Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
That could still happen.... with the next iPad (iPad 5).

I think the February launch date of the 128GB model pretty much rules out an iPad refresh in March, which is fine, because the iPad 4 is already overkill for pretty much every app in the app store.

Wait til fall. :D

Not so sure about that. That they are releasing an update NOW and not March leads me to think that this is a move to push the last generation 4's and use up parts inventory since all they have to do is put in more capacity flash chips at the factory to do this update. That the back shell of the iPad5 is so complete makes me think they have most of it done. It could have the A6X in the latest smaller die size (28, 26 mm ??) which would be smaller and use less power so not as much battery would be needed.
I tend to think this release now makes it more likely we will see an event in late March or early April for the real new iPad.

Last edited:

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
absolutely ludacris margin.

yes - i have the choice to get a smaller storage capacity. But that doesn't stop me from reflecting on apple's greed every time I have to juggle content in order to keep from running out of space.

I think you're paying a big, big price apple - in terms of customer good will - for the sake of some profit.

The only time margins are ludacris is when they are margins you are not getting for your own products or services. Thank god capitalism is still alive and well in the US. I'll pass on the gov. control of what a company can sell goods for. Supply and Demand. Love it!

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
That could still happen.... with the next iPad (iPad 5).

I think the February launch date of the 128GB model pretty much rules out an iPad refresh in March, which is fine, because the iPad 4 is already overkill for pretty much every app in the app store.

Wait til fall. :D

Yes. IPad 5 will come with the A7X in the Fall. Summer iPhone 5S with A7 will be first.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Great to see the higher capacity, but it's insanity to add a more expensive model instead of bumping capacity at the same price.

Did they forget all the years where they had huge success by increasing capacity on ipods? It's not like prices for storage stopped dropping.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
absolutely ludacris margin.

yes - i have the choice to get a smaller storage capacity. But that doesn't stop me from reflecting on apple's greed every time I have to juggle content in order to keep from running out of space.

I think you're paying a big, big price apple - in terms of customer good will - for the sake of some profit.

and

Who will pay almost a 1000 dollars for an iPad?. Seriously, what would be the profit be on that thing, maybe 300-400 dollars to make, so 600 dollars profit?

See multiple "woe is me" threads from a few days ago thoroughly worried about APPL stock prices and future profitability. A great way to pump up stock prices is finding a market willing to throw even more profit your way. A good number of people will pay up for this storage. Apple will make handsome profits from it, learn they can raise prices on iDevices even higher than now with only a little more storage, and jack up margins on 128GB options for iPhone, iPad Mini and iPods soon.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Something I do not think people appreciate, this isn't an upgrade for everyone. If they sell 3-4 million of these, it will actually increase ASP for Ipad/Iphone. Same thing with the iphone. If 5-10% of buyers opt for 128 GB Model, Apples ASP actually increases. Gross Margins for Iphone and Ipad could see a 3-5% positive impact.

If the 128GB model is too much for you, don't buy it. If you can afford it and want it (as I'm sure a few million people will) why deprive yourself of the best?

My suspicion is that this move was to challenge analysts calling for apple doomsday. Additionally, it may increase ipad sales for the quarter.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
$929 for a 4G large-screen gameboy for kids? I don't think typical parents will ever consider this.

----------

I agree so, 128GB for installing 100 games into your iPad seems ridiculous.

And MBA do have USB ports and run real Office, nearly identical portability as iPad, MBA is a much better deal.
They'll find a way to increase MBA prices, just to create adequate space between "deals"

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Great to see the higher capacity, but it's insanity to add a more expensive model instead of bumping capacity at the same price.

They have to bump the price for now. Otherwise they'd annoy everyone who just bought an brand-new ipad 4, only to see it devalued $100 instantly. They'd also have flood of returns to deal with as folks try to upgrade a size for free.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Who will pay almost a 1000 dollars for an iPad?

<raises hand>

I paid $829 each for two so far. What's another hundred bucks to push the brick wall of storage capacity back twice as far?

Some of us DO make a profit off iPad use.

Insofar as some people will pay almost 1000 dollars for an iPad, why not offer the 128GB model ASAP? If you don't want it, don't buy it. Some of us want it.

dazza611

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
March - Apple TV refresh, iLife & iWork updates and iOS7 preview.
Summer - OSX 10.9, New macbook pros/air and iPhone 5S
Fall - new iPad 5 and mini with retina!!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
By the fall, I see this as a further differentiator between the iPad mini and regular iPad lines....

iPad mini w/ retina (2nd generation)
16GB - $329 ($459)
32GB - $429 ($559)
64GB - $529 ($659)

iPad (5th generation)
32GB - $499 ($629)
64GB - $599 ($729)
128GB - $699 ($829)

...with the possibility of them keeping the 16GB 4th generation iPad at $399.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I hate to be the one to say it. But it seems like with Steve Jobs gone, there's little direction left at Apple. QC is non existent anymore, their product line is becoming stale REALLY fast, and their stock has been going south FAST! I hope Jony can breath some new life into Apple. :cool:

Stale product line? What would you like to see? A raft of products in 0.5" increments between 4" and 10" made from brushed steel effect plastic to fill every conceivable niche? That would be nice.

renegad3

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
no, i used to do my homework :), I was just trying (not in the right way :() to point out that Apple considers 16 or 64 gb increases in the same pricey way

16GB is base model. $499

Double the storage to 32GB is $100 more

Four times the storage to 64GB is $200 more

Eight times the storage to 128GB is $300 more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.