Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WealthyBigPenis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
So I just got hold of my iPad mini 16GB. I wanted to live with it for a week before deciding if I'm going to splurge on the 64gb. Let me say, after just 20 minutes of usage, I love it! I consider myself to have very good eye sight and the opticians test it at 20/10 and I hardly find it's non-retina-e-ness a problem. It's so bloody thin!! I will most definitely be returning it for a 64gb version now which I'll use to tide me over till the iPad Mini Retina comes out this autumn period or whenever it does come out.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I just got mine last night too! I agree! The thinness surprised me more than anything. And it did seem light enough to hold it in bed, which will be its primary use for me. I agree, the non-retina didn't seem to be enough of an issue to return it. If I get closer than 12 inches or so yes I can see pixels, but it's not like I remember the iPhone 3GS screen being or the iPad 2 screen- it's kind of somewhere in-between those and the retina. Congrats! I do think I will really like using this, seemed fairly easy to type on too. Oh, and the dual speakers sounded really good, surprisingly good.

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
Another convert here today too, from iPad 1 - 3 - mini. It was a rash decision today but one I stand by with. I'm a female though, the idea of it in my handbag more often excites me lol:D

In reality though its far more user friendly for me in terms of its portability. The 3 was gathering dust because of its size and weight.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I just got the wifi model, because it's probably not going to leave the house, or if so, very rarely. So it will have a wifi signal almost 100% of the time. But I know I'm probably in the minority.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
My Mini is wifi only as well. I have never used the mobile on our iPad2. I can tether from my phone if needed for the mini.

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I always go for wi fi on ipads, i use Personal Hotspot from my iPhone 5 on an unlimited data plan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have the wifi version and I'm very happy. I was contemplating the LTE flavor but at this point any internet needs can be satisfied by creating a hotspot with my iPhone.

litfuel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
why didn't you just buy the 64 in the first place? you could of returned it if you didn't like it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So, i am currently evaluating the Mini (just got it today) and the 4 for work, and i have to say that both have their plus points. Have been using the mini extensively for about 10 hours so far.

Mini:

Pros
- it is way lighter. didn't think it would be a big difference, but it is. you barely even notice it
- the screen is "good enough". no its not quite retina, but it does everything you need it to do as a personal organiser, and is just big enough to read email and browse comfortably on, yet can be held/carried in one hand easily

Cons
- its not retina (but it's not "bad")
- virtual keyboard is a bit small even in landscape

iPad 4
Pros
- screen
- keyboard

Cons
- weight

I know this will sound a bit "first world problem".... but the mini really is a better portable tablet. I was skeptical, but have both here and have used both today, and I see a market for both.

To those who say the mini is overpriced, and for a little bit more you could have a 4 - its not the point. the 4 is heavy and more unwieldy to carry.

There really is a big difference.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
why didn't you just buy the 64 in the first place? you could of returned it if you didn't like it.

So yet one more device can go to the refurbished pile and the rest of us pay more for new items because the company prices accordingly.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
So, i am currently evaluating the Mini (just got it today) and the 4 for work, and i have to say that both have their plus points. Have been using the mini extensively for about 10 hours so far.

Mini:

Pros
- it is way lighter. didn't think it would be a big difference, but it is. you barely even notice it
- the screen is "good enough". no its not quite retina, but it does everything you need it to do as a personal organiser, and is just big enough to read email and browse comfortably on, yet can be held/carried in one hand easily

Cons
- its not retina (but it's not "bad")
- virtual keyboard is a bit small even in landscape

iPad 4
Pros
- screen
- keyboard

Cons
- weight

I know this will sound a bit "first world problem".... but the mini really is a better portable tablet. I was skeptical, but have both here and have used both today, and I see a market for both.

To those who say the mini is overpriced, and for a little bit more you could have a 4 - its not the point. the 4 is heavy and more unwieldy to carry.

There really is a big difference.

The processor on the 4 is a huge plus IMHO.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The processor on the 4 is a huge plus IMHO.

Depends what you're using it for really.

If you're using it for email, web, maps, virtual desktop, yelp, ebooks, etc..... CPU makes no difference at all really.

Games, sure....

But in general use, sure the 4 is faster but not enough to justify the weight, depending on what you use the device for. The Mini isn't unbearably slow, is what I'm saying, in fact its pretty damn good, if you're not comparing side by side with an iPad 3 or 4...

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

If you're using it for email, web, maps, virtual desktop, yelp, ebooks, etc..... CPU makes no difference at all really.

Games, sure....

But in general use, sure the 4 is faster but not enough to justify the weight, depending on what you use the device for. The Mini isn't unbearably slow, is what I'm saying, in fact its pretty damn good, if you're not comparing side by side with an iPad 3 or 4...

Having twice the processing power has to be considered a positive. Some will take greater advantage of it than others, but still it is a pro.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...But in general use, sure the 4 is faster but not enough to justify the weight, depending on what you use the device for. The Mini isn't unbearably slow, is what I'm saying, in fact its pretty damn good, if you're not comparing side by side with an iPad 3 or 4...

A scooter is pretty good if you're not comparing it side by side with a motorcycle.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I got a Mini for Christmas. I love it as well. A nice size. And, the screen resolution is fine for me. I have used my wife's iPad 3, and while the screen on that is quite nice, it is not enough of a difference to me. I also still have a 1, which I also use depending on the situation.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I thought the mini was pretty quick and snappy, actually, for the normal emailing and web browsing tasks. Didn't notice any lagging or anything. I'm sure if you were loading or playing a demanding game, that you would notice a difference, I guess it depends what you're using it for.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I see you are a new member, maybe you could visit the new member thread and say hi to everyone. While you're at it, could you explain your user name? Is that a request or a statement?

So I just got hold of my iPad mini 16GB. I wanted to live with it for a week before deciding if I'm going to splurge on the 64gb. Let me say, after just 20 minutes of usage, I love it! I consider myself to have very good eye sight and the opticians test it at 20/10 and I hardly find it's non-retina-e-ness a problem. It's so bloody thin!! I will most definitely be returning it for a 64gb version now which I'll use to tide me over till the iPad Mini Retina comes out this autumn period or whenever it does come out.

godzill

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
So yet one more device can go to the refurbished pile and the rest of us pay more for new items because the company prices accordingly.

Wait, now we're not even allowed to play by the rules? If you don't like how the system works, do something about it. Its perfectly within his/our rights to return the thing for any reason in the given time frame.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
A scooter is pretty good if you're not comparing it side by side with a motorcycle.

And a litre sports bike is pretty good until you're trying to fit it down pedestrian foot bridges, too (where the scooter will leave it for dead).

Again, it depends what you're trying to use it for.

Same deal here....

(i ride :D)

edit:
i'm not saying more cpu isn't better. but for the usage ive put both machines through - as a pda type device (not a portable gaming system)... its a non issue.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Games, sure....

The mini is faster than the three...according to the bench marks....

----------

We should go on a date.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Wait, now we're not even allowed to play by the rules? If you don't like how the system works, do something about it. Its perfectly within his/our rights to return the thing for any reason in the given time frame.

Yes it is, but why buy something fully intending to return it. Do a little research and buy it with the intent of keeping it. Of course it is your right to return it if it is flawed or you just don't like it. Sampling costs us all - just saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.