Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've now used it a total of 3 times. I used it this weekend when I didn't want to haul my fat ass up 6 steps to get my phone off the bed. /shrug
I use what I use.

litfuel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Question: Why does Apple not offer a version without back-facing camera? I have never talked to anybody about it who has ever used this camera. It seems a complete waste of resources. I'd buy a $5 cheaper iPad without this camera without hesitation.

I also wonder this: how much do the 16 GB extra in the 32 GB storage version cost Apple compared to that camera? Most people I know (myself included) would much prefer having getting that upgrade for free in return for losing the camera.

There surely must be a reason why Apple is still putting the camera in there I fail to see. Please enlighten me.

bull, i use it all the time, I have chase as my bank and there is an app that lets me scan pics using the rear camera. I also use it to take quick pics and then upload them on safari. Think twice before making comments just because YOU don't use something.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Its also used for augmented reality, taking photos of things for the Ebay app, QR codes, photos of documents, etc etc. Just because YOU don't use it, doesn't mean it its useless.

They need to start teaching people about opinions in schools and how they aren't facts.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
One day I was out on a job site. I notice a poor job done on some of the construction and installation of wiring throughout the building.

I took pictures, made annotations, and emailed the files to business owner with that rear facing camera on my iPad mini.

I could have done the same thing on my iPhone but it is much easier on that bigger screen.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Is don't use it a lot, and it isn't my main camera for shooting video footage or photographs, but I use it now and then when my camera isn't brought with me, but I do use it quite often during Facetime and Skype, it's very handy to have that feature, so you don't have to turn the device to show someone or something, that's awkward because when you turn the device you don't see the screen, thus cannot aim! :)

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The camera is also not for me, but it's ridiculous to expect Apple to create yet more SKUs for models without cameras. There are lots of professionals who benefit from the camera, for example, those in the construction trades. It greatly simplifies the field reporting process. And the last time I had a home inspection the inspector walked around with a clipboard and a camera, then copied went to his car to type out a report on his laptop (after transferring photos from his camera) and printed it on the spot. That process can be streamlined with an iPad. So it may not be for all, but it's certainly not without its uses.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
as others have already pointed out, the camera is very useful for facetiming and when an impromptu photo is needed. i don't have an iphone, but have a dedicated camera but i rarely take that with me on an every day basis. in the last 3 months i've used the ipad camera to take photos of a defective product to send to customer service and yesterday, i needed to take some snapshots of an error message on an LED panel to send to tech support.

are you serious that you'd rather buy an camera-less ipad if it meant saving $5?! sounds penny-wise and pound-foolish - more and more apps are leveraging the camera for other uses. don't be so quick to write-off a feature that you might actually use down the road.

Question: Why does Apple not offer a version without back-facing camera? I have never talked to anybody about it who has ever used this camera. It seems a complete waste of resources. I'd buy a $5 cheaper iPad without this camera without hesitation.

I also wonder this: how much do the 16 GB extra in the 32 GB storage version cost Apple compared to that camera? Most people I know (myself included) would much prefer having getting that upgrade for free in return for losing the camera.

There surely must be a reason why Apple is still putting the camera in there I fail to see. Please enlighten me.

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
I use it a lot, for ebay/QR as well as some other apps. It's also very useful, for photocopying a document, to have on a bigger screen.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Question: Why does Apple not offer a version without back-facing camera? I have never talked to anybody about it who has ever used this camera. It seems a complete waste of resources.
I use it all the time for sharing stuff on paper with others and adding things to presentations. Students use it to share notes and doodles, other people use it when they randomly need a camera.

I'd buy a $5 cheaper iPad without this camera without hesitation.
It would still be priced the same without a camera.

How much more does a 32 GB chip cost compared to a 16 GB one? Virtually nothing. You seem to be under the impression that the market price is decided from the cost of the raw parts, but that is not how the real world works. Apple would price the 32 GB a hundred bucks higher even if the 32 GB chip was cheaper than the 16 GB chip.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Apples not real big on giving you many options on their iOS devices. They really shook it up a bit by giving the touch more color options. I think you are in the vast minority of people that would choose a camera-less iPad to save $5. There are a lot of apps that would be useless without that camera, so there would be fragmentation, and we all know how Apple feels about fragmentation.

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
It does take good pictures, and it's easy to keep stable. Plus you can use PS Elements directly, which is nice.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I use mine primarily for skype or facetime, to show stuff to people that I am talking to. Also, if that is all I have and I need to take a pic, I do not give an F what anyone thinks about how I look using it as such. I love having the option.

Last edited:

Skygunner27

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
Retarded.....

I own a D800, and find myself using the iPad's rear camera often. Especially in iMessage.

I could care less what someone else thinks when I use it to take pics. I also have a iPhone 5, I find that my iPad 4's rear camera handles low-light situations better than my iPhone 5's rear camera.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. I've mostly seen them at spring training games, and I quietly wish a foul ball hit right at the idiots holding their iPads in the air.

I've seen people hold them up during conferences, record piano recitals, etc.

I guess the best camera is what you have with you, but man...

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I use my iPad camera a LOT.

My iPad is mainly a work tool. As an engineer, I use it almost daily to take pictures.
  • I use it to take pictures of whiteboard sketches and notes during meetings.
  • I take photos of large drawings so I can look at them while on the computer without having to have my entire sek taken up by architectural prints.
  • I can take photos while on a building walk through & then show them to clients/ contractors on site (ever take a cell phone pic, or use a point & shoot camera LCD to show a group of 4-5 construction workers photos? A 9.7" screen works great for this.)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. I've mostly seen them at spring training games, and I quietly wish a foul ball hit right at the idiots holding their iPads in the air.

I've seen people hold them up during conferences, record piano recitals, etc.

I guess the best camera is what you have with you, but man...

It must suck being that concerned about what other people think of you.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I was watching the Pro Bowl last night, and during one of the interviews there was a fan in the background that lifted up her iPad to take a picture.

I wouldn't use it, but other people do.

Haha. I was at the Pro Bowl and the woman in front of me had her full size Ipad taking pictures, and as if the ipad wasn't big enough she was holding it up with the case draping down so it basically covered the size of two ipads. I almost grabbed the damn thing and tossed it on the field, but then I realized I was watching the Pro Bowl and it wasn't very interesting:)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Haha. I was at the Pro Bowl and the woman in front of me had her full size Ipad taking pictures, and as if the ipad wasn't big enough she was holding it up with the case draping down so it basically covered the size of two ipads. I almost grabbed the damn thing and tossed it on the field, but then I realized I was watching the Pro Bowl and it wasn't very interesting:)

So your default would have been violence instead of just talking to her?

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Yes I agree its quite usless, folks just use it because its there.

It is very useful, whether or not people just use it because it is there, it is still useful. On a side note, people trying to use them at events is very irritating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.