Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StevethePirate

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Apple will never release a 128gb model. Why? They rather push you towards iCloud and collect a neverending stream of subscription fees.

Well that's idiotic. Why wouldn't they? And how do I access all my media in the cloud on a 14 hour transatlantic flight?

That being said, we'll have 128GB iPads and iPhones by Q3 2013.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
With the push to cloud services by Apple, Amazon, etc. I doubt we'll see a 128GB iPhone anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure people said the same thing about a 64GB iPhone. Then it came out. Cloud services are neat, but when most of us have a limit of 2GB of cellular data, we need to store a ton of stuff locally. Also, if Apple had some plans to upgrade the quality of iTunes music to a higher bitrate or maybe offer a lossless format, then storage is still important.

Also, with two resolutions for iPads and three for iPhones, the "universal" apps keep getting bigger. That means more storage. I'm on a 16GB iPhone 4S. If a 128GB iPhone 5S costs $399 or less, I'm in.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Just a thought, but I could see Apple doing away with the 160GB iPod Classic to start putting more storage in the iPhones and iPads. It makes sense with the decline of iPod sales. And maybe taking away the 16GB option and doing 32GB, 64GB and 128GB options but keeping the current pricing structure. And keeping the 8GB option for the previous model.

If the latter were to happen, I wouldn't complain at all. 16GB has done me good, but after accumulating more stuff each year, 16GB just isn't cutting it anymore.

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Cloud services are neat, but when most of us have a limit of 2GB of cellular data, we need to store a ton of stuff locally. Also, if Apple had some plans to upgrade the quality of iTunes music to a higher bitrate or maybe offer a lossless format, then storage is still important.

This exactly. I re-did most of my most listened to albums to be at least 320kbs or lossless if I found the CD in good condition. I don't set iTunes to automatically lower bit rate when adding them to my phone, so my 32GB get's used up pretty quick with just music.

But then again, I don't play a whole lot of games and I can always sync different playlists easily at the moment. I don't know that I would need 128GB version. I've kind of learned to condense myself to fit what I need on a 32GB and haven't felt pressed for space too much.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
An extra 64 GB of memory vs. iCloud (1 GB available to me every month). iCloud can piss off.

You're not playing the game though. Apple and ATT/Verizon want you to USE THAT CLOUD! And with that, of course, you'll need a fat new $data plan. Everybody wins! (except your bank account that is)

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I'm not aware of a single 128Gb chip that is affordable enough for Apple to justify implementing into their device.

I know Apple likes to keep their margins high, but with the $200 extra they charge for the storage upgrade I'm sure they could find something affordable enough. Plus if you actually want to use that storage you will probably end up paying them even more yearly for their iCloud service because that 5 GB they give you isn't going to get you anywhere.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
No.

An iPad in the past has used double memory storage chips. This is because the iPad is (obviously) larger than other iOS devices and can afford this space.

An iPod Touch in the past has used double memory storage chips. This is because there are no cellular antennas like in the iPhone, thus there is more space for another chip.

An iPhone in the past has used a single memory storage chip. This is due to small form factor and space requirements for cellular antennas.

At present, we have only seen a single 64Gb chip as a max capacity for storage size, and these are fairly expensive. I'm not aware of a single 128Gb chip that is affordable enough for Apple to justify implementing into their device.

However, the iPad could certainly use double 64Gb chips to accomplish this storage space of 128Gb. Because we'll likely see a new iPad in the Spring, this reference to 128Gb is surely for the new iPad due out in a few weeks.

I'm guessing this has been mentioned already somewhere (EDIT: looks like dave420 did just above mine...:eek:) but I imagine that if they do release a 128GB iPhone, it'll be more than the standard $100 increase from the previous-most storage capacity, meaning they could likely maintain the profit margin that they currently have.

The move from 64GB to 128GB is an increase of, obviously, +64GB.

The difference in price between the 16GB iPhone 5 and the 64GB is $200 and the increase in storage capacity there is just +48GB.

So, while they could perhaps justify (at least to themselves) charging an extra, say, $250 for the jump from 64GB to 128GB, I think they could more easily justify to everyone else a price increase greater than $100 if they made that increase a flat $200.

Thus, I could see them pricing the next-gen iPhone as follows, assuming there's a 128GB version and the 16GB version is still offered:

16GB = $199
32GB = $299
64GB = $399
128GB = $599

Now, none of this is to say that I agree or disagree with such a scenario -- I personally don't have a problem with it -- but this is what I could see them doing.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I know Apple likes to keep their margins high, but with the $200 extra they charge for the storage upgrade I'm sure they could find something affordable enough. Plus if you actually want to use that storage you will probably end up paying them even more yearly for their iCloud service because that 5 GB they give you isn't going to get you anywhere.

