Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
This is why I hate apple sometimes too. I changed FaceTime on over cellular in my setting when there was this window a couple of months ago. I had use it on LTE a couple of times and it worked perfectly. Well I updated my iPhone to 6.1 and guess what it changed back to off and want go back on. I have a real problem with apple working with AT&T to screw over customers.

A couple of groups a few months back went to the FCC and protested against the fact that AT&T was not letting unlimited users use FaceTime over cellular, but the people that had limited plans could. I guess to smooth things over there was a day or two in dec that AT&T let unlimited customers turn it on. I have kept mine on until today when I guess apple and AT&T got together to stop it. Apple can kiss my butt just as much as AT&T can. They both suck!

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I don't recall FaceTime being available to customers with unlimited. Sounds more of an AT&T problem then Apple.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Um, if you did some basic research, you would know blocking Facetime over cellular is all AT&T's fault.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/facetime-limited-data-att/

No I did I have an iPhone 5 and I am unlimited data customer. It dec there was an article on gizmodo that said they were allowing customers to turn it on. I did and I made a call over FaceTime in the car on sat. It worked without a fail. So you are wrong and did not do your research.

Here is the one quote from the article

"This brought plenty of criticism from consumer advocacy groups like Free Press, Public Knowledge and New America Foundation. These groups claimed that AT&T’s actions violated net neutrality laws by forcing their customers into plans with fewer options and less data."

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
No I did I have an iPhone 5 and I am unlimited data customer. It dec there was an article on gizmodo that said they were allowing customers to turn it on. I did and I made a call over FaceTime in the car on sat. It worked without a fail. So you are wrong and did not do your research.

"This brought plenty of criticism from consumer advocacy groups like Free Press, Public Knowledge and New America Foundation. These groups claimed that AT&T’s actions violated net neutrality laws by forcing their customers into plans with fewer options and less data."

Hi OP

I was the original source for the Giz and other tech site article on FT for unlimited customers.

For a limited time, likely due to an internal glitch, ATT was allowing Unlimited users to enable FT by restarting their phones. Once the word got out, it was shut down. Total time this was allowed was about 3 days.

Sorry, ATT fixed the glitch. We can only hope they one day allow it again.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Hi OP

I was the original source for the Giz and other tech site article on FT for unlimited customers.

For a limited time, likely due to an internal glitch, ATT was allowing Unlimited users to enable FT by restarting their phones. Once the word got out, it was shut down. Total time this was allowed was about 3 days.

Sorry, ATT fixed the glitch. We can only hope they one day allow it again.

Yea I was just looking for the article about you. I found it for those that don't believe me. http://gizmodo.com/5962417/is-att-letting-you-use-facetime-over-cellular

Also kre62 I was using it as of yesterday until Apple sent out 6.1 and it want work anymore. Do you think apple had something todo with that as well? I read an article just now that said free press, public knowledge, and new American foundation we still going after AT&T. At this point they have pulled the threat to send a case the the FCC, but this was the comment they made.

"Even though unlimited plans are no longer available for new customers, AT&T sets itself apart from some of its competitors by allowing its customers who upgrade their phones to keep those plans. However, this does not grant it license to unlawfully prevent those customers from using certain applications--especially given that AT&T's own testing seems to have shown that FaceTime does not have a significant network impact.

"Until communications markets are truly competitive, users need to closely monitor carriers to prevent consumer-unfriendly actions. As AT&T's continued partial blocking of FaceTime, and recent revelations about its exemption of its own traffic from wired data caps shows, the temptation and means to violate net neutrality and try to pick and choose online winners and losers is always present."

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yea I was just looking for the article about you. I found it for those that don't believe me. http://gizmodo.com/5962417/is-att-letting-you-use-facetime-over-cellular

Also kre62 I was using it as of yesterday until Apple sent out 6.1 and it want work anymore. Do you think apple had something todo with that as well? I read an article just now that said free press, public knowledge, and new American foundation we still going after AT&T. At this point they have pulled the threat to send a case the the FCC, but this was the comment they made.

"Even though unlimited plans are no longer available for new customers, AT&T sets itself apart from some of its competitors by allowing its customers who upgrade their phones to keep those plans. However, this does not grant it license to unlawfully prevent those customers from using certain applications--especially given that AT&T's own testing seems to have shown that FaceTime does not have a significant network impact.

"Until communications markets are truly competitive, users need to closely monitor carriers to prevent consumer-unfriendly actions. As AT&T's continued partial blocking of FaceTime, and recent revelations about its exemption of its own traffic from wired data caps shows, the temptation and means to violate net neutrality and try to pick and choose online winners and losers is always present."

None of this is apple's fault. This is strictly a carrier issue and almost strictly a US carrier issue. Most of our non American friends get full use of the phones features without paying extra for tethering or FaceTime over cellular.

