Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad-200x118.jpg
Verizon and AT&T have confirmed to MacRumors that they will both carry the 128GB iPad's cellular variant when it launches on February 5th. Earlier, Sprint confirmed to iMore that it will also be carrying the new device.

AT&T is particularly noteworthy because the carrier is offering $100 off tablets purchased with a 2-year data contract through February 14th.

Apple added support for a number of new LTE carriers in the iOS 6.1 update that was released yesterday, and presumably all those carriers -- as well as normal iPad sales channels -- will carry the new 128GB iPad on launch day.

Article Link: Verizon, Sprint and AT&T Confirm They Will Carry 128GB iPad WiFi + Cellular

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Continual surprise updates like this will cause buyers to freeze and wait out of fear of buying something outdated. I'm getting sick of it. New products and even incremental updates from apple used to have much more punch.

128 gb is now going to be old hat for the iPad 5. They'd better have some even better ideas up their sleeve if they expect anyone to blink at it

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Continual surprise updates like this will cause buyers to freeze and wait out of fear of buying something outdated. I'm getting sick of it. New products and even incremental updates from apple used to have much more punch.

128 gb is now going to be old hat for the iPad 5. They'd better have some even better ideas up their sleeve if they expect anyone to blink at it

Agreed. No more new products. Let's hear it for the G5 Powerbook.

:cool:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
128GB for an iOS device? I figured with the progression of iTunes Match and iCloud services, the need for high capacity storage would be going in the opposite direction.

With that much space, can they please figure out an easier way to transfer iPhone video to an iPad?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Thinner, reduced bezel, A7 chip, 128g = a buy for me and most others. Any other bump in specs will be a welcome bonus.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Apples response to the APPL stock collapse is releasing a 128GB iPad? How about work on iOS 7...

How do you know this is a response to their stock price? I'm sure it took them more than a few days to plan and prepare for making and shipping a 128GB iPad. Also, don't you think they're working on iOS 7 as well? I believe they can work on more than one thing at a time. :)

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
at $929 for the wifi/3g, a MBA is far more appealing and useful investment

Except that the MBA doesnt have 3G/4G, so you should be comparing it to the $799 wifi only version...

(which is still too expensive for an iPad)

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Except that the MBA doesnt have 3G/4G, so you should be comparing it to the $799 wifi only version...

(which is still too expensive for an iPad)
mabey for u, but for me I would choose a 128gb iPad over a 128gb Microsoft surface. If money is an issue u have 3 other choices.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Thinner, reduced bezel, A7 chip, 128g = a buy for me and most others. Any other bump in specs will be a welcome bonus.

Yeah, probably a buy for me too as a replacement for my iPad 3, but $799 is a bit steep. Here's hoping increased competition from Android tablets will drive down the cost.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
at $929 for the wifi/3g, a MBA is far more appealing and useful investment

All depends on what you're doing. They're 2 entirely different devices running different OS' and software.

----------

Apples response to the APPL stock collapse is releasing a 128GB iPad? How about work on iOS 7...

Wat? You think they aren't working on iOS 7 yet? You obviously haven't been around long. iOS 7 will be announced at WWDC with release sometime in the fall. They've been working on it since before iOS 6 was released.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Yeah, probably a buy for me too as a replacement for my iPad 3, but $799 is a bit steep. Here's hoping increased competition from Android tablets will drive down the cost.

When has increased competition ever driven down the cost of any Apple products? Apple is the biggest buyer of FLASH memory in the world. More tablet competition isn't going to drive the prices down.

----------

BB needs to get back in the game!

Bwahahahahahahahah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.