Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I have a long project over an hours worth and i need to insert commercial breaks. Normally i would do this differently but because of the event it is one long clip. Is there a good way to add in a bump out, slug then a bump back in.
Or should I just use my blade tool, slice then move all the clips down?

edit - i'm using FCP 7. I really need to start learning X this whole rendering thing is driving me nuts. :p

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
what i did was slice the down all the layers on where i wanted the break and created a 1 min slug. I then did an insert edit and it shifted everything down for me which gave me plenty of room to add in my bump out video, 5 sec. slug and then my bump in video then i just clicked the empty space and hit delete to join the cilps together. Worked out well. Now its 6AM time to sleep for an hour and half before dropping off the footage :eek:

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I think you need to seriously look at the opportunities FCP-X can offer you regards your work flow.
I did move from FCP-7 to the new software and my time is cut. I can sit and edit and dont have to wait.
What i find annoying with Apple FCP-7 was an expensive software and without notice cut all ties to concentrate on FCP-X.
See if you can still get FCP-X on free trial.
Good luck with your project. Also dont take your work too serious. The graveyard is full of indispensable people.:)

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
I have a long project over an hours worth and i need to insert commercial breaks. Normally i would do this differently but because of the event it is one long clip. Is there a good way to add in a bump out, slug then a bump back in.
Or should I just use my blade tool, slice then move all the clips down?

edit - i'm using FCP 7. I really need to start learning X this whole rendering thing is driving me nuts. :p

Make sure to check with whomever you need to deliver to how they need it set up. I've worked for networks that require the breaks be to the frame of the commercial break time, others that want 5 seconds, others that want slates, others that want each segment to start on an even minute.....etc....

there is no standard for this and a lot of it has to do with the playback operation and how the commercials are inserted.

But the best way is to slice the video/audio tracks, leave the breaks empty (or put slug in but i never use it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.