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
None of this is apple's fault. This is strictly a carrier issue and almost strictly a US carrier issue. Most of our non American friends get full use of the phones features with paying extra for tethering or FaceTime over cellular.

Welcome to America, Land of the Free... oh wait?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
None of this is apple's fault. This is strictly a carrier issue and almost strictly a US carrier issue. Most of our non American friends get full use of the phones features with paying extra for tethering or FaceTime over cellular.

Oh ok. Well Verizon allows there unlimited computers to use it. AT&T is junk. Well I guess I should say any American carrier is junk

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Most likely you hadn't restarted your phone since then, until you installed 6.1. Once the phone boots up it asks for auth. If it gets it, the switch stays on. If you enable airplane mode or restart the phone, it tries to reauth. So you apparently go long amounts of time without restarting your phone.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York

And at what point did Apple have anything to do with AT&T's decision to block Facetime over cellular? Your post was all about arbitrarily blaming Apple.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
This is why I hate apple sometimes too. I changed FaceTime on over cellular in my setting when there was this window a couple of months ago. I had use it on LTE a couple of times and it worked perfectly. Well I updated my iPhone to 6.1 and guess what it changed back to off and want go back on. I have a real problem with apple working with AT&T to screw over customers.

A couple of groups a few months back went to the FCC and protested against the fact that AT&T was not letting unlimited users use FaceTime over cellular, but the people that had limited plans could. I guess to smooth things over there was a day or two in dec that AT&T let unlimited customers turn it on. I have kept mine on until today when I guess apple and AT&T got together to stop it. Apple can kiss my butt just as much as AT&T can. They both suck!

All ATT's fault, i can do unlimited facetime over my unlimted LTE data on Verizon

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Most likely you hadn't restarted your phone since then, until you installed 6.1. Once the phone boots up it asks for auth. If it gets it, the switch stays on. If you enable airplane mode or restart the phone, it tries to reauth. So you apparently go long amounts of time without restarting your phone.

Oh no I restart my phone every week. I completely power it down. That is why I think apple did something with 6.1

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Oh no I restart my phone every week. I completely power it down. That is why I think apple did something with 6.1

You're wrong. Just stop being wrong. Sit there in your wrongness and be wrong. It's not Apple's fault AT&T is a bag of dicks.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
All the people that complain about cell service is not the fault of Apple. Apple made the statement that Facetime over cellular will be available. It is Verizon, Sprint and AT&T who states the rules. AT&T have made the statement that facetime is know available to everyone on a data plan excluding unlimited for some unknown reason. This is the reason i left AT&T and joined Verizon. Free facetime over cellular, changed my 200 texts to unlimited for no extra charge & 2GB of data (which i use Wi-Fi 100% of the time). Perfection

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
For me it was never on to begin with.
Im on unlimited data with my i5 but could never facetime away from wifi.
I guess it was a glitch and only worked for some people on AT&T's unlimited data plan.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
...Apple has a say in everything about the iPhone. They can do what they want to...

And you know that because you have access to the contract between Apple & AT&T?
Yeah, right!
What are you, about 14? Do you know anything at all about the way businesses like Apple and AT&T (for example) do business? Have you not read the many confirmed (and even more rumored) stories indicating the give and take between Apple and AT&T over feature sets? Believe me, if you do any research about this at all, you will realize how ridiculously naive your comments are.
I'm no Apple apologist who defends them when they screw up. But in this circumstance, your beef is with the carrier, not Apple.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I was able to do Facetime on my unlimited plan with AT&T for about a week back in late November...it hasn't worked since then...I agree it was a glitch and not something Apple changed...AT&T controls what happens on their network

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
And you know that because you have access to the contract between Apple & AT&T?
Yeah, right!
What are you, about 14? Do you know anything at all about the way businesses like Apple and AT&T (for example) do business? Have you not read the many confirmed (and even more rumored) stories indicating the give and take between Apple and AT&T over feature sets? Believe me, if you do any research about this at all, you will realize how ridiculously naive your comments are.
I'm no Apple apologist who defends them when they screw up. But in this circumstance, your beef is with the carrier, not Apple.

Oh yea I am so wrong about this. You know what the carriers do to get the iphone? How about you do your research. You want to know why Tmobile does not have the iphone? There CEO came out and said they would have to give up too much to get it. Now I guess they think it is worth it because they are getting it soon.

Why do you think it took so long for Verizon and Sprint to get the iphone. AT&T was the only company that gave in to apple and there demands. How about you go research some of Apples demands for the iPhone and tell me what you find. Apple has a say whether you want to believe it or not. You know how much money they bring a carrier when they sign on? That is why they have a say.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Review of the thread indicates that its better to leave it locked given the type of responses provided and will continue to garner

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.