Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itzAstonish

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Is this the metal frame or poly version?
Which sell did you order from?

It's the poly version. The aluminum one interfered with the iPhones antenna according to taktik. I ordered it on eBay from the seller "iPhonecase2011"

Let me know if you have any other questions

terry8000

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Well I just bought one as well this morning from the same link as you guys (iphonecase2011) in the black plastic model so I will add pics as will when mine comes in. I'm guessing about a two week wait till delivery though. Would love to see a video review on one of these cases. perhaps i'll have to think about doing something like that although never done one before. Its good to establish some sort of information line regarding consistency and quality from these cases. And again, to the guys who have purchased one please keep updating and posting pics/video i know it helped me a lot. thanks for the info thus far.

terry8000

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
tbh if lunatik had of stuck to their deadlines more and came out with things in a timely manner I wouldve bought it from them. But the way things stand I feel less comfortable betting on their reliability than the knockoff ebay seller. That was really the deciding factor for me. I wont use my phone without a case so its sitting in a drawer and I cant keep waiting on a maybe. Was a shame too cuz it was a great concept and I wouldve liked to support them in it but if they cant get their logistics in order, I cant put my life on hold for them.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
tbh if lunatik had of stuck to their deadlines more and came out with things in a timely manner I wouldve bought it from them. But the way things stand I feel less comfortable betting on their reliability than the knockoff ebay seller. That was really the deciding factor for me. I wont use my phone without a case so its sitting in a drawer and I cant keep waiting on a maybe. Was a shame too cuz it was a great concept and I wouldve liked to support them in it but if they cant get their logistics in order, I cant put my life on hold for them.

I agree with you 100%. Lunatik has some piss poor management.
These fake cases are more then likely the real deal just out the back door of the Lunatik factory in China. I'm sure there are no Americans from Lunatik over there in China keeping an eye on production.

I purchased and paid for the real one and it is a pre-order where they keep your full payment for the case and say 2-4 weeks for shipment.

It's like they are starting the Kickstarter project all over again for a second time on this same case.

Selling a product that they do not have. :mad:

terry8000

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
ya that sure is frustrating. They need to take better care of all those people such as yourself who's money they are already holding on to. Definitly post of pics and a review of the real one when you get it (hopefully more within the two week period ) Would be interested to see the differences. Tho other thing that bothered me with Lunatik to which I posted on their facebook page, was the fact that they havent released any 'actual' 'in real life' pics or video of the iphone 5 case. I would have expected them to at least have samples of the final run they could out up a simple video to actually show it. I guess they didnt do that with the iphone4 case either, but I dont know, I get tired of only seeing rendered pics and professional type commercial video I want to see a real life table top look at the thing you know?

itzAstonish

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
ya that sure is frustrating. They need to take better care of all those people such as yourself who's money they are already holding on to. Definitly post of pics and a review of the real one when you get it (hopefully more within the two week period ) Would be interested to see the differences. Tho other thing that bothered me with Lunatik to which I posted on their facebook page, was the fact that they havent released any 'actual' 'in real life' pics or video of the iphone 5 case. I would have expected them to at least have samples of the final run they could out up a simple video to actually show it. I guess they didnt do that with the iphone4 case either, but I dont know, I get tired of only seeing rendered pics and professional type commercial video I want to see a real life table top look at the thing you know?

I hear ya, unfortunately I don't have the means to record a good video review. I do have a dslr though so I can try to get some better pictures when I have a chance between classes and stuff. The case looks great though. I've been following taktik since kickstarter and this case meets my expectations. The only downside has been that the back of the glass looks a bit tacky like I could see where it's glued but that doesn't show from the front at all. I'm very satisfied with the case and more satisfied that I got it for 1/3 of the price. Replica or not, it's a very nice case and like I mentioned there is a good chance that these replicas are up to taktik standard because they are being made in china anyway, but that's just a theory since I don't have the "authentic" taktik case to compare it too. But note on eBay that they don't list these as replicas and no one has left negative feedback which makes me think either no one noticed because they were satisfied or didn't really care.

terry8000

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
right on. ya I wasnt referring to being frustrated with you guys for not taking video as I appreciate any effort you are putting forth to share info on your own time. Was voicing my frustration with Lunatik fro not even doing what should be considered standard operating procedure in this day and age. I dont know of too many cell phone accessory companies that dont at least send a couple units out to private reviewers and the very least I would have expected is an in house 'real life' look at the final product before they ask everyone to shell out $125 on something none of us has really ever seen in official real life type photos.

Ya I agree it is a good price point for the ebay ones, and I kind of ended up thinking Im gonna spend $50 on an otterbox anyway if i dont get the real lunatik case so I might as well get the knockoff for $50 which is 100times better than the otterbox. So its kind of win win.

I wondered that myself, (if they were seconds or simply out the back door of the factory) although from the promo pics on the lunatik website the only variation seems to be the top recess around the ear piece/facetime camera/mic where there seems to be a semi circle carved out into the side of the recess around where the sensor is to the left of the earpiece. And again whether the final design will have that or not is unknown.

----------

but ya id love to see some DSLR hi res pics if you get the chance

itzAstonish

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
right on. ya I wasnt referring to being frustrated with you guys for not taking video as I appreciate any effort you are putting forth to share info on your own time. Was voicing my frustration with Lunatik fro not even doing what should be considered standard operating procedure in this day and age. I dont know of too many cell phone accessory companies that dont at least send a couple units out to private reviewers and the very least I would have expected is an in house 'real life' look at the final product before they ask everyone to shell out $125 on something none of us has really ever seen in official real life type photos.

