Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Naked i5 dropped 3 feet from my pocket onto hardwood floor and bounced a couple times. My wife knows how much of a perfectionist I am and we looked at each others eyes the second we heard it hit the floor lol. Looked everywhere and could not find the dent, chip or scratches. Flawless.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Last one I dropped on concrete it dented. This one I dropped on laminate wood floor it had a chip..had it been an iPhone 4 the band round the side would have been fine. The screen doesn't feel as firmly put together after the drop though does anybody else have this issue?

Seems a general thing about Iphone 5 not being as strong as the previous models.

Photos please or it never happened!!

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Dropped mine more than once with no damage. However any phone will break if you drop it from a high enough distance. Trust me, I've seen many damaged/destroyed Android phones. It happen if you're not careful enough.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Seems that the general consensus here (as is almost everywhere) is that the iP5 holds up just fine! Sounds like the OP may have either exaggerated the lack of severity of the fall, or gotten extremely unluckly.

Don't drop your expensive electronics. I know it seems like common sense... but here we are.

At least you can rest easy that the 5 will hold up "better" than the 4/4S!

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Seems that the general consensus here (as is almost everywhere) is that the iP5 holds up just fine! Sounds like the OP may have either exaggerated the lack of severity of the fall, or gotten extremely unluckly.

Don't drop your expensive electronics. I know it seems like common sense... but here we are.

At least you can rest easy that the 5 will hold up "better" than the 4/4S!

Fact is that the black 5 is more prone to scratches; It is an legit issue. Of course overall durably appears to be very high.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I dropped my 4S one time from about 2 feet and the screen shattered.

I've dropped my 5 like 3 times already and all its done is scuffed the band.

For me, the 5 has proved more durable.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
basically apple cannot be held responsible for customer's who cannot take care of their own.. OMG :rolleyes:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I dropped my 4S one time from about 2 feet and the screen shattered.

I've dropped my 5 like 3 times already and all its done is scuffed the band.

For me, the 5 has proved more durable.

My buddy dropped my 3GS from knee high sitting down, landed face down flat, screen shattered.

My 4S has dropped from about shoulder height (I'm 6'3) on my bathroom tile and didn't do any damage. Could be because I have invisibileshield on front and back.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Fact is that the black 5 is more prone to scratches; It is an legit issue. Of course overall durably appears to be very high.

Not really the point of this thread, but ok, I'll play along:

Would you rather drop glass or drop aluminum?

Right...

I would still advise "neither", but if you could only drop one, the odds of still having a BETTER looking/working/usable phone is higher with the 5 than the 4/4S.

Cosmetically they BOTH would show signs (were it the exact same drop). Yes, the black aluminum would show damage... but so would the glass (black or white)... If we are having the discussion which one shows wear easier maybe, but as far as DROPS go, the edge goes to the aluminum in more cases than the glass.

Again, despite the cries that the 5 is inferior in terms of "build quality" the ONLY area that has been even remotely proven is that of minor COSMETIC damage. Functionally, the 5 holds up extremely well, even after some drops.

I loved my 4S, but the 5 is superior in almost every way.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Not really the point of this thread, but ok, I'll play along:

Would you rather drop glass or drop aluminum?

Right...

I would still advise "neither", but if you could only drop one, the odds of still having a BETTER looking/working/usable phone is higher with the 5 than the 4/4S.

Cosmetically they BOTH would show signs (were it the exact same drop). Yes, the black aluminum would show damage... but so would the glass (black or white)... If we are having the discussion which one shows wear easier maybe, but as far as DROPS go, the edge goes to the aluminum in more cases than the glass.

Again, despite the cries that the 5 is inferior in terms of "build quality" the ONLY area that has been even remotely proven is that of minor COSMETIC damage. Functionally, the 5 holds up extremely well, even after some drops.

I loved my 4S, but the 5 is superior in almost every way.

What you said was essentially my point. The iPhone 5 is more prone to minor cosmetic damage, but overall very durable.

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
I have a couple questions for you guys...

1) If you drop your iPhone and there's *no* visible damage on the outside (as happened to me today - dropped IP5 onto carpet from about knee hight) and everything works can you assume there has been no damage done to the internal componentry, or is it probable that there could be invisible damage?

2) Is this something you could figure out (i.e. by taking the phone to Apple to have diagnosed) just for piece of mind?

sauder

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
Last one I dropped on concrete it dented. This one I dropped on laminate wood floor it had a chip..had it been an iPhone 4 the band round the side would have been fine. The screen doesn't feel as firmly put together after the drop though does anybody else have this issue?

Seems a general thing about Iphone 5 not being as strong as the previous models.

It's like the iPhone 5 is made out of Play-Doh! :eek:

Seriously, I dropped mine on a laminate would floor and it RUINED IT.

RUINED IT.

iPhone 5 really is the worst build quality yet. Does Apple employees actually use their own devices?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The iPhone 5 stood up very well in impact tests beating its nearest rival at the time, the S3. Any phone that contains glass in its construction is going to display some weakness. The i5 is a vast improvement on its predecessor.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I have a couple questions for you guys...

1) If you drop your iPhone and there's *no* visible damage on the outside (as happened to me today - dropped IP5 onto carpet from about knee hight) and everything works can you assume there has been no damage done to the internal componentry, or is it probable that there could be invisible damage?

2) Is this something you could figure out (i.e. by taking the phone to Apple to have diagnosed) just for piece of mind?

You're ok. Nothing to worry about.

CEO of apple

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
What type of floor is it and what part of the house and was it during morning or evening when this happened?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
The stainless steel used on the 4 and 4S are aprox. 6X harder than the aluminum used on the 5.

Thats the trade off, aluminum to accomplish the lightweight factor.Perhaps a better grade of aluminum would be more acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.