Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
So, I've been having kind of a crisis of conscience lately regarding my new iPad. I have a Mac Pro that I use purely for photoshop work and an old Macbook Pro from 2008 that I use to run my business, basically just to create estimates and invoices, archive financial documents, and for everyday web browsing on the slow days. I got an iPad Mini about a week ago with the intention of it eventually replacing my MBP. I like the idea of having an ultra-portable tablet that I can take to client meetings and use to show off my portfolio and run my business, but the more I work with it the more I'm disappointed by it's limited usability.

The bidding/billing software that I use on my MBP (Blinkbid) doesn't have an iPad app, so I'd have to either keep the MBP and use another billing software on the iPad while keeping it all in sync manually, or just switch to another billing software all together, which I really don't want to do. Even if I did get rid of the MBP, I can't really keep any kind of files other than PDF's on the iPad. I'd be forced to use my Mac Pro, which isn't an option, or just get another computer to run my business from. Basically, if I keep the iPad and get rid of the MBP, I'm going to have to get another computer to run my business anyway. All I've used the iPad for is web browsing and playing angry birds when I feel like distracting myself from work, and I can't see any other use for it in the future. Is there anyone out there who can convince me that an iPad is a viable replacement for a Macbook Pro?

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
So, I've been having kind of a crisis of conscience lately regarding my new iPad..........

Although I understand your Plight on Programs and files unable to be kept on you Ipad, some simple research would have prevented this. You could have any time google search ask a forum or look on the itunes app store for that info. No I don't regret buying my ipad since it does what I need.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
So, I've been having kind of a crisis of conscience lately regarding my new iPad. I have a Mac Pro that I use purely for photoshop work and an old Macbook Pro from 2008 that I use to run my business, basically just to create estimates and invoices, archive financial documents, and for everyday web browsing on the slow days. I got an iPad Mini about a week ago with the intention of it eventually replacing my MBP. I like the idea of having an ultra-portable tablet that I can take to client meetings and use to show off my portfolio and run my business, but the more I work with it the more I'm disappointed by it's limited usability.

The bidding/billing software that I use on my MBP (Blinkbid) doesn't have an iPad app, so I'd have to either keep the MBP and use another billing software on the iPad while keeping it all in sync manually, or just switch to another billing software all together, which I really don't want to do. Even if I did get rid of the MBP, I can't really keep any kind of files other than PDF's on the iPad. I'd be forced to use my Mac Pro, which isn't an option, or just get another computer to run my business from. Basically, if I keep the iPad and get rid of the MBP, I'm going to have to get another computer to run my business anyway. All I've used the iPad for is web browsing and playing angry birds when I feel like distracting myself from work, and I can't see any other use for it in the future. Is there anyone out there who can convince me that an iPad is a viable replacement for a Macbook Pro?

No, I can't. I got an iPad to have fun with, not run a business. Sorry it doesn't fit your needs, but I don't see them replacing traditional computing quite yet.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Yea, but Tim Cook states he uses his iPad 80% of the time ;) Maybe too much fun and not enough work for Tim, see stock price :)

But seriously, it's not often a good idea to replace a MacBook Pro that's being used for creating content with an iPad and not expect it to be more cumbersome.

A MacBook Air may of been a better choice for you, exchange your iPad for an 11" maybe.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I'm using my ipad now but yes I know where ur coming from. I just don't wanna regret giving the ipad and ipad mini up cuz I know as soon as I don't have me I will miss em

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My iPad mini does everything I want it to do, but I am not trying to replace Mac or PC(although I do find myself using it a lot more since I sold my MBP).

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I understand what you are saying...even tho Im on my iPad several 6+ hours a day its all "distraction" type stuff and not productive. I also use my iMac for photoshop and design, and I often try and find reasons to use my iPad beyond the obvious media consumption.

