Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I would actually be stoked by a "modular" AppleTV. That way I could upgrade the puck with new abilities, without having to throw away some huge, expensive display. Alas, it is probably too good to be true. :(

I hope they do that and then transfer the idea back to the mac line. You know like have a nice powerful computer box with desktop computer that plugs into an expensive external display so you can easily replace the box and keep the display for a few generations. I bet the PC world would steal that idea though.

----------

What point would there be in it having an A5X processor? The A5X is just an A5 with an extra GPU to help drive the iPad 3's retina display.

Because the average macrumors nut just wants Apple's latest marketing buzzword without actually paying attention to what the item actually is.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I want the 'big' Apple TV...you know the mythical one we are waiting on. :D

Oh brilliant. So you can buy a nice shiny TV screen that's good for at least 10 years, and throw it to the curb after 2 years because Apple won't give you OS updates for it, won't support it, and it has no standard ports. Kind of like the latest iMac.

You never will see the 'big' Apple TV. At best you'll see ATV become useful and you'll replace it every couple of years.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Will be interesting to see where this leads. They must be shrinking it down for a reason, and I doubt that would be the only change they make. I'm assuming there will be new hardware in it, but with the current hardware coping just fine it must be for some new feature i.e. App Store.

I hope you are right. My guess is that they are running short of reject A5 chips so they are going to switch to reject A6s. As such, they can shrink the box a bit further too.

Of course, I'd love for much more. For example:
  • native support for BD audio codecs superior to 1992's Dolby Digital
  • support for added video horsepower to go fully toe-to-toe with what BD can deliver (these first two are about nullifying the most tangible advantages that BD has over :apple:TV even if that quality of content doesn't show up in the store)
  • an addition of analog audio out for us zone 2 receiver owners
  • normalized USB port for those of us that would like various amounts of local storage (just add whatever we want and sync like we used to with gen "1")
  • native support for 24fps and 60fps rather than just 30fps. I've had a 60fps consumer camcorder for about 4 years now. I'd love to be able to see "buttery smooth" playback of 60 over 30. And pretty much all movies are 24fps.
  • h.265 support
  • pretty open app store for third parties to evolve it into what we would wish it would become (if only Apple would pour it on with this product)

Personally, I don't long for Siri functionality built into it (other than the gimmicky effect, I don't imagine that being a great benefit in the day-to-day usage). I don't imagine all of the video players giving Apple domination over the video business (like their music cousins did over music) so I don't expect the much fantasized-about, commercial-free, much cheaper than "I" pay now, al-a-carte cable TV killer service. And I don't expect 4K "ultra HD" playback hardware but that would be a whopper surprise.

I'd love NAS media storage options. I'd love certain software features that existed in the 2007 edition to be resurrected: stuff like folders for serialized movies (Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, etc), our own movies under "movies", our own TV shows under "TV shows", etc. IMO, there's much more hope in software advances/resurrections than hardware.

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
A6, not A5X - Apple will want to phase out A5 this year, so everything is minimum A6. First: Apple TV- A6- no X needed. Certainly not A5X- it's a dud chip! Won't appear in any device again.

New rumours suggests I am wrong :('

Last edited:

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I have been wanting to get an Apple TV for some time, but there is so much uncertainty in this area that I can't pull the trigger. There is no way I'm buying a new "TV", my current one is fine and will last for years, but I would like the hockey puck, but have been paralyzed by the churning of the rumor mill. I wish they would release a new model soon so that I could feel like I'll get some life out of it before they do something else.

Im not at all loose with money, but at less than $100 I think its a pretty safe buy at any time (unless you are in a country with very limited channel apps).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
4K and h.265 ;)

Probably too soon for both. But I'll hope with you.

----------

I'm wondering if we are going to see Analog out on the device, OR an HDMI passthru, so Apple TV isnt taking up an HDMI input on TVs where they are at a premium. I can't imagine they are going to shrink the box, just to shrink the box, not enough gain in that small of a shrink.