I'm guessing this has been mentioned already somewhere (EDIT: looks like dave420 did just above mine...:eek:) but I imagine that if they do release a 128GB iPhone, it'll be more than the standard $100 increase from the previous-most storage capacity, meaning they could likely maintain the profit margin that they currently have.

The move from 64GB to 128GB is an increase of, obviously, +64GB.

The difference in price between the 16GB iPhone 5 and the 64GB is $200 and the increase in storage capacity there is just +48GB.

So, while they could perhaps justify (at least to themselves) charging an extra, say, $250 for the jump from 64GB to 128GB, I think they could more easily justify to everyone else a price increase greater than $100 if they made that increase a flat $200.

Thus, I could see them pricing the next-gen iPhone as follows, assuming there's a 128GB version and the 16GB version is still offered:

16GB = $199
32GB = $299
64GB = $399
128GB = $599

Now, none of this is to say that I agree or disagree with such a scenario -- I personally don't have a problem with it -- but this is what I could see them doing.

I think this is one of those cases where it comes down to, "Could we create it? Yes! Should we based on profitability and business sensibility? No."

The technology is surely there to manufacturer a 128GB chip, but at high enough yields and low enough costs? I don't think so. Analysts estimate Apple can acquire NAND at ~ $.50 per GB. Obviously this fluctuates with the market, and increases quadratically as chip density increases (price per GB for 128Gb is higher than 32GB). That would be at least a $30-40 increase in price, meaning a huge cut to margins at the $399 priced model.

A $399 64Gb phone is already a whopping $849 at retail in the USA. I bet if you looked at a comparison of who buys each storage model, there would be a very high concentration among 16Gb, some concentration among 32Gb and almost none (except us geeks) among 64Gb.

It makes no sense for Apple to offer a 128GB storage amount at the same price as the 64GB while losing profit. Especially since almost no competitors offer even a 64GB smartphone.

In regards to your $599 proposal for the 128GB model - they would sell almost no units and would definitely need to make that an online only model. It would retail for $1049 in the USA and likely double that in other areas of the world. Nearly no one is going to pay $2,000 for a smartphone.

Like all of us nerds, I could definitely appreciate a 128GB model. But there just isn't enough demand yet, let alone the prices just aren't realistic for real-world production, IMO.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Every time we are near the release of an updated handset the threads on a bigger memory or expandable memory slot crop up.

64gb as the maximum is what will be retained I suspect for some of the reasons already mentioned on this thread and countless other archived ones.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Has anyone considered that the slightly larger iPhone 5 means there might be enough room to fit two flash chips? Or if this isn't possible with the current design, this might be a plan for a larger model with a 4.8" screen.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I was constantly wishing for bigger drives in all of my older iPhones, but at 64 GB, I'm finally happy. I could certainly use 128 GB if it was available, but I don't need it. I think it will be at LEAST 2 years before we see an iPhone with 128 GB.

I'm guessing the 128 GB iPad will come out much sooner ;) I am planning on getting the 128 GB iPad so it can hold all of my family photos. It's such a nice way to share your photos with other people.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I was constantly wishing for bigger drives in all of my older iPhones, but at 64 GB, I'm finally happy. I could certainly use 128 GB if it was available, but I don't need it. I think it will be at LEAST 2 years before we see an iPhone with 128 GB.

I'm guessing the 128 GB iPad will come out much sooner ;) I am planning on getting the 128 GB iPad so it can hold all of my family photos. It's such a nice way to share your photos with other people.

I have no use for that kinda storage in my phone, I'd rather have that in my ipad for sure for the reasons you give, pictures. I have a crap ton of those and would love to put them in the ipad.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Of course it's more likely. I think they'll offer it this fall but make you pay a premium for it. Meaning it will be $499 and they'll also keep the 16 GB model at $199. Come 2014 the iPhone will be available in 32/64/128 varieties only and the 128 GB model will be $399.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

Wow I fit everything on my 16GB, I personally wouldn't want all the on my iPad but sounds like you could really use it

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I wouldn't mind 128GB. I could put my whole iTunes music library on that thing and record hours and hours of video. Probably wouldn't get one until 2014 though even if the 5S this year has it. So far I'm managing with my 32GB and still have a little bit of free space.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Well those idiots who said "Apple will never offer 128GB because iCloud blah blah" just got proved wrong :p

We have a 128GB iPad and we'll have a 128GB iPhone too :D

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
ajpkz7.png

i couldn't find it on the website so i contacted apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.