Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
This is probably more device dependant and/or the way manufactures skin Android. Also some carrier bloat can cause hiccups.

For me JB on the GS3 is just as smooth as iOS. I have more app crashes on iOS. On another device, I would could probably experience the opposite. It really depends. I truly wonder how iOS would fair out if avalible on many non Apple devices?

The S3 is a very smooth device, but the Nexus 7 isn't. There's something wrong if stock Android is less smooth than one with a manufacturer skin on top.

It shouldn't be too much to expect a consistent, decent user experience among high end devices.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'd say the same thing. I like both OSes.

There are things from Android that would be great on iOS, like multiple user accounts, but widgets I can take or leave.

Anyone can make a video that shows off the features of their chosen OS. Omg Android is so outdated, you can't even use voice search to set reminders on a particular date.

You see? :p

Actually you can. I used it for instance to remind me on Thursday there is a after work dinner at 6pm on the 31st and it set it up in my calender. I havent tried a geo location for anything yet though for a reminder. It knows where i live obviously since it gives me times to get back home to my house every time i leave someplace.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Actually you can. I used it for instance to remind me on Thursday there is a after work dinner at 6pm on the 31st and it set it up in my calender. I havent tried a geo location for anything yet though for a reminder. It knows where i live obviously since it gives me times to get back home to my house every time i leave someplace.

I was just going by what the video in the OP said...it's obviously outdated :p

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The S3 is a very smooth device, but the Nexus 7 isn't. There's something wrong if stock Android is less smooth than one with a manufacturer skin on top.

It shouldn't be too much to expect a consistent, decent user experience among high end devices.

You know, i have read many complain that the N7 has issues with charging and starting up which ended up being a loose connection to the battery that you had to fix by removing the back cover and doing it yourself. Many have said that was their problem and had fixed it when it was posted as the most likely problem. Must say i havent had any issues with mine and it runs just fine.

We have a N7 and a iPad mini and i like both but my Wife and I use the Nexus 7 way more while our Daughter likes the Mini, ...but it is pretty much hers.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010

If we are talking about the stock Google, I think what you set up was a meeting or an appointment on your calendar and not actually a "reminder" which is just a different way of getting the same result. However, you'd show "booked" at that time on your calendar if anyone shares your calendar. Reminders in iOS wont take any timeslots on your calendar. That's about the only difference I can think of.

I can't imagine why Google hasn't come up with a way to do the whole reminder thing separately, maybe in Key Lime :)

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I was just going by what the video in the OP said...it's obviously outdated :p

Ironically, this shows exactly the issue with iOS. It gets updated once, maybe twice a year and it is the entire OS, even if Apple only changed one icon. Android is constantly updated, as this video shows. IOS hasn't changed since this video. Well, I shouldn't say unchanged. They fixed a ton of bugs, like no OTA updates. (Looks like that iTunes chain is still firmly attached to every iPhone. Another reason I can't stand iOS.)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If we are talking about the stock Google, I think what you set up was a meeting or an appointment on your calendar and not actually a "reminder" which is just a different way of getting the same result. However, you'd show "booked" at that time on your calendar if anyone shares your calendar. Reminders in iOS wont take any timeslots on your calendar. That's about the only difference I can think of.

I can't imagine why Google hasn't come up with a way to do the whole reminder thing separately, maybe in Key Lime :)

No, I set up a reminder. It will remind me as i have it set up for 15 minutes before the actual time and it will remind me mores times if i want it to do so. I can have it remind me 30 minutes before and then 15 If i want. I can also set it up as a task if i want and both will give me a notification.

Last edited:

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
What Android OS, (Does not matter what version) have provided was seemingly easy access to settings. Ex. WI-Fi, Bluetooth, airplane mode..etc. The free access to placing your application where every you wanted on the screen, widgets, themes. Android has also been given a popular name due to Samsung. Samsung has added his own personalized Android features. Dual multitasking, S note, S beam Pop up play..etc. IOS 7 can easily receive these features, but the likelihood that Apple does is 0%. My advice, jailbreak!!:D:D

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
What Android OS, (Does not matter what version) have provided was seemingly easy access to settings. Ex. WI-Fi, Bluetooth, airplane mode..etc. The free access to placing your application where every you wanted on the screen, widgets, themes. Android has also been given a popular name due to Samsung. Samsung has added his own personalized Android features. Dual multitasking, S note, S beam Pop up play..etc. IOS 7 can easily receive these features, but the likelihood that Apple does is 0%. My advice, jailbreak!!:D:D
Where's that iPhone 5 jailbreak huh?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I guarantee you, if the iPhone 5 didn't come with LTE, we'd see more than a handful of devotees saying "LTE is still being rolled out in 2013. Only certain cities would be able to take advantage. It's still not widespread enough." etc., etc.

Guarantee.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
I guarantee you, if the iPhone 5 didn't come with LTE, we'd see more than a handful of devotees saying "LTE is still being rolled out in 2013. Only certain cities would be able to take advantage. It's still not widespread enough." etc., etc.

Guarantee.

Devotees defending no LTE, like in the Nexus, something like this.....

I'm way more than happy to sacrifice LTE to get 15+ hour talk time from the battery. To compare, the iPhone is rated at 8 hour talk time.

It's not like HSPA+ is a slouch either, especially on ATT.

This is a beautiful compromise.

$50 bucks to go up to 16GB.

HSPA+ is no slouch, especially on ATT. It's a perfect compromise between download speeds and battery life. My webpages load in 2-3 seconds on HSPA+ Tmobile. Is LTE even faster? Sure, but a few seconds aren't a deal breaker. If it is that important, wait for the carrier specific versions.

