Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

THX, the company behind Lucasfilm's audio/visual reproduction standard for movie theaters, A/V equipment, and more, has released a new iPhone app to assist consumers with calibrating their HDTV's and home theater setups. The app is currently free for one week, but will rise to $1.99 after.

thx.jpg
THX prefers that users connect the app to their television via Apple's official HDMI adapter, but AirPlay Mirroring can also be used for the visual tests -- audio tests won't work over the AirPlay protocol.
But those that do try out THX's method will be rewarded with modest improvements. In our tests, it worked as advertised. Speaking to The Verge, company reps made clear that Tune-Up isn't meant to be a substitute for having a professional visit your home for a thorough calibration. Instead, it's a tool that can (fairly quickly) help your new TV look better than it did the first time you turned it on. And as an added bonus, you'll be able to play the famous "deep note" that moviegoers hear before THX-certified movies in lossless audio.
THX tune-up is a free download on the App Store for 1 week, before rising to $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: THX Releases iPhone App to Calibrate Televisions and Surround Sound Systems

nicholc2

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
This will be cool for folks to hopefully get their sets out of the default "torch" mode that most start in, but definitely doesn't replace a full calibration. I'll probably install it just to see what it says about my tv and sound, though I have a 7.1 setup, not 5.1. Should be fun, nonetheless.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
'Deep notes' are quite easy to produce. Getting the right vibrato does depend on what you had to eat recently.

Bonus: extra room near you.

On topic: Blazing Saddles. *That scene*.

(For the uninitiated: baked beans. Say no more.)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I got bored and kept playing THX Deep Note through my 5.1 up loud. Slightly turned on right now.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Mine settings were pretty spot on, however this app wants my brightness up higher then I had before, guess I'll try it out for a bit.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Am I really the only person here who has had their TV professionally calibrated?
It makes a ton of difference in the colors.
I don't have a full surround system, so I can't comment on that.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
It's a gimmick and marketing ploy.

Perhaps. It's probably nothing more than an advanced version of the THX calibration program that comes with all DVDs and Blu-rays that are THX mastered. Which, if it can use your i-device's camera, will probably make it easier to calibrate colour and brightness/contrast. If that is so, it's worth the $2. But free is better.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
On topic: Blazing Saddles. *That scene*.

(For the uninitiated: baked beans. Say no more.)

"How about some more beans, Mr. Taggart?"

"I'd say you've had enough!"

Attachments

• fart_scene_blazing_saddles.jpeg
    fart_scene_blazing_saddles.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,539

II BISTRO II

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Just tried the app with the Apple TV. The app was simple and intuitive.

Seems my color was up too high and tint too low. Minor adjustments to brightness and saturation.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Am I really the only person here who has had their TV professionally calibrated?
It makes a ton of difference in the colors.
I don't have a full surround system, so I can't comment on that.

You're not alone. I've had my Panasonic 65" VT50 calibrated, and also a 60" Samsung LED before that. Years ago had the Mits RPTV done also. It might be rare for those on this forum, but over on AVS Forum it's very common.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.