Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

multicore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
I'm still on 5.1.1 due to all the bluetooth problems reported with iOS6. Just wondering how 6.1 is.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm still on 5.1.1 due to all the bluetooth problems reported with iOS6. Just wondering how 6.1 is.

Same, I'm still on 5.1.1 as well. Waiting for people to comment on the performance of iOS 6.1 on it. I want to know if there's any lag when scrolling through the music app.

If you guys can make a short video on it, even better! :D

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I updated to 6.1 today. I do not see much of a change from the 6.0 version. I was able to play a round of Temple Run without the iPod lagging too much. But that could also be due to the fact that the iPod rebooted. I'll give it a couple of days and update my thoughts.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i updated to 6.1 on mine, havent noticed anything wrong so far. but i havent really had the chance to mess with it yet.

nyboy1

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
free RAM

Has anyone tested the free memory yet, because IOS 6 definitely had less free ram than 5.1 and with only 256 mb ... well you know :(

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Ok, took the plunge today and updated to iOS 6.1. Downloaded the whole firmware through iTunes.

Quite ok. I've only touch the music app (because that's the only thing I use my touch for), and it's quite sleek, very little lag. Overall, I'm satisfied. :)

multicore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Went to 6.1 here too. Glad to report no problems with my Motorola bluetooth headphones. Thanks for all the responses.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Yes

My touch 4g works great with iOS 6. Granted there was an error and my iPod was accidentally restored. But now it's ok and faster than ever.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Aside from x.x.1 releases, this will probably be the last update for the 4th gen. No way it could run iOS 7. Glad performance is good with the latest update.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
IOS 6.1 is smooth with limited "lag" it is jalbroken with the recent jailbreak released yesterday. It is not going to be as fluid as the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 due the 800Mhz processor and 250mb of RAM, but it does its job at the end of the day

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
IOS 6.1 is smooth with limited "lag" it is jalbroken with the recent jailbreak released yesterday. It is not going to be as fluid as the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 due the 800Mhz processor and 250mb of RAM, but it does its job at the end of the day

Same, jailbroken. With some tweaks, it runs faster.

6.1 stock is quite stable. Most works without lag. Although App Store and iTunes still lag :(

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

4th Gen iPod Touch here, and running 6.1 fine since the day it dropped.

No problems, but I don't use Bluetooth.

For what it's worth.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Maybe just an impression, but I think 6.1 a much better experience than 6.0.x on iPods Touch 4 th gen.

I tried iOS 6.01, and wished I hadn't. I don't utilize Bluetooth, but for everything I do, iOS 6.1 has worked quite well.
Lately, I've had an infrequent/intermittent problem with delayed printing of characters when I'm typing at a natural clip. I could be a number of things, I just don't know which. Has anyone else experienced this?

Beware of stinking Facebook when you upgrade! It will take over your Calendar and Contacts leaving entries you cannot delete! Go into Settings > Facebook > and switch off Calendar and Contacts. Thanks to Utilitap, maker of Week Calendar, and their VERY fast query responses, I hadn't broken too many glasses!

After it all, I still hate Facebook! Before I had the answers, I tried to delete the errant entries which was impossible! Then I tried to delete Facebook, and it decided I was a hacker, so it blocked me from killing it! As soon as I fixed the problem, I went back to Facebook, AND I KILLED THE HATEFUL THING! Now I feel better! Time to sweep up the glass!

Last edited:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
My friend upgraded his 4th gen to 6.1 and it seems to preform the same :)

So then there is no reason to update?

----------

My touch 4g works great with iOS 6. Granted there was an error and my iPod was accidentally restored. But now it's ok and faster than ever.

Can you elaborate on "faster than ever"?

----------

Maybe just an impression, but I think 6.1 a much better experience than 6.0.x on iPods Touch 4 th gen.

Ok but can you elaborate as to what makes it a better experience specifically? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.