Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you wake up with a dead iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • No

Votes: 122 93.8%

• Total voters

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Ok so how do I test this, it's 1110PM right now, the battery is at 70% and I'm not plugging it in as I do not feel like getting up.

I bet it will be dead by morning. It's connected to 3G and WiFi and I will be listening to music with the screen off.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Ok so how do I test this, it's 1110PM right now, the battery is at 70% and I'm not plugging it in as I do not feel like getting up.

I bet it will be dead by morning. It's connected to 3G and WiFi and I will be listening to music with the screen off.

Update?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
It's either poor reception as stated before, or you have a rogue app which is raping your battery life.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

If you keep the music on all night I'm not surprised it dies.

Without being more specific you're basically just asking us "why does my phone use power?"

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The majority of the time, my iPhone charges overnight. However, in the few cases where I have not charged it overnight, my battery decreases by about 5%.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Plug it in to charge at night and you won't have that problem.

But I didn't want to, and everyone I have talked to is ending up wondering, "shouldn't an iPhone be able to last the night while not being used" ?

Who feels like reaching all the way across the room to check the first-of-the-morning-messages?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For most people it doesn't die overnight. For some it does, perhaps sometimes, perhaps a lot of the time. It all depends on what's going on with the phone. If there's some sync happening (iTunes Match, backup, etc.), perhaps some app/service running, possibly an app/service crashing and not working correctly, perhaps some sort of notifications coming through often or are stuck, maybe something happening with the signal (cellular and/or WiFi), etc., etc., etc. Plenty of things can run down the battery and it can and usually is different for different people in different places at different times.

One would need to see what's going on with their particular phone to see what it might be and see if that can be addressed (sometimes simply by killing off some apps, sometimes by disabling some notifications, sometimes by restarting the phone, sometimes by fully setting up the device as new, and sometimes it might be related to external things that can't really be controlled, like poor signal or something like that).

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Ok, please. Lets just stop now. To all that haven't looked at the OP history of threads he's started, please do before replying any further.

It's obvious that this person is either someone that loves to get a rise from the Apple community on here or someone that craves attention so bad that he thinks scenarios up to get responses and feel he's important/center of attention. In either case its useless to respond and try to help any situation it seems. Multiple people(including myself) on here have tried to reason with the OP on several threads and have been meet with nothing but refusal to even relize logic. Such in this case where "all of a sudden" his iPhone drains over night and he can't figure it out. If it really is that he has music playing all night I feel sad that someone can't put two and two together. It had to be said, I can take one for the team here.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Never had mine die at night, doesn't mean your phone won't turn off overnight.
Apps sometimes eat battery life, maybe you're leaving something open thats just eating it all?

S

syd430

What an odd thread.

To the OP: Your battery will drain during standby. It will also eventually lose charge even if it's completely switched off. Lithium-ion batteries don't hold charge forever, regardless if you are using it or not.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Can u just plug it in

don't wanna
Ok, please. Lets just stop now. To all that haven't looked at the OP history of threads he's started, please do before replying any further.

It's obvious that this person is either someone that loves to get a rise from the Apple community on here or someone that craves attention so bad that he thinks scenarios up to get responses and feel he's important/center of attention. In either case its useless to respond and try to help any situation it seems. Multiple people(including myself) on here have tried to reason with the OP on several threads and have been meet with nothing but refusal to even relize logic. Such in this case where "all of a sudden" his iPhone drains over night and he can't figure it out. If it really is that he has music playing all night I feel sad that someone can't put two and two together. It had to be said, I can take one for the team here.

I really appreciate the thought your put into this, but you're you're over thinking it really. I listen carefully to everything people say and they really help.

Like this morning, I left my iPhone just as is and I woke up and there was still battery power! I was so happy. Most people sleep with their phones in bed with them.

The iPhone should at least have a night mode.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
don't wanna

I really appreciate the thought your put into this, but you're you're over thinking it really. I listen carefully to everything people say and they really help.

Like this morning, I left my iPhone just as is and I woke up and there was still battery power! I was so happy. Most people sleep with their phones in bed with them.

I would venture to guess that most people don't sleep with their phone in bed with them. They do have a night mode. It's called the sleep button. But if you let music play all night from it, it's going to drain your battery.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
don't wanna

This is my cue to ignore

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Like the MacBook hardly ever dies on you. I actually had to order a new battery and self install it into my iPhone 4. I thought this problem would go away with the 5. But I'm still investigating this.

Also, how did 90 odd people vote that their iPhone doesn't die at night?? This is madness. What do you all do? Plug it in all night?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.