Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSomebody

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Imagine a device similar in look to MacBook Air 11" with touch screen. That device would run both - Mac OS X and iOS (you choose which system to boot, and if you are already on OS X for example, you can press one button to switch to iOS in a matter of seconds) . Of course cellular, 3 usb ports, high battery life and retina display.

If you choose to run OS X you can use touchpad/mouse + keyboard. If you choose to run iOS, you can also use the touchscreen. What do you think?

Would you buy it? I definitely would!

Apple should make a device like that!

I don't want to carry 2 devices (Air + iPad). iPad is not a true computer, it is very limited, however very convenient. MB Air needs iOS/iPad functions and apps - creating such a device would be a perfect solution. I prefer to take one device which works like an iPad + Air.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You mean an updated, slimmed down, tablet PC? Yeah, that's already happening but not so much yet for Apple. When Apple does it people will **** themselves and call it revolutionary and magical!

iSomebody

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Well, I mean an Air (with keyboard and touchscreen) with OS X and iOS (OS X able to run iPad apps or just 2 separate operating systems, whatever).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If Apple went down the route they would likely just offer a MBA touch based on ARM and running IOS7 only.

Release it at 64GB for $799 so it sits between the 128gb ipad and the stock MBA.

We have heard rumours of Apple releasing the MBA with a radical new chip.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
If OSX was touch optimised, them maybe yes. But it isn't, so no.
Win 8 is a disjointed cluster ******* of an OS. If apple learns anything from MS it should be how not to do a hybrid OS.

iSomebody

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Is there any chance a device like that would be released? What are your thoughts on it?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The only practical "touch" implementation for OS X would be digital pen support for artistry and writing. Aside from that, normal capacitive touch would be even worse then it was in Windows 7. Too many of OS X visual assets are too small to reliably hit with a finger touch.

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
The only practical "touch" implementation for OS X would be digital pen support for artistry and writing. Aside from that, normal capacitive touch would be even worse then it was in Windows 7. Too many of OS X visual assets are too small to reliably hit with a finger touch.

I disagree, I think they could sell it with a stylus, and it would work just fine.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
You mean an updated, slimmed down, tablet PC? Yeah, that's already happening but not so much yet for Apple. When Apple does it people will **** themselves and call it revolutionary and magical!

Cheer up :)

Only reason people say that is that Apple will do it right.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I disagree, I think they could sell it with a stylus, and it would work just fine.

You disagree and yet a stylus is a digital pen :rolleyes:

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009

I disagree as well, because I'm an accurate pointer and hit small links on my iPad all the time. But I also hold it quite differently than I would an Air. In this theoretical product, does the screen detach when in iOS? Seems the magnets could help quickly attach or detach the iPad/screen to a keyboard base.

iSomebody

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I disagree as well, because I'm an accurate pointer and hit small links on my iPad all the time. But I also hold it quite differently than I would an Air. In this theoretical product, does the screen detach when in iOS? Seems the magnets could help quickly attach or detach the iPad/screen to a keyboard base.

I was thinking about something like sliding the screen on the keyboard, so the screen is on the top of the keyboard and the keyboard is hidden (it would look almost like an iPad then). So no detach option.

iSomebody

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
To have a decent keyboard it would be considerably thicker.
I think it would be about twice as thick as the iPad mini, which would still be nice. About as thick as the air anyway. I don't mind a few milimeters more in thickness if it improves the quality of the product and battery life.

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
I think it would be about twice as thick as the iPad mini, which would still be nice. About as thick as the air anyway. I don't mind a few milimeters more in thickness if it improves the quality of the product and battery life.

Also thicker usually means more durable :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.