And in exchange of LTE, you get 15+ hours of talk time, 330 hours of standby. Worth it.

The trade off for LTE is so worth it. It's not like HSPA+ is a slouch. It'll be the difference of a couple of seconds when loading pages. In exchange? 15+ hour talk time, 330 hour standby time. I'll take that any day.

Can't make this any more simpler:

1) That's how unlocked phones are sold. Carrier-free, therefore LTE-free. Nothing matches the price point for the specs you get.

2) There will be carrier-specific versions so LTE will be available at some point.

3) The speed of HSPA+ versus LTE, at this point in time, is marginal. We're talking about differences in seconds.

4) The trade off for LTE is nearly double iPhone's battery life (15+ hours of talk time versus 8 hours talk time / 330 hours standby versus 225 hours standby). So a few second difference in speeds for nearly double the battery life? Hardly a "fail."

If LTE is that important to you, that's great, mate. Nexus 4 is clearly not for you. We'll try to party on without you.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Devotees defending no LTE, like in the Nexus, something like this.....

Selective reading. And I'm not now claiming LTE is utterly important (as some of the same Apple fans that used to claim LTE is unimportant are doing with the iPhone 5. You'll probably find them right in those Nexus 4 threads).

Also, I've posted numerous times regarding the shortcomings of the Nexus 4, including regards to LTE and carrier specific versions. Unfortunately, there's a lot more than just the lack of LTE (one of which is poor battery life, which was promised to reach 15+ hours. Something worthy of trade that I express in those posts).

EDIT: And the iPhone 4S never got HSPA+, either. Reconciling between HSPA+ and LTE is significantly easier.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Personally I prefer Android because ios lacks way too many basic functions at this point. It has by far the worst way of handling files, whoever thought that not being able to share files between apps is obviously an idiot. Not being able to attach anything besides photos from the mail app is a joke as well, this is 2013 for crying out loud.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009

The Nexus 7 costs £159, the S3 costs £449. And you're comparing them against one another?

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I disagree that jelly bean makes android as stable as iOS. It's a definite step in the right direction but there's still no contest; iOS is still by far the most stable and smooth.

Agree that Android does do notifications better.

Agree that Android does have a better lock screen.

Prefer iCloud to Androids cloud features.

Siri is better than Google voice search at setting reminders, alarms and calendar events. Also supports geolocation reminders. GVS is a lot faster and tends to know more about facts and trivia than Siri.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with either OS :p

This really is the end game statement.

I think most of the points of contention lie with users like myself, who are long time users of either platform and grew bored with that particular platform.

If everyone gave both platforms and honest try at some point, then half of these points would be moot.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

Guarantee.
Cut it out, seriously.

Do you want to have honest discussions or do you want to keep making up false arguments? I am sick of seeing you post the same thing over and over about these non-existent people. I have no doubt that there are people who would make excuses for anything Apple does, but the same applies to Google.

How about we make up a rule where you have to directly point out when someone flip-flops? It would sure help clear up this issue of flip-flopping. I mean, it's not like this board has thousands and thousands of members, all with differing opinions, right?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Cut it out, seriously.

Do you want to have honest discussions or do you want to keep making up false arguments? I am sick of seeing you post the same thing over and over about these non-existent people. I have no doubt that there are people who would make excuses for anything Apple does, but the same applies to Google.

How about we make up a rule where you have to directly point out when someone flip-flops? It would sure help clear up this issue of flip-flopping. I mean, it's not like this board has thousands and thousands of members, all with differing opinions, right?

Block me.

Though it's interesting you say these are "non-existent people" then say "I have no doubt that there are people who would..." Not antagonizing. Just find that conflicting.

Believe it or not, I've curbed my posts of late. There is indeed a change in the air, even amongst some of the most devoted iPhone fan.

But, seriously, no harm done. Block me.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Block me.

Though it's interesting you say these are "non-existent people" then say "I have no doubt that there are people who would..." Not antagonizing. Just find that conflicting.

Believe it or not, I've curbed my posts of late. There is indeed a change in the air, even amongst some of the most devoted iPhone fan.

But, seriously, no harm done. Block me.

I wouldn't block someone just for having an opposing view. It helps me learn because they can teach me things about the opposite side of the fence.

I just find it ridiculous that you constantly use this premise that so many people here only agree with something when Apple does it. It's not constructive to the conversation and isn't even true. I'm sure there are people who will agree with Apple or Google no-matter what, but they are not the majority and they are not the people in this conversation. That is what I mean when I say 'non-existent'. I just think its extremely silly and unfair to make such statements, rather than have a more honest discussion.

I don't quite understand why you seem to feel that there is change in the air, considering the iPhone just had its best quarter ever, but I for one would like to see iOS 7 pick up the slack. No doubt about that. :)

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Apple just had its best quarter ever. Where is this change?

Uhh, this was not their best quarter ever. Profit was flat fro m the same quarter last year, market share shrunk, revenue estimates missed and let's not mention the very low sales of Macs for the quarter. Apple stock has tanked 30% in less than 120 days. I would call this one of Apple's worst quarters, not best. (BTW, notice how Apple has been extremely quiet regarding exact sales of the iPhone 5? They only would say they shipped 46 million iPhones this quarter, but 10.6 million of that was still in inventory channels. The iPhone 5 is very likely being outsold by the 4 and 4S, primarily in the U.S. because they are subsidized and cheap to buy.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.