The frustrating thing is the hobbled functionality is no longer the limitation of the iPads hardware rather its artifically limited or hobbled by Apple to not cross over into OSX territory. The iPad could be so much more, but its not what Apple wants or the market dictates right now...maybe someday soon

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
i love using it for light web surfing, YouTube (when its not completely slow), and taking notes in class. I've never liked carrying around my laptop to school. Especially with the mini, it's just more convenient. But I can see how it's not really a huge need but it definitely is a lot more compact.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I want an Ipad, so i bought one and enjoy using it mostly for funness.

U dont really need one or can't live without one because laptop/netbook can pretty do the same and better. Still for entertaining purpose, people chose to buy one. Obviously not for work. In future, maybe when tablet is starting at 500GB and charge the same price as laptop.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Is there anyone out there who can convince me that an iPad is a viable replacement for a Macbook Pro?

That's the whole point. It's not, and now you've just found out for yourself why.

I agree with the MacBook Air. Run your business AND have a nice portable device to showcase your work to clients.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Yea, but Tim Cook states he uses his iPad 80% of the time ;) Maybe too much fun and not enough work for Tim, see stock price :)

But seriously, it's not often a good idea to replace a MacBook Pro that's being used for creating content with an iPad and not expect it to be more cumbersome.

A MacBook Air may of been a better choice for you, exchange your iPad for an 11" maybe.

I may do just that.

I just thought maybe, even if it didn't fully replace my Macbook pro, it would improve my productivity and help me run my business a little more efficiently. But it's been nothing but a distraction and a toy since I got it. The rare instances that I actually use it in a productive fashion haven't been enough to justify the cost. It's always something that I could have done with my phone or my laptop and I always seem to have those within reach. Maybe I'm just in the wrong business for iPad productivity ;)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I go out of my way to find software that works (and syncs!) on both Macs and iPads. If they don't do that, I move on.

It's what has allowed me to go Mac Pro & iPad for 95% of the time and basically retire my laptop.

You seem un-willing to switch software, but here's the deal: Either buy different software or go back to buying $1,500 laptops instead of $400 iPads. I decided that changing software made more sense to me. That's up to you, of course, but you've gotta compromise somewhere. If your compromise is "spend more on computer hardware" then, ok, go for it. But be aware that that's the choice you're making here.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
iPads are not for everyone. Despite all the attention they have been getting.

They have some very big limitations, just like all tech hardware does, depending on each individuals needs and usage.

My _must have_ Apple gear consists of MBP's MBA's, a Mac Pro, and related peripherals.

My _optional_ Apple gear consists of my iPad 4, iPad mini & iPhone.

I use iPads for content consumption and a nice change from the computers when I simply want to surf the web.

I _must have_ a smartphone, but either Android or iOS fill that need just fine. The fact that I use an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 is due to two factors. One is my love of variety, the other is the fact I maintain a private line & a business line.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I go out of my way to find software that works (and syncs!) on both Macs and iPads. If they don't do that, I move on.

It's what has allowed me to go Mac Pro & iPad for 95% of the time and basically retire my laptop.

You seem un-willing to switch software, but here's the deal: Either buy different software or go back to buying $1,500 laptops instead of $400 iPads. I decided that changing software made more sense to me. That's up to you, of course, but you've gotta compromise somewhere. If your compromise is "spend more on computer hardware" then, ok, go for it. But be aware that that's the choice you're making here.

That's a solid point. I guess if I really want to go iPad-only I have to consider the options that are available to me there. It is difficult, however, to consider switching to a new program when I've already invested $250+ and have 5ish years of financial info in the software that I'm already using.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I want an Ipad, so i bought one and enjoy using it mostly for funness.

U dont really need one or can't live without one because laptop/netbook can pretty do the same and better. Still for entertaining purpose, people chose to buy one. Obviously not for work. In future, maybe when tablet is starting at 500GB and charge the same price as laptop.

It depends on how you define better....

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I find my iPad extremely useful and use it a lot more than I expected! I use it in class, at work, and at home. Handles everything great and is very portable, don't even notice it in my backpack!

