Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
So we can assume that you have always chosen the minimum storage solution with any computing device you own.

LOL.

yes.

16gb iphone
16gb ipad
64gb air, when i had one. Living off the ipad for day to day.

Mac mini has 500gb drive, but only 90gb used between 4 users.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
yes.

16gb iphone
16gb ipad
64gb air, when i had one. Living off the ipad for day to day.

Mac mini has 500gb drive, but only 90gb used between 4 users.

Well I'm glad that works for you; the fact that you got by on a 64GB laptop drive means that i can't relate to your usage case.

I'm also glad your prediction about a 128GB iPad was incorrect as well because the cloud is a really expensive solution for me.

Last edited:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Well I'm glad that works for you; the fact that you got by on a 64GB laptop drive means that i can't relate to your usage case.

I'm also glad your prediction about a 128GB iPad was incorrect as well because the cloud is a really expensive solution for me.

If you need some suggestions if getting your data needs down, feel free to ask.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you need some suggestions if getting your data needs down, feel free to ask.

You don't have any suggestions that don't involved daily syncs of music and reducing the number of photos I carry.

I don't have wifi available at work for streaming music, so the higher data plan needed to stream music at work is more expensive than just buying the iPad with the greater capacity, and at the end of two years i can sell my iPad for more than I could a 16GB one. The initial cost may be higher, but amortized over 24 months my total costs are lower.

I also use my iPad for Djing, in addition to my laptop, and resyncing songs and making sure the song databases are correct is a huge headache compared to being able to keep the music on there.

But by all means, suggest an alternative other than 'don't use your ipad so much'.

Last edited:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
You don't have any suggestions that don't involved daily syncs of music and reducing the number of photos I carry.

I don't have wifi available at work for streaming music, so the higher data plan needed to stream music at work is more expensive than just buying the iPad with the greater capacity, and at the end of two years i can sell my iPad for more than I could a 16GB one. The initial cost may be higher, but amortized over 24 months my total costs are lower.

I also use my iPad for Djing, in addition to my laptop, and resyncing songs and making sure the song databases are correct is a huge headache compared to being able to keep the music on there.

But by all means, suggest an alternative other than 'don't use your ipad so much'.

Stop listening to music at work and just use the laptop for DJ work.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Stop listening to music at work and just use the laptop for DJ work.

How do you use your ipad for DJing? with a controller? What is your setup like. I have to play an event in two weeks and will be using my iPad. Curious to know how it works for you.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

How do you use your ipad for DJing? With a controller? What is your setup like. I have to play an event in two weeks and will be using my iPad. Curious to know how it works for you.

Fixed.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How do you use your ipad for DJing? with a controller? What is your setup like. I have to play an event in two weeks and will be using my iPad. Curious to know how it works for you.

I use the Djay. iOS6 supports separate audio channels (its called multi-audio routing) so I have the headphone jack and a USB iMic using the Camera Connection kit.

The headphone level is really low so a cheap headphone amplifier will let you hear in a noisy club.

algoriddim's site has more info on multi audio routing, but its handled in app so there isn't anything for it in the main settings app. It sounds good if your audio files are of good quality and is more fun than using just a laptop.

----------

Not really.

You don't need music at work, and the laptop is fine for DJ work.

You may want these things, but you don't need them.

Nothing about the iPad is a need situation so of course its something we want. Many of us want more than 16GB.

theyooper

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012

Look up IK Multimedia, they have everything you need to do DJ'ing from any mobile device

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
128Gb iPad is imminent. all prayers have been answered.

Not quite all... I want a 128 mini! Even the extra storage won't tempt me back to a full size iPad now I've found how much easier the mini is to travel with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.