Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PFox78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Hi there,

I was wondering whether someone here can help me out.

I've read conflicting reports both here and over the web as to this, so I thought it would be best to check here to see if someone can help me out:

I have Windows PC with about 120 GB of music; I have a 64 GB iPhone and 64 GB iPad. I would really like to get iTunes Match, but I'm concerned as to whether the music I already have on my devices will remain there.

I have some 40 GB of music on each device and that's important to me because I don't always have access to Internet. I'm in the subway, frequently, and when I travel, WiFi is quite limited.

SO, if I subscribe to iTunes Match and finish through the process on my PC, will the music I already have on these devices remain there? Currently, they have been synced from the same PC from which I would like to subscribe to Match.

Thank you all for your time and insights.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I'm not 100% sure if it will still be there. I'm sure it will be. What you can do though is downloaded it back to you device via Match if it disappears.

You don't have to use match as a streaming service. :)

PFox78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I'm not 100% sure if it will still be there. I'm sure it will be. What you can do though is downloaded it back to you device via Match if it disappears.

You don't have to use match as a streaming service. :)

Thank you. I'm fully aware of that; my issue is that I don't have unlimited bandwidth either at home or on my cell account, so I wouldn't want to waste it on downloading files that are right on my PC.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
The music will remain on your iPhone / iPad when you turn iTunes Match on as long as that music has also been included in the initial iTunes Match process from your PC. If you sync some music to your device, delete it from iTunes on your PC, initiate iTunes Match on your PC and then switch on Match on your device then that synced music will be removed.

When I set up a new iDevice I sync about 30Gb's of music via iTunes before switching on Match on that device (which then gives me on the fly access to the other 100Gb as and when needed) - its just a faster process of getting all the music I always want with me rather than downloading it from iTunes Match.
When you switch on Match on your iPhone / iPad it warns you that it will replace all the music on your device but, as mentioned above, it doesn't remove any synced music that is available in iTunes Match.

One thing to note - once you switch on Match on your device you can't do a another sync from iTunes on your PC

PFox78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
The music will remain on your iPhone / iPad when you turn iTunes Match on as long as that music has also been included in the initial iTunes Match process from your PC. If you sync some music to your device, delete it from iTunes on your PC, initiate iTunes Match on your PC and then switch on Match on your device then that synced music will be removed.

When I set up a new iDevice I sync about 30Gb's of music via iTunes before switching on Match on that device (which then gives me on the fly access to the other 100Gb as and when needed) - its just a faster process of getting all the music I always want with me rather than downloading it from iTunes Match.
When you switch on Match on your iPhone / iPad it warns you that it will replace all the music on your device but, as mentioned above, it doesn't remove any synced music that is available in iTunes Match.

One thing to note - once you switch on Match on your device you can't do a another sync from iTunes on your PC

Bucksaddle,

Thank you kindly for this response. This is exactly what I was looking for. It seems you understand fully the reason why I was hesitant to get this: I didn't want to spend an unforeseen amount of bandwidth downloading the same songs that live on my computer. It just didn't make sense to do that.

I'm going to sign up for it over the next few days and report back. I truly hope that it works this way. It will have saved me a ton of time and effort.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Mixtapes .......

Sorry to jump on this post, I have question to ask and as I was interested in itune match myself

I am in a similar situation where my 50GB Itunes library is certainly bigger than the amount of music I can store on my 64GB ios devices .... (life would have been better if apple released a 128GB device !)

Its a shame Apple is not giving a free trial period to allow people the opportunity to see if Itunes Match is suited to their needs

My Music library is made up of a lot of DJ mix tape albums. Shifting only these ones into Itunes match would give me more space on my ios devices...

my questions are :-
1) Is it possible be make the Itunes match process only have some of my music in the cloud ?, e.g only make sure that my mixtapes are in the cloud?
2) IS it possible to have full control of what exactly I want in the cloud regardless?.... eg. keep albums in itunes/ios devices despite there beign a match in the cloud?
3) My Music Library is not organized by Itunes bcos I want direct control of all data... Assuming I find that this itunes Match is no good to me ( and the disable or uninstall it), would my itunes library be affected ..?

Thanks

cooa99

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Sorry to jump on this post, I have question to ask and as I was interested in itune match myself

I am in a similar situation where my 50GB Itunes library is certainly bigger than the amount of music I can store on my 64GB ios devices .... (life would have been better if apple released a 128GB device !)

Its a shame Apple is not giving a free trial period to allow people the opportunity to see if Itunes Match is suited to their needs

My Music library is made up of a lot of DJ mix tape albums. Shifting only these ones into Itunes match would give me more space on my ios devices...

my questions are :-
1) Is it possible be make the Itunes match process only have some of my music in the cloud ?, e.g only make sure that my mixtapes are in the cloud?cooa99

I doubt these will be matched, but they can be uploaded. I do not think you can control what goes and what does not (all or nothing i think).

2) IS it possible to have full control of what exactly I want in the cloud regardless?.... eg. keep albums in itunes/ios devices despite there beign a match in the cloud?cooa99

You can allways not download the "matched songs" therefore keeping your files on your computer. You can also switch match off on your iOS device and sync music through iTunes. Then when you turn match back on, the music your synced will still be there.

3) My Music Library is not organized by Itunes bcos I want direct control of all data... Assuming I find that this itunes Match is no good to me ( and the disable or uninstall it), would my itunes library be affected ..?

Thanks

cooa99

No idea about # 3

PFox78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013

I finally purchased iTunes Match last week... it took about five days for it to complete, but now that it has, I'm quite impressed. I turned it on in my iPhone 5 and iPad and all my library was there! As you noted, the previously synced content remained as such and besides a few albums having the wrong or no artwork, it's pretty amazing to have everything so easily accessible from my phone (without having to have my PC on, as I did with Audiogalaxy before it shut down).

I'm still playing around with it, so we'll see if it holds up well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.