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
OP, I understand how you feel about this. I think you should keep iPad mini because like me I always depend on Calendar app to schedule appointment/meeting (I have too many appointments) so whenever I am done with appointment they gave me another one so I input them on my iPhone and iCloud sync'ed to my MBP and iPad I can check calendar from my iPad. :apple:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
That's a solid point. I guess if I really want to go iPad-only I have to consider the options that are available to me there. It is difficult, however, to consider switching to a new program when I've already invested $250+ and have 5ish years of financial info in the software that I'm already using.

How difficult would it be for you to extract that financial info? Maybe not for this instance, but say your current software provider closes shop, how easy will it be for you to move on to different software? Something to think about, since you are worried about product tie-in.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I never thought I would say it but... recently I sold my original iPad to help pay for a holiday. I thought sometime down the line I would end up buying a newer model aka the iPad mini. Bought one for the gf for xmas...and the other day my brother let me borrow his.

I was bored...the OS is boring now... I think my iPhone 5 is great...but the iPad is really lacking now it just feels ancient and boring. They have to do something with the space they have on a larger screen...the icons etc are just really lame now.

Can't wait for the surface pro...to do real work on it in photoshop, mudbox and 3ds max. The live tiles are pretty cool too although I hated them when they were first announced... after messing about with it they make sense..and I like being able to see info straight away without having to jump into the app...

So now I don't think I will buy a new iPad until they decide to make some changes to the OS. Don't get me wrong.. IOS is fantastic, stable, quick etc but its just ... boring now.

Edit: The only real advantage the iPad has over everything at the moment its the app store...I have invested quite a bit into it... so I hope sometime in the future I will buy a new iPad.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Great post and thread.

I have also run into issues with the iPad. It is a great device, and I once thought it could replace all of my computing needs... but it has certain limitations that can make it very frustrating in certain situations. For most of my routine activities, the iPad is fine, and I use it more than any other device. For heavy lifting, I need a desktop/laptop OS. I think it is really a matter of picking the right tool for the job.

Now, I do my major content creation at a comfy desk with a desktop workstation (nice big monitor, keyboard, etc). I do my mobile stuff with the iPad, since the light weight + long battery life are very important to me. Of course, this limits my mobile productivity to light weight activities: email, calendar, notes, document review and annotation, outlines and short document creation, etc. I can easily write a one or two page document on the virtual keyboard, but anything much larger that requires a fair amount of copy/paste is done on the desktop.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

I'm a CPA and have yet to really find a great use for an ipad other than as a "fun" device. I've yet to come across a client who actually gave me anything created on an ipad. It's basically Quickbooks the majority of the time. I've got to be able to run that plus other windows programs such as tax, audit, or Office. So, no, an ipad really has no place other than to use to link into my computer or show off a PDF to a client.

My advice would be to accept an ipad for what it is. Get the cheapest one (I can't see paying 829 again for one). And have fun... Save the upgrades (beyond base model) for the computers. I might look at a Surface Pro later.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm a CPA and have yet to really find a great use for an ipad other than as a "fun" device. I've yet to come across a client who actually gave me anything created on an ipad. It's basically Quickbooks the majority of the time. I've got to be able to run that plus other windows programs such as tax, audit, or Office. So, no, an ipad really has no place other than to use to link into my computer or show off a PDF to a client.

My advice would be to accept an ipad for what it is. Get the cheapest one (I can't see paying 829 again for one). And have fun... Save the upgrades (beyond base model) for the computers. I might look at a Surface Pro later.

I'm ipad-less at the moment although I can use the Mini my GF has.

Why I highlighted is I no more than an one hour ago read an article in Wired magazine advising folks to stop concentrating on the hardware with the emphasis on the fact that the specs are ever changing. Concentrate on the APPS, that's where the meat and potatoes are.

So if one is a first time buyer of an iPad and can stand the Mini so to speak (what's not to like for the price really), you have more money to spend on the meat and potatoes! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.