Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
England
Hi Guys

i have a 32GB iPhone 4S which has just gone out of warranty (About 2 weeks ago)

It started to feel sluggish and i had so much rubbish on there i decided to restore the phone and set it up as new a new iPhone.

Worked fine added my WiFi settings and the apps,music i wanted and it felt snappy again.

then i noticed that overtime i come home, it wasn't automatically connecting to the WiFi? Also if im home it stays connected for a few hours or so then loses the WiFi connection and i have to enter my password to reconnect again!

Also tried another restore but that didnt do anything either :mad:

Any other fixes? my iPad seems fine on the WiFi, and same goes for my girlfriends iPhone/iPad.

Many Thanks! ;)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Even with the other devices seeming OK, when was the last time you power cycled your router? When things get flakey for me I reboot the router and phone.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Do you have "connect to wi-fi networks" on yes? This is on no as the default in iOS 6.

If so, the next time you wake your phone up, if you are not on wi-fi, try and open a web page in safari and you will get the "connect to your network" box to pop up. Do this and you should never have the problem again.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
England
Do you have "connect to wi-fi networks" on yes? This is on no as the default in iOS 6.

If so, the next time you wake your phone up, if you are not on wi-fi, try and open a web page in safari and you will get the "connect to your network" box to pop up. Do this and you should never have the problem again.

Thanks for the reply.

I cant seem to find the "Connect to WiFi networks option"

Under the WiFi settings i do have "Ask to join networks and that one is switched off, so i presume you mean that one?

Why do Apple feel the need to play around with WiFi settings is beyond me though. :confused:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Under the WiFi settings i do have "Ask to join networks and that one is switched off, so i presume you mean that one?

Why do Apple feel the need to play around with WiFi settings is beyond me though. :confused:

Yes, that's the one. Sorry, I was just going by memory and wasn't actually looking at the phone.

Just change that to yes and follow the instructions that I gave you earlier and you shouldn't have the problem anymore.

ohalixrose

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
If it's still under warranty and you have an Apple store nearby, I would take it to them. They can run diag. on it and replace the phone if it fails (it's a good idea to have it backed up to iTunes/iCloud before you go in). If it's out of warranty, Apple/Apple's authorized service centers can replace it for $199.

It's interesting to me that you didn't have issues until you did the restore.. Did it update iOS? Also, did you erase all content and settings from the phone's menu, plug into iTunes and select restore, or did you put the phone into recovery mode prior to?
:confused:

Edit: Also, switching Ask to join networks to yes will do nothing but prompt you to connect, if you're wanting it to automatically connect up like it should, keep that switched to off.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Hi Guys

Any other fixes? my iPad seems fine on the WiFi, and same goes for my girlfriends iPhone/iPad.

Many Thanks! ;)

Have you tried deleting all the network settings and re-entering from scratch? When the usual suspects aren't the cause, sometimes it's easier to go clean-slate than spend hours tracking down some obscure little conflict.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
England
If it's still under warranty and you have an Apple store nearby, I would take it to them. They can run diag. on it and replace the phone if it fails (it's a good idea to have it backed up to iTunes/iCloud before you go in). If it's out of warranty, Apple/Apple's authorized service centers can replace it for $199.

It's interesting to me that you didn't have issues until you did the restore.. Did it update iOS? Also, did you erase all content and settings from the phone's menu, plug into iTunes and select restore, or did you put the phone into recovery mode prior to?
:confused:

Edit: Also, switching Ask to join networks to yes will do nothing but prompt you to connect, if you're wanting it to automatically connect up like it should, keep that switched to off.

Its out of warranty, and i restored iPhone and set it up as a "New iPhone" and it already had the latest version of iOS before and after the restore.

Just updated to 6.1 so hopefully that will fix the problem.

Also, i did reset network settings, that didnt seem to work either.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Its out of warranty, and i restored iPhone and set it up as a "New iPhone" and it already had the latest version of iOS before and after the restore.

Just updated to 6.1 so hopefully that will fix the problem.

Also, i did reset network settings, that didnt seem to work either.

Just do what I told you to do and it will fix it. Don't worry about the other stuff.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
England
Just tried that and turned my phone off and back on, and it seems to be working at the moment.

6.1 didnt fix it by the way

Ok it seems to work, as its reconnected to my home network as i walked threw the door, but its annoying that everytime i open an app at work etc, i keep getting asked to connect to a wifi network.

Is this really the only fix?

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Ok it seems to work, as its reconnected to my home network as i walked threw the door, but its annoying that everytime i open an app at work etc, i keep getting asked to connect to a wifi network.

Is this really the only fix?

Just do the process that I told you earlier at work and you won't have the problem anymore.

You have always had to connect to a new wifi network at least once so your phone will remember it. It's always been this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.