Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Big whoop.

Wouldn't spend 100 dollars to upgrade from Office '08. Software doesn't need to always be the latest and greatest - if it still works, leave it.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Microsoft should release Office on microsoft tablets while forgoing the iPad. Office on windows 8 for mobile devices would encourage businesses back to microsoft platform and away from Apple.

This is the problem with the thinking at Microsoft under Ballmer.

Microsoft is a software company. The iPad is a software platform that could be making them millions. iPad/iOS sales could easily surpass Mac sales for Microsoft.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009

Microsoft is a software company. The iPad is a software platform that could be making them millions. iPad/iOS sales could easily surpass Mac sales for Microsoft.

They are keeping Office for tablets for their Surface RT (ARM) tablets.
Office for Surface RT doesn't have even Outlook or any other native email clients.
They keeping it for Surface Pro.

All of this is a big mistake, while an understandable try to leverage Office for selling Windows platform.
But that just makes Office obsolete day by day.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I agree. They could be making millions.

If Microsoft can make Windows RT (which comes with a bundled, so price included, version Office ) work they will make millions more.

Between the two it is a better bet. In the Apple App store it couldn't be "Office". They'd had to debundle the applications. That dilutes much of the leverage that Office (a bundled suite) has. The iOS App store is a "race to the bottom" application space. They could make some money there but it more likely would negatively impact Office pricing elsewhere also. That would be a net loss of millions.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I don't think this is terribly bad in theory. Things like the Skype minutes every month could make it appealing.

That said, the price is just too high. Regular home users don't need a new version of Office enough to pay $100 a year for it.

The biggest problem with Office has always been that it has too many features. The reason they did the whole ribbon redesign for 2007 was that 7/8 of the top 10 requested features were actually already in Office 2003 - people just didn't know how to get to it or use it!

While I liked the original ribbon design, lots of people didn't. They've since borked it out in to something worse, and at the same time gone back to that horrible fascination they have with Neptune-era "Activity Center" panels:

ac_preview_04_activewin.gif

office21.jpg

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Microsoft should release Office on microsoft tablets while forgoing the iPad. Office on windows 8 for mobile devices would encourage businesses back to microsoft platform and away from Apple.

And this type of post brings me closer to understanding this MR is no longer a place for Apple enthusiasts, just a dumping ground for Apple haters to enjoy. :rolleyes:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Office 2011 was an awesome update that made the Mac version of Office decent. I can live without 2013.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
The boxes for Office 2011 for Mac say that you can get a free upgrade to the next version.

Therefore, the 2013 edition is coming soon.

Microsoft also sells boxes at Apple now that don't come with CDs.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Pages

I can't complain about Microsoft Windows being a few years behind if Apple is still on Pages '09, Numbers '09, Keynote '09.

Are we really going to go five years without a real upgrade, Apple? Did you reassign all your OSX apps coders, or what?

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Me-thinks

You still get the option to buy Office outright, but you don't get any of the extras such as extra Skydrive space, skype minutes, or future updates ( only point updates ).

If you use Office on a regular basis then the $99 subscription fee could be good value. Otherwise you'll probably better off using something else, or buy the software outright as before.

I wonder if the single payment option is transitory, until they get enough of a customer base, then ditch it?

I think Microsoft is way off pitch here?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Microsoft would make far more money if customers started buying Surface instead of iPad. More income through hardware and more income through software. Microsoft would be making more than mere 'millions'.

Business customer is the more stable cash cow than consumers. Get them locked in to your own mobile hardware and software ( again ).

I wonder if the single payment option is transitory, until they get enough of a customer base, then ditch it?

Probably, in the longer term. Subscription software is the future. People won't be buying software outright forever. Software will be seen as a [subscription] service - and subscriptions also reduces piracy - makes it more difficult to hack.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
No they aren't. They will still sell you a hard copy.

Well this is from the verge

However, there's a big change this time: in the US, UK, and other developed markets, those boxed copies won't include a DVD of the software. Microsoft is simply boxing up product codes in familiar packaging for Office 2013 and Office 365, allowing users to go online to download the software. Some emerging markets will still offer DVD versions, but the majority of users will be downloading Office this time around.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Anyone who thinks iWork or any other office replacement is a viable alternative to MS Office simply isn't a power user of excel. That doesn't absolve MS of responsibility though, since the Mac version of Excel is awful.

MS is smart in this case. They know Excel is essentially required in business and keep the Mac version bad enough that people won't switch.

Unless you use excel heavily, what else does office really offer?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Nearly £100 a year is nowhere near being reasonable for any amount of Microsoft software. The use of Word and Excel or whatever is not worth that and I doubt home users would pay that.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
It's been all downhill from Office 2003 anyway. No loss.

No, '04 is just '03 but a little better and with more clipart.

----------

Anyone who thinks iWork or any other office replacement is a viable alternative to MS Office simply isn't a power user of excel. That doesn't absolve MS of responsibility though, since the Mac version of Excel is awful.

MS is smart in this case. They know Excel is essentially required in business and keep the Mac version bad enough that people won't switch.

How is the Mac version of Excel worse? They're the same thing.
Also, Pages is better than Word, Keynote MUCH better than PP, and Numbers much worse than Excel. I just use iWork and Excel.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

I would disagree with you since combining Numbers and LibreOffice I have been able to do everything that I have ever done with Microsoft and have saved money in the process.

And the question I have here is why is it necessary to purchase Office anymore when there are not only other alternatives, but also just signing up for a free outlook.com account gets you access to SkyDrive and the ability to create a spreadsheet, word document, powerpoint presentation, or use one note? Sure, they're web apps, but you can save them to the cloud or even download them to your computer and open them with other apps. I even create documents in LibreOffice and can upload those to SkyDrive and the formatting is not changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.