Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Fair comment, each to their own. Tbh, I'm poking fun at some of the tribal elements of justification of ownership (of these devices). Sure, I'm guilty of it too I guess - but the way current gens are being dismissed because of potential new releases makes me giggle.

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
I know..who would buy a heavy thing like Ipad 4 when they know Ipad mini looks great and Ipad 5 will look similar?

Never knew 1.6 pounds was considered heavy. Lol no physical labor in your days? I have a Sony z at 3.5 pounds man that must be a boulder

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
- competition is heating up :)

Yes it is. That's the best news of all.

Nothing motivates Apple like competitive pressure,even though the Apple faithful vehemently deny it. There's no better example than the iPad mini Apple claimed they'd never build.

Look at what a flop that's been.... :D

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I'd rather pay 799$ for this then 899$ for a surface pro with an actual storage capacity of 83 gb

Not trying to start a war here, but technically surface pro will have as much storage as you want if it has a USB 3 port??

Can pretty much get a 2TB USB 3 drive for the same price difference as iPad 64gb -> 128gb....I know being tethered sucks but it's not far different from the iPad being tied to the pc now (I don't really count cloud, then it would get complicated). Not trying to be pro M$ I'd just really like the option an iPad with USB >.<, it's very annoying - especially for business when given USB sticks

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I know..who would buy a heavy thing like Ipad 4 when they know Ipad mini looks great and Ipad 5 will look similar?

Wow, I guess Apple should include a membership to the gym for all the poor souls that can't lift that horribly heavy iPad with retina display. C'mon, really?

PEople who would buy it are those who want an amazing display and insanely fast performance who don't want to wait 10 months. Oh yeah and people who aren't weak......:)

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
You would think if they just released a 128gb iPad then they don't seem to plan on releasing iPad 5 anytime soon. Either that or it was a response to the Surface.

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
Wow, I guess Apple should include a membership to the gym for all the poor souls that can't lift that horribly heavy iPad with retina display. C'mon, really?

PEople who would buy it are those who want an amazing display and insanely fast performance who don't want to wait 10 months. Oh yeah and people who aren't weak......:)

This can not be stated enough. The damn ipad4 weighs less than a high school text book. you aren't holding a flat screen tv...or even a 5 pound device

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
I can't wait! Glad I held off upgrading my iPad 3rd gen... Definitely getting the 128gb LTE. I hate having to manage the skimpy 64gb space on my current iPad. 128 is decent. I hope they will offer 256 and 512gb this fall.

Apple seems to now not have a set product cycle so we will probably see the iPad 5 this fall. Incremental updates here and there. I love it. I HATE the old yearly updates.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
The ipad 5 and mini 2 must have one of the most unpredictable launch dates in the history of Ios. I've heard March, October and even WWDC.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Many comment the 5 will have a slim design like the iPad mini.
Just can't see that in March, the 5 is thicker as it needs a bigger battery.

It will take at least 6-10 months for a Soc/screen to be available that will allow the design to be as thin as the mini.

That combined with the 128GB release , pretty much rules out any iPad 5 until fall and even then I don't think it will be as thin as the mini.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
You would think if they just released a 128gb iPad then they don't seem to plan on releasing iPad 5 anytime soon. Either that or it was a response to the Surface.

It would be beyond silly for a company to upgrade a product, then kill it the next month with a new version, so like you say, I wouldn't expect the 5 anytime soon.

As for its being a response to the Surface, I think actually it's a response to the mini. Come Autumn when both are updated it wouldn't surprise me to see the iPad 5 base storage start at 32GB and come in 64GB/128GB options, while keeping the mini at a base storage option of 16GB (and still topping out at 64GB), that way creating the illusion of "a deal" (since now the 128GB option is the same as the 64GB option was in the previous iPad 4) and also it provides the element of "premium" in the full sized iPad, another differentiating factor between it and the mini.

The ipad 5 and mini 2 must have one of the most unpredictable launch dates in the history of Ios. I've heard March, October and even WWDC.

One could look at it differently and see it's actually very predictable - they're both coming at the end of Summer/beg. of Autumn, one year (the "normal" refresh duration) after they were both launched. March rumours were never numerous, credible or logical, and WWDC if that were to happen would be very strange indeed.

Last edited:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
It would be beyond silly for a company to upgrade a product, then kill it the next month with a new version, so like you say, I wouldn't expect the 5 anytime soon.

As for its being a response to the Surface, I think actually it's a response to the mini. Come Autumn when both are updated it wouldn't surprise me to see the iPad 5 base storage start at 32GB and come in 64GB/128GB options, while keeping the mini at a base storage option of 16GB (and still topping out at 64GB), that way creating the illusion of "a deal" (since now the 128GB option is the same as the 64GB option was in the previous iPad 4) and also it provides the element of "premium" in the full sized iPad, another differentiating factor between it and the mini.

One could look at it differently and see it's actually very predictable - they're both coming at the end of Summer/beg. of Autumn, one year (the "normal" refresh duration) after they were both launched. March rumours were never numerous, credible or logical, and WWDC if that were to happen would be very strange indeed.

Really? There were a few, not just analyst sources. But it is looking less likely to be in March. As for mini 2, I always thought that's even more unlikely. But Apple will release something in March, at the moment the only thing likely would be Apple TV.

----------

Why does the iPad 5 need a bigger battery?

To power a more powerful A7x chip maybe?

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
But Apple will release something in March, at the moment the only thing likely would be Apple TV.

Yes, and let's hope it's something more than a spec bump using up old stock of chips (as someone suggested) - can't wait to find out!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
there's a lot of wishful thinking on this thread if people are expecting/predicting that Apple will be refreshing the ipad or the mini in March/April.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
there's a lot of wishful thinking on this thread if people are expecting/predicting that Apple will be refreshing the ipad or the mini in March/April.
There is indeed. I for one was almost certain about the iPad 5 in March, especially a couple of days ago when the a supposed casing reached the internet. However after the iPad 4 gaining 128 GB just now I don't see how it's possible at all. So we'll most likely see a fall release.

On a second note I think it's sad. We don't really know why Apple isn't releasing an updated iPad now in March but seeing that since the iPad hasn't changed that much since gen 2 it's too bad that they don't apply the Mini design.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I think Apple has more reason to release iPad 5 in March than they did releasing iPad in October. Many would say that the October release had to do with the Lightning connector. Many would also say that, at least for now, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you are using the old cable or the new one.

On the other hand, if Apple doesn't release iPad 5 in March, the bigger iPad is left stuck with the old design next to its younger sibling, iPad Mini, with its new design. We all know that the new design is coming so I would imagine many of us feel that buying iPad 4 now is buying something that is going to be outdated not only because of its hardware (to this we are used to) but because of its design. I mean it does look a bit stupid marketing-wise when you have the slim and futuristic iPad Mini side by side with iPad 4 with its design that has been around for years.

While this is going on, Windows 8 -tablets are surfacing (pun intended) in bigger numbers and even "gen 2" Win8-tablets are coming. I'd imagine this is probably the worst time for Apple to leave the bigger iPad with an soon-to-be-outdated design.

I do agree that releasing the 128Gb iPad is not a good sign if one wished to see iPad 5 within two months. On the other hand, leaving the bigger iPad with the old design for about six months seems plain stupid to me -- especially when Apple are renowned for their design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.