quantities they order. My guess is a few dollars, with the price between the different capacities being negligible.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Great, I guess this is the new MacPro?
I find it troubling that the CEO of Apple uses his iPad 90% of the time, as me and most people I know work much faster than an iPad can allow, even for basic task, more advanced task is not possible on an iPad at all...

Your implication being that Tim Cook is a slow worker? How on earth has he managed not to get found out in the years since he began completely transforming Apple's supply chain in 1998? :rolleyes:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
now does this mean the iPhone will get the same treatment?

Been asking for that forever!

Also, Apple, why not put in 256 GB and leapfrog a little? Clearly with all what's being offered apps , movies music etc. we need the most storage we can get.

There are plenty of old farts like me who don't trust the cloud, let alone always be in reach of a connection.

While you are at it, how about a notification when out of memory/space instead of letting everything just freeze or saying could not connect /retry and users have to figure out what is going on.

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
I think it will go like this:

iPad 4 16GB $399.99
iPad 5 32 GB $499.99
Etc...

I doubt it unless Apple changes more than just the design of the iPad 5. If the screen is the same, what's the point of keeping the iPad 4 around? Instead, I could see a 16 GB iPad 5 selling for $399 and replacing the iPad 2. The iPad 2's continued existence means that it's still selling to someone. Schools? I myself sold mine and now use a 32 GB Verizon iPad mini.

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Apple reacting to the market and overpricing... This is bad.

This also means we wont see the next gen iPad anytime soon or that the isn't going to be consistent refresh cycles anymore.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
$929 for a 4G large-screen gameboy for kids? I don't think typical parents will ever consider this.

----------

I agree so, 128GB for installing 100 games into your iPad seems ridiculous.

And MBA do have USB ports and run real Office, nearly identical portability as iPad, MBA is a much better deal.

Also have to look at an MBA now.

iPad has too many drawback to work with it. It's just for consuming content and too heavy. Falls on my nose when I fall asleep:)

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Disappointing. I had hopes the next iPad would come with 32/64/128gb starting at $499. You can buy a 16gb microsd card for $10 and 32gb for $25.

Depends on the speed of the flash memory. The faster the flash memory the much more expensive it gets for the same GB. Those cheap sandisk cards work but are terribly slow. Price a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s...

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Makes you wonder why they didn't just wait until now to release the 4th gen with the extra storage (and the other updates), rather than two 'updates' 4 months apart. Then again, they were always going to look at late 2013 for the 5th gen, so 'incremental' type updates keeps the ball rolling along.

Just not very fast.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Why more expensive?

Moore's Law and also price per gigabyte has dropped by 50% in the last 12 months should mean the 128GB should be cheaper than the 64GB retina model when it launched.

16GB iPad is pretty useless even for a none power user. 8GB iPod is similar too.

This is likely a knee-jerk reaction to the iPad Mini. This is a great way to increase ASP by increasing margins. Notice how this is not available in the iPad Mini (yet).

Force people back into the regular iPad and have them pay a premium for storage they desperately want. It is a smart move IMO.

Timmy said that he wouldn't release a product for the sake of revenues..... yet he releases an iPad 4 in February 2013 with more storage at the highest premium of all iPads yet. Maybe he was right, maybe this is about raw profit and not revenue? Haha

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Depends on the speed of the flash memory. The faster the flash memory the much more expensive it gets for the same GB. Those cheap sandisk cards work but are terribly slow. Price a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s...

Retail vs actual costs is the point.

From 16 to 128 is not $300. Not even close. It's priced that way because as a consumer - if you're looking at 16gb vs 32 and see it's only $100 - you figure - why not. Or from 64 to 129 - it's only $100 more.

Has nothing to do with hard costs.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Who will pay almost a 1000 dollars for an iPad?. Seriously, what would be the profit be on that thing, maybe 300-400 dollars to make, so 600 dollars profit?

I guarantee you lots and lots of people will. Whenever you say "who on Earth would buy this?", people do. I finally accepted this after the iPhone 4S. Better to realize that people will buy something that has the Apple symbol on it for a hefty hefty premium so they can be apart of the club. This will also be the first real upgrade in anything iPad related since those that have maxed out their 64 will be hunting.

In short: lots of people will buy this.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
32 GB is $100 per 16 GB x 1.
64 GB is $67 per 16 GB x 3.
128 GB is $43 per 16 GB x 7.

Yes! which is like anything. The greater commodity you buy of something, the cheaper it becomes.

Consider the 128GB a very expensive 'value' pack for 16gb pieces.

I work in the produce business. Our cantaloupes are 99¢ per pound. But, if you want to buy only half of a cantaloupe, the price then becomes $1.49 per pound. You pay more for buying a lesser amount.

That same logic could apply here. Buying "less iPad" costs more per megabyte than buying "more iPad."

Exactly its just commerce.

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
They're going to have to fight hard to convince people that buying a large iPad is still a good choice. The retina screen is only just barely doing the job, and they know that difference wont' last forever.

Correct. I think the iPad mini taught Apple how much people care about weight and size. For many, it's more important than pixel density, especially after decades of computer monitors at much lower quality than the iPad mini. Someday when Apple can make an iPad that weighs as much as today's mini and a mini that weighs as much as today's iPhone it'll be interesting to see how sales trend. I still think the mini will win even if it still trails in the display department. The iPad might be over-serving the market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.