Ya I agree it is a good price point for the ebay ones, and I kind of ended up thinking Im gonna spend $50 on an otterbox anyway if i dont get the real lunatik case so I might as well get the knockoff for $50 which is 100times better than the otterbox. So its kind of win win.

I wondered that myself, (if they were seconds or simply out the back door of the factory) although from the promo pics on the lunatik website the only variation seems to be the top recess around the ear piece/facetime camera/mic where there seems to be a semi circle carved out into the side of the recess around where the sensor is to the left of the earpiece. And again whether the final design will have that or not is unknown.

----------

but ya id love to see some DSLR hi res pics if you get the chance

Pretty much thought the same things on all of your points lol if you we're following the taktik and wanted it, get this case. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

terry8000

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
right on. Well I put in the order yesterday afternoon so now the waiting begins lol. Im in Canada so hopefully not too much longer than you guys had to wait (im assuming youre in the US). by the dates on your posts looks like two weeks is a safe estimate. One thing which was really cool about this seller was the emailed me after it shipped informing me that they listed a more agreeable price for the customs declaration paperwork which I really appreciate and in my book that gives them extra points right off the bat. I order a lot of stuff and Im so sick of most sellers I encounter not working with the buyer to help the import duties be more reasonable. I mean the government gets enough of our money without everybody helping make sure they get every cent thats coming to them. So, so far so good with this Hong Kong seller, he has gotten off on the right foot.

M17x

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Just bought it and the delivery is 4 days, just had to pay extra $ 5 for expedite DHL, so total was $ 105.
I thought this is the original back door lost production from China and hey i could saved $25 on the real thing, right?

Arrived yesterday at my door, opened them, put them on. There are several issue. A first i didn't really know the difference between the real one and fake one, but i browse n browse and finally it comes down to this.

1. It is aluminum, tested it to magnet

2. Near home button the finishing isn't so great, looks like a defective item and not smooth 100%

3. Vibe button is a different color than original and very hard to use, u gotta press it against the silent button carefully to activate or deactivate the button inside

4 the front camera cover is awful, made from a simple plastic cover and you can actually brake it if u are not carefully enough.

5. Signal, wifi, screen, everything else was perfect

6. I took a shower with it, opened it up after that. Amazingly, all dry in the inside

7. I dropped it from 6 foot to bare floor, the phone survive but there dent on the case, just a little tiny bit

8. Contact the seller, threaten to dispute over Paypal and she gave me back $ 46 or i could send her back the case and still would have to wait forever for the real taktik. Thought about for a second and i decide to go with this $54 near perfect taktik case

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Just bought it and the delivery is 4 days, just had to pay extra $ 5 for expedite DHL, so total was $ 105.
I thought this is the original back door lost production from China and hey i could saved $25 on the real thing, right?

Arrived yesterday at my door, opened them, put them on. There are several issue. A first i didn't really know the difference between the real one and fake one, but i browse n browse and finally it comes down to this.

2. Near home button the finishing isn't so great, looks like a defective item and not smooth 100%

3. Vibe button is a different color than original and very hard to use, u gotta press it against the silent button carefully to activate or deactivate the button inside

4 the front camera cover is awful, made from a simple plastic cover and you can actually brake it if u are not carefully enough.

6. I took a shower with it, opened it up after that. Amazingly, all dry in the inside

7. I dropped it from 6 foot to bare floor, the phone survive but there dent on the case, just a little tiny bit

8. Contact the seller, threaten to dispute over Paypal and she gave me back $ 46 or i could send her back the case and still would have to wait forever for the real taktik. Thought about for a second and i decide to go with this $54 near perfect taktik case

The more I read the more I'm glad I went with the real Taktik. The iPhone 6 might be out before I receive it but what you going do. :confused:

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth

Huh

itzAstonish

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2012

Who did you buy from? Sounds like a different case

terry8000

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Yeah these cases aren't meant to be waterproof at all in fact even on the original design they feature completely open area over the rear camera port. The case would fill with water if you showered with it. Also the case should be plastic polymer. Not sure you ordered the same case. Are you perhaps thinking of a life proof? Post the eBay link.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
He paid $105.00 should have just sprung the extra $24. and ordered the real deal. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Who in their right mind just gets in a new case that is not water proof and takes a shower with it and then does a drop test from 6 foot onto a bare floor?

M17x

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
The link, it seems the price has lowered.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luxury-Taktik-Silicon-Case-iphon5-Case-Silver-/350701892752?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item51a7763490

I never wanted to buy replica, i thought it was original thing. Please read my reply before commenting.

M17x

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
The kind that makes $ 2,000,000 a year
The kind that bought a apple care +
The kind that own all apple products, some microsoft, some android, some ither gadget
The kind that read tech news every night before he goes to bed
The kind that you would never be in thia life time

Sorry for harsh words, sometime i can be arrogant.

He paid $105.00 should have just sprung the extra $24. and ordered the real deal. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Who in their right mind just gets in a new case that is not water proof and takes a shower with it and then does a drop test from 6 foot onto a bare floor?

puppers

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Detroit, MI
The kind that own all apple products, some microsoft, some android, some ither gadget

Wow - with all that stuff you listed, you would think you could form actual sentences with proper spelling. :rolleyes:

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth

Bahahahaha ok

terry8000

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
? You make 2mil a year? I dont really understand what youre trying to say here. Why didnt you order off the same link as the rest of us are all ordering? Thats part of the purpose off this whole exercise to not only establish if the case is good but to also establish a reputable seller and reliable purchase point from which to get the case.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii

At two mil a year you don't have someone working for you that can order the right product? I wouldn't use harsh or arrogant if I was describing your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.