Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
really? a smaller apple tv? meh.

Apple lover to friend: Hey, did you hear??? Apple is coming out with a smaller AppleTV!!!
Friend: Ok, great.

Seems like Apple's recent and future releases all have this rhyme to them, Unfortunately.

Where did the innovation go? Making things smaller, lighter, and thinner are great engineering feats, but in no way considered innovative. :(

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
What could be the reason for making it smaller ?

Well, I guess because they can. The only benefit for Apple is maybe even smaller packaging, as this helps to bring the air freight charges down a little (even if it sounds minimal, but selling as much as 2 million devices in a quarter, it does add up) and also reduces their CO2 balance.

Personally I do not really need it smaller or lighter at all. The current one already falls off the rack every time I touch the HDMI cable when cleaning.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Do you have an Apple tv?? The ir remote is a pain in the arse. The remote app which doesnt use ir is a much better option.

I actually really like the remote, still prefer the app if my iPhone is nearby, but would be handier if it were a bluetooth remote.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
It seems odd that they reduced the size such a tiny bit. Could this just be the measurements without the small plastic shell? If the AE is the same size now they can use the same machining process so it wouldn't make sense to reduce size a tiny bit.

Also, I just really want a new time capsule with 4tb drive.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The question is will they sacrifice one of the ports (most likely Ethernet) in order to achieve this slight reduction in size?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I'm wondering if we are going to see Analog out on the device, OR an HDMI passthru, so Apple TV isnt taking up an HDMI input on TVs where they are at a premium. I can't imagine they are going to shrink the box, just to shrink the box, not enough gain in that small of a shrink.

Why on earth would apple go back to analogue? Hdmi slots are at a premium? I have 5 on my tv. More than enough, i def dont want to go anything less than hd now

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Just give us a full ios, 64GB ssd, facetime, cloud, apps, a wireless keyboard, etc..... Then roll out al-a-cart network subscriptions through itunes (whenever the content deal is struck).

By that time who needs the rumored full sized "iTV"?

The profits from a hardware play on a full sized tv is minimal. Because people buy tv's every 4-8 years, and the margins are thin. The money will come from content, in which case itunes would get 30% of our cable subscription bill. Which would be another $30 billion? a year for aapl if most consumers adopted it.

The other challenge may be internet speeds in the USA, which is slow.

This is all a wild guess btw, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :)

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Do you have an Apple tv?? The ir remote is a pain in the arse. The remote app which doesnt use ir is a much better option.

Yes I have one. That's why I was concerned. The remote app is OK. I think they could do a lot more to make it interactive instead of a giant touch pad.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
It needs to be thinner. That is what makes Apple products so great.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I did a JB on my ATV2 and for me I didn't find anything I was interested in. The stock Apple apps are plenty good for me. I restored it back to factory settings after a month.

You should make money by selling your ATV 2 on eBay and buying the 3. Its getting rediculous how much of a premium the ATV2 has due to its ability to be jailbroken.

Xbmc and plex are beautiful.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm so glad they did this. Just today, I was thinking about how wayyyy too big my ATV is.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
Couldn't agree more.. I hope this isn't the only difference

The product code does indicate that this is a minor refresh, not a new product.

I have no idea what the changes (or the reason for the update) may be, but it certainly is nothing big. Maybe the upped the storage capacity slightly to cope with lengthy 1080p movies where available, maybe they put a faster processor in to cope with an upcoming AppStore... Maybe they just had to make slight modifications to the electrical components to deal with specific electrical conditions in some of the countries that just got movies and tv shows... Maybe they fired one the suppliers for child labor and now have to fit a differently sized part from another supplier.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You should make money by selling your ATV 2 on eBay and buying the 3. Its getting rediculous how much of a premium the ATV2 has due to its ability to be jailbroken.

Xbmc and plex are beautiful.

I thought about it before, but selling it on eBay wasn't worth the hassle for me. I'd rather keep it. It's in the bedroom anyway and the ATV3 is in the front room. I'd consider putting it in our Marketplace perhaps.

SHowHawk

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Perhaps they are making this revision of the AppleTV 3,2 just a bit smaller in order to fit into a slot/space on a forthcoming 27" to 55" Apple Display. Plug-n-Play and you have the mythical iTV! Stir in some new channel apps, an iTunes TV subscription plan, and you've "cracked it." ;)
See this blog post (not mine) for the idea: kickingbear.com//blog/archives/268

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
If main features remains the same, this could be a lower cost version. Maybe $79 instead of $99.
Is there really a market for a $20 cheaper Apple TV? I mean, I'm completely OK with the Apple TV being $20 cheaper, but I really doubt that there's anyone out there who's on the fence because of the price difference.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Perhaps they are making this revision of the AppleTV 3,2 just a bit smaller in order to fit into a slot/space on a forthcoming 27" to 55" Apple Display. Plug-n-Play and you have the mythical iTV! Stir in some new channel apps, an iTunes TV subscription plan, and you've "cracked it." ;)

I would actually be stoked by a "modular" AppleTV. That way I could upgrade the puck with new abilities, without having to throw away some huge, expensive display. Alas, it is probably too good to be true. :(

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Of course you're all assuming that Apple will make a big deal about this change and therefore a size tweak is nothing useful, stock tanks blah blah.

For all we know Mr Cook just made the change for his own internal reasons and they will carry on about their business with consumers none the wiser.

Not every product change requires a fantastically magical annoucement.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I would actually be stoked by a "modular" AppleTV. That way I could upgrade the puck with new abilities, without having to throw away some huge, expensive display. Alas, it is probably too good to be true. :(

We will never see the mythical Apple Television until Time-Warner and Comcast agree to terms with Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.