Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced the launch of its latest Office software suite, updating its applications for Windows machines to new 2013 versions and launching a new Office 365 subscription option.

While the $99-per-year Office 365 option allows for installation on up to five computers, Mac users will continue to receive Office 2011 applications until an updated version of Office for Mac becomes available. Office for Mac versions typically follow about 12-18 months behind their Windows counterparts.
Office 365 Home Premium is available in 162 markets in 21 languages and includes the following:

- The latest and most complete set of Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher and Access

- One license for the entire household to use Office on up to five devices, including Windows tablets, PCs or Macs, and Office on Demand available from any Internet-connected PC

- An additional 20 GB of SkyDrive cloud storage, nearly three times the amount available with a free SkyDrive account

- 60 free Skype world calling minutes per month to call mobile phones, landlines or PCs around the world

- Future upgrades, so you always use the latest time-saving technology
office-3651.png
Office 365 Home Premium is priced at $9.99 per month or $99 per year, while college and university students, faculty, and staff are eligible for Office 365 University priced at $79.99 for a four-year subscription.

Aside from the Office 365 subscription plans, Windows users are also offered the option of standalone Office 2013 packages including Office Home & Student ($139.99), Office Home & Business ($219.99), and Office Professional ($399.99). There are no ongoing costs with the standalone installations, and a version of Office typically remains current for three years.

Office for Mac 2011 also remains available as a standalone purchase, and users who purchase Office 2011 for Mac between October 19, 2012 and April 30, 2013 can shift over to a one-year Office 365 subscription free of charge.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches Office 365 Subscriptions Alongside Office 2013, But Macs Still Stuck on Office 2011

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Who needs to keep their Office updated anyway? They will just have the same functions, just an different UI:p

The Office at my workplace's PC is still 2003:p:p:p

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
As a home user I would not spend $99/year to keep my Office subscription. I'd move to iWork at that point. I paid the home price for 2011 when it came out and intend to keep using it.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
As a home user I would not spend $99/year to keep my Office subscription. I'd move to iWork at that point. I paid the home price for 2011 when it came out and intend to keep using it.

Open Office for Mac would be a nice choice too, at least it's free.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Anyone who thinks iWork or any other office replacement is a viable alternative to MS Office simply isn't a power user of excel. That doesn't absolve MS of responsibility though, since the Mac version of Excel is awful.

MS is smart in this case. They know Excel is essentially required in business and keep the Mac version bad enough that people won't switch.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
You still get the option to buy Office outright, but you don't get any of the extras such as extra Skydrive space, skype minutes, or future updates ( only point updates ).

If you use Office on a regular basis then the $99 subscription fee could be good value. Otherwise you'll probably better off using something else, or buy the software outright as before.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Who needs to keep their Office updated anyway? They will just have the same functions, just an different UI:p

Pretty much, the only cool advantage I see with 2013 is Skydrive integration. The only reason I got Office 2013 for Windows was because it was free from my school. Plus, I was able to get it last week.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004

My workplace of over 110,000 employees still uses Office 2003 and XP.
If it ain't broke...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Anyone who thinks iWork or any other office replacement is a viable alternative to MS Office simply isn't a power user of excel. That doesn't absolve MS of responsibility though, since the Mac version of Excel is awful.

MS is smart in this case. They know Excel is essentially required in business and keep the Mac version bad enough that people won't switch.

A bigger issue is people use Excel as a database. Its not a database!

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Desperate Microsoft..

The fact is that Office is a mature product; the only advantage I see in paying a subscription is for the cloud storage and there are already plenty of other options. I currently sync all my stuff through DropBox, which works for me across platforms... Why would I want to pay for office again?

The last upgrade to 2011, was justifiable on the basis that Microsoft had put back Visual Basic work-flows, something that should never have been taken away from the pervious version!

Is this a case of Microsoft loosing the plot? again?

I think the Office 365 option is probable good for corporate entities where managing costs are important, but for hime users, students etc, why bother?

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
To me it feels like Microsoft is throwing away money by not offering an iPad version.

I wouldn't need it, but I'm sure there are plenty of business customers who would pay for a native version.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
This

The Mac Version of Excel is a nightmare...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I think the Office 365 option is probable good for corporate entities where managing costs are important, but for hime users, students etc, why bother?

Its a good deal for students since they get a subscription lasting 4 years. Basically their full university term.

To me it feels like Microsoft is throwing away money by not offering an iPad version.
Microsoft should release Office on microsoft tablets while forgoing the iPad. Office on windows 8 for mobile devices would encourage businesses back to microsoft platform and away from Apple.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Tried out the Office 2013 consumer preview. I liked it, it is certainly a step up from 2010, especially the cloud features, but not worth the price. Regretfully, Office is Office and many people are still happy with Office 2003.

I was hoping for a lower price with Office 2013, but it looks like its actually higher than Office 2010 was. So I'll be sticking with 2010. :)

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
I disagree, numbers for iPad would push them out, I think. I also would say Numbers is a good enough alternative for Excel, but it shouldn't be used with Excel.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Microsoft's behavior here is really quite poor.

Consider the fact that Microsoft cut its teeth on point and click, object oriented computing on the Macintosh back in the early days when Bill and Steve were best friends.

Now this is the way they treat paying customers? Yes, if you use a Mac.

MS stop crippling Office for the Mac. Keep it updated along with your Windows counterpart. After all you guys certainly know the Mac inside out. There is no excuse.

Of course we should be grateful that MS deigns to give us Mac users anything. We're just a tiny portion of their business. And don't get me started on the non-existent iPad version of Office :rolleyes:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Subscriptions!

Begun the cloud subscriptions have.

I've been using the trial for a while now and it seems like a watered down version of office that has a tablet interface focus to it.

Like Windows 8, I think I am going to skip this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.