Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, it seems still google maps is not available for my country. Are they gonna make it available world wide? Google maps works fine for my local area. I used it most of the time when I was using my previous phone, which is a galaxy s2.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Only way around this is by creating a Apple ID with a US address and telephone number. Instructions is found below.

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Only way around this is by creating a Apple ID with a US address and telephone number. Instructions is found below.

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534

And then can I get back to my original Apple ID once the app is installed? will I be getting updates if I do that in that way?

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
And then can I get back to my original Apple ID once the app is installed? will I be getting updates if I do that in that way?

apparently yes, for both your questions. I checked with a friend who does this regularly. Haven't tried it out myself. will do and let you know.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland

Yes. You just install Google Maps, then you log out of the US store and log in again with your local, regular account. Every once in a while, when updates are released, you will have to log in with the US store again to download them, and so on.

I do this regularly with a couple of apps that are not available in my country (some local US newspapers and Pandora, for example).

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Yes. You just install Google Maps, then you log out of the US store and log in again with your local, regular account. Every once in a while, when updates are released, you will have to log in with the US store again to download them, and so on.

I do this regularly with a couple of apps that are not available in my country (some local US newspapers and Pandora, for example).

You don't have to log in to update those apps anymore, just enter your password :)

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Created a USA ID and searched the app store with "google maps" as the keyword and still the same list of apps coming up! I cannot see google maps in the list! Perhaps the search results are being produced using my current location as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.