Are you new here? Apple loves to spin "thin" and "light" even for devices that we don't take anywhere. I can't tell you how often my friends ridicule my overly thick iMac 2010 since the new one came out with edges that appear to be just a few mm thick. :rolleyes:

Smaller & lighter than ever has been a long-term spin theme for Apple.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
The thing gets smaller and smaller while the content is restricted and has been stale.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I knew that the 4th gen would be coming, but I pulled the trigger on the current model last week from Best Buy - mainly to give it a go and see what it's all about. I really enjoy it a lot!

With the update that was just released indicating a new model and now this latest news, I just confirmed that I bought it at the wrong time! I think I will be returning it on day 30 and waiting for the latest and greatest, hopefully sometime before the end of March. A faster CPU and more ram is always welcomed, regardless of the device!

We shall see!

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I would actually be stoked by a "modular" AppleTV. That way I could upgrade the puck with new abilities, without having to throw away some huge, expensive display. Alas, it is probably too good to be true. :(

Hadnt thought of that. Now you say it, it seems obvious and a good idea.

With a high quality display, there is really no need to upgrade so often just for the display - thats why TV makers are constantly trying to come up with the next gimmic to move units to the public. However the tech of the "smart" side probably moves a little faster, so the modular idea would work well allowing a mid cycle upgrade in terms of the overall unit, which would allow it to run the latest apps, if that ever happens, and also bring in mid cycle revenue for Apple. However I think it would need to be a lot thinner to fit in to any panel Apple would release.

----------

We will never see the mythical Apple Television until Time-Warner and Comcast agree to terms with Apple.

Which will happen once we work out a way to get steve jobs to do some posthumous hard line negotiations with these types of dinosaurs.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Well certainly no internal SSD then, which is a shame. I would wager this will have WIFI AC, along with new Time Machine / Airport Express / Airport extreme following shortly after. Quite possibly an increased flash so as to accommodate a few custom apps, but nothing more...

You do realize that there is an iPhone 5 with maybe 1/2 the internal space that has 64GB of flash storage, right? Even the current ATV models have 8GB. It's not really going to matter unless Apple opens up the OS to developers so we can get custom apps.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Which will happen once we work out a way to get steve jobs to do some posthumous hard line negotiations with these types of dinosaurs.

I don't even think zombie or supernatural Steve could pull that one off. They've seen what happened to their music industry cousins. They'll never want to be as under Apple's thumb as those guys. They'll do anything they can to prevent that from happening. The music deal enriched Apple at the naive music industry's expense. The video side would rather enrich themselves rather than just hand it all over to Apple. Besides some of the key video players control the crucial "last mile" by also owning the broadband business through which Apple's hypothetical super-replacement would have to flow.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Apple TV hardware is fine. What they need to fix is the UI.
Give us back what we had.
The new new icon layout is preschool.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
If this is the only change then they are truly lost when it comes to what their customers want.

EXACTLY. Customers want NAS support so its not necessary to keep a Mac powered on with iTunes open just to stream movies they already own !!!!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You do realize that there is an iPhone 5 with maybe 1/2 the internal space that has 64GB of flash storage, right? Even the current ATV models have 8GB. It's not really going to matter unless Apple opens up the OS to developers so we can get custom apps.

...and even then, I don't get this belief that it needs more on-board storage for the hypothetical apps. It's not a mobile device like an iPad. Since it is pretty much an im-mobile device it could stream thousands of apps from it's master computer running iTunes just like it streams a movie or music. It only needs enough local storage to "play" one thing at a time (one song, one movie, one app).

But, that said, I would love for a normalized USB port so that those interested could attach whatever level of local storage desired (resurrecting an old gen-1 feature that was great and is missed by some of us). And /or NAS storage options to cover this same base.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Im not at all loose with money, but at less than $100 I think its a pretty safe buy at any time (unless you are in a country with very limited channel apps).

Only safe if you avoid replacing your cable bill with an even higher Itunes Music Store bill.

It's a content play...

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I have been wanting to get an Apple TV for some time, but there is so much uncertainty in this area that I can't pull the trigger. There is no way I'm buying a new "TV", my current one is fine and will last for years, but I would like the hockey puck, but have been paralyzed by the churning of the rumor mill. I wish they would release a new model soon so that I could feel like I'll get some life out of it before they do something else.

Hmmm...Is it really such a major decision? It's